Xcode 3.x on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by fernandovalente, Jul 20, 2011.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Hey,

I hate Xcode 4, is there anyway to install Xcode 3.x on Lion or I will have to have a partition with Snow Leopard?

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Xcode 3 only has the 10.6 SDK and backwards I think.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Since you will lose out on some very, very important new features, I suggest you try to keep your emotions in check, and spend a few hours learning XCode 4.

4. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I used it at the company I used to work for. I hate Xcode 4, really.

5. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Then you're probably not going to like Lion either. So stick with Snow Leopard and XCode 3, until you're forced to change.

6. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I believe I probably won't like Lion, but I might be forced to change soon :(

7. rossipoo macrumors regular

I don't see why it wouldn't work to use 3.x on Lion. Though, whatever is compelling you to switch to Lion probably will also necessitate a switch to Xcode 4 since you won't be able to use any new OSX and iOS frameworks. As far as developing goes, there would be no benefit to only upgrade Lion, and not Xcode.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Simple rules for XCode 4:

0. Buy a large monitor. Well, bigger than a MacBook.
    1. Always zoom the XCode window to full size.
    2. Go easy on the doubleclicks.
    3. Use git or whatever the other SCC is called. Don't use Perforce :mad:
    4. Memorize which buttons to click on and the keyboard shortcuts.
    5. Keep lines to 100 chars so you can see two files side by side + Navigator

There is lots of good stuff in XCode 4. Takes getting used to, but worth it.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

10. MacPaddie macrumors newbie

three months later ...

... and Xcode 4.2 STILL can't build my Xcode 3.2.6 projects without MAJOR configuration fiddling, none of it documented by Apple. And after a couple of hours of Google'ing these obscure little tricks (like not using the new compiler just so the object files will link), while it might build, the simulator simply issues an "error 1" when I attempt to run it at which point I have no recourse other than to switch back to Xcode 3 if I want to pay the bills. I'm sure that Xcode 4.X is a wonderful thing for those people that it works for, but I'm also sure that there's a LOT of people for whom it doesn't work. Simply telling these people to shut up and get with the program is typical Apple-flavored arrogance. Instead, we should be telling Apple to make the thing work just as well as they say it does. When the thing will load my existing project and run it, then I'll be able to recommend to others that they switch over to it. Apple's policy of forcing people to switch to a new and buggy development system if they want to develop for Lion is just plain wrong, but typical ...

11. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

The only arrogance I'm detecting is your not bothering to read (and understand) the Xcode 4.x release notes and documentation that comes with each revision of Xcode.

12. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I run 3.2.6 on Lion(since i have to do builds for 10.5, thats the only way you can do it), but I had it installed before upgrading to Lion, so I haven't installed it on Lion.