Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Your "vision test" is limited to only what YOU can see. And that's somehow more valid than published market research? Wow.

It is the #1 selling watch in the world.

As of 2017
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-outsold-the-entire-swiss-watch-industry-in-2017-2018-2

Sounds like my vision test is working.

Oh and your link? Here's a quote lol
"In 2018, the main players in the smartwatch market were Apple, Fitbit, Samsung and Garmin. Apple entered the smartwatch market in 2015, launching its highly anticipated Apple Watch, which now dominates the market.

More than 9 million units of the Apple Watch were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2018, making up more than 50 percent of the global smartwatch market share. In comparison Samsung shipped 2.4 million smartwatches during the same period, a market share of about 13 percent."

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Your "vision test" is limited to only what YOU can see. And that's somehow more valid than published market research? Wow.

Maybe Timmy can't hide a guilty conscience, which is what most people should have when they're selling a lie.
[doublepost=1568238630][/doublepost]

Great perspective from real experience - thanks for your input. I agree it's more work to manage multiple (+private) distributions on hard media. But any mature source control / build system should mitigate such complexity in the current era.

My criticism also should include the parallel 13.0 + 13.1 situation, which is also a sign of incompetence.
"My criticism also should include the parallel 13.0 + 13.1 situation, which is also a sign of incompetence."

How so?

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
you try running a team of tens of thousands of engineers.

Apple doesn't have teams in the "tens of thousands" size. Maybe thousands.

I've worked as an engineer on large teams (in the thousands), so I know the telltale signs that indicate when "things" are "working", "not working", "messed up", and "really (*$!!-ing) messed up". Apple is definitely NOT performing in the "working" category.

Also, it not just about who is "running" the team. Working effectively as an engineer on a large team requires skills that are becoming rare in today's tech industry.
[doublepost=1568240767][/doublepost]
"My criticism also should include the parallel 13.0 + 13.1 situation, which is also a sign of incompetence."

How so?
see above
[doublepost=1568241241][/doublepost]
Are they really that incompetent to just leave it in there? Do we really think that?

I think we might hear more about it in October...

Given Apple's extreme secretive policies aimed at PREVENTING the disclosure new products, this leak is a screw up.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
If this is a one hit wonder, then name any other tech company that has introduced anything other than copycat tech that others have designed, that has been a success. Please don't say Windows phone, or Surface, or any other tech that is a re-hash of an original product.

Granted the iPod is a re-hashed Rio, but really how good was the Rio MP3 player?

It is the #1 selling watch in the world.

As of 2017
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-outsold-the-entire-swiss-watch-industry-in-2017-2018-2

Sounds like my vision test is working.

Oh and your link? Here's a quote lol
"In 2018, the main players in the smartwatch market were Apple, Fitbit, Samsung and Garmin. Apple entered the smartwatch market in 2015, launching its highly anticipated Apple Watch, which now dominates the market.

More than 9 million units of the Apple Watch were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2018, making up more than 50 percent of the global smartwatch market share. In comparison Samsung shipped 2.4 million smartwatches during the same period, a market share of about 13 percent."

Apple did indeed move the smartphone forward by great leaps. But as smartphone tech started to commoditize, other suppliers built good enough, as-good, and even better phones - so Apple's market share has been decreasing as good lower priced phones took market share. But it took a while - MUCH longer than the current smartwatch trend showing basically the same trend. Also, Apple's perceived success in the the smartwatch may be a phenomenon of iPhone owners having a greater desire to consider a smartwatch compared to owners of other smartphone brands.

Comparing smartwatch data to limited non-smartwatch data is not valid. Claiming Apple watch outsold the entire Swiss watch industry is irrelevant. And then concluding it's the #1 selling watch is is pure fantasy.

I own a 21 year old Swiss watch, and wear it as my "daily driver". The same watch can be bought on the used market for $2000 (over twice what I paid for it new). The current model of my watch sells (new) for $4500 - $5500. The new version has some minor updates, but from across the table most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The market for Swiss watches cannot be compared directly to Smartwatches - Because - Apple has targeted its watch price to be below the Swiss watch market. This is called market "price placement". Apple watches that attempted to compete in the Swiss watch price range failed.

And, NO ONE will be wearing a 21 year old Apple watch.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

I didn't mean literally a team where one person leads a group of ten thousand. I meant if you're Tim Cook, you're responsible for the work of tens of thousands of engineers.

I worked at Apple. Was in a team of 10 engineers.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

Maybe Timmy can't hide a guilty conscience, which is what most people should have when they're selling a lie.
[doublepost=1568238630][/doublepost]

Great perspective from real experience - thanks for your input. I agree it's more work to manage multiple (+private) distributions on hard media. But any mature source control / build system should mitigate such complexity in the current era.

My criticism also should include the parallel 13.0 + 13.1 situation, which is also a sign of incompetence.

Well, you should show up at the next shareholders meeting and protest, or petition to be the CEO. I'm sure you'd have a lot of smart people wanting to hear from you.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

I've worked as an engineer on large teams (in the thousands), so I know the telltale signs that indicate when "things" are "working", "not working", "messed up", and "really (*$!!-ing) messed up". Apple is definitely NOT performing in the "working" category.

Also, it not just about who is "running" the team. Working effectively as an engineer on a large team requires skills that are becoming rare in today's tech industry.
[doublepost=1568240767][/doublepost]
see above
[doublepost=1568241241][/doublepost]

Given Apple's extreme secretive policies aimed at PREVENTING the disclosure new products, this leak is a screw up.
How can a trillion dollar company so intent on secrecy screw that up?

Reactions: developer13245

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Apple did indeed move the smartphone forward by great leaps. But as smartphone tech started to commoditize, other suppliers built good enough, as-good, and even better phones - so Apple's market share has been decreasing as good lower priced phones took market share. But it took a while - MUCH longer than the current smartwatch trend showing basically the same trend. Also, Apple's perceived success in the the smartwatch may be a phenomenon of iPhone owners having a greater desire to consider a smartwatch compared to owners of other smartphone brands.

Comparing smartwatch data to limited non-smartwatch data is not valid. Claiming Apple watch outsold the entire Swiss watch industry is irrelevant. And then concluding it's the #1 selling watch is is pure fantasy.

I own a 21 year old Swiss watch, and wear it as my "daily driver". The same watch can be bought on the used market for $2000 (over twice what I paid for it new). The current model of my watch sells (new) for $4500 - $5500. The new version has some minor updates, but from across the table most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The market for Swiss watches cannot be compared directly to Smartwatches - Because - Apple has targeted its watch price to be below the Swiss watch market. This is called market "price placement". Apple watches that attempted to compete in the Swiss watch price range failed.

And, NO ONE will be wearing a 21 year old Apple watch.
Sure, I can see the point you're making about the Swiss watches not being a perfect comparable. I noticed you choose to ignore this part though...

Smart watches are not showing the same trend. Apple wasn't the first or cheapest smart phone, but they certainly were the best. Apple Watch was not the first nor even close to the cheapest watch, but they are dominating the market as indicated in your own source. No one else is even close.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
A trillion company has how many people working under them? You mean to tell me that not a single one of them will screw up ever?
Yeah, but this isn’t the first time. The iOS betas prior to the iPhone X gave away....the iPhone X. I think there were releases hinted in last year’s iOS 12 betas also.

I suppose my point wasn’t that it can’t happen, but that how can it happen this many times? In a row, even.

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
It's more than seven years since Google Glass was annonounced.

I hope Apple has used the time and their money to build AR glasses that are a decade ahead of the competition. Imagine if Apple in 2007 had released a smart phone with capabilities like iPhone X, i.e Siri, Appstore, dual cameras, display out to the edges, water resistant and wireless charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.