Xcode for iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by OldSchoolMacGuy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Apple needs to release Xcode for iPad. Then we can really take our work with us anywhere and program on the go. Simple compile your app and have it right there running on your device for testing, etc. :apple:

2. chown33 macrumors 604

You can do this today:
    1. Rent a Mac in the cloud. (google it)
    2. Put Xcode on it.
    3. Connect with your iPad.

Let us know how well it works.

Personally, I think the predominantly keyboard orientation of most non-trivial programming in Xcode will be a death knell, but it would be nice to be proven wrong. I'm not saying that all programming is predominantly keyboard oriented. Just saying that Xcode in its current form(s), with its current language complements, is. There are clearly other languages and other tools that have other orientations (e.g. Wiring), and those may be more suitable for a predominantly touch-oriented interaction model.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Official word from Apple on this (as of Jan 28, 2010):

https://devforums.apple.com/thread/37360?tstart=15 (registration required)

4. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That's different then saying they need to do it.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Guess that's just one of those things people say. Lots say something needs to happen without the intention of it ever actually happening. I know there has been interest in it internally.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Really? Cool. How did you find this out?

8. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

From some I know at Apple. Just because people working there are interested in the idea doesn't mean they'll be able to convince anyone to make it happen though.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, I suspect the amount of effort probably outweighs the benefits. Plus, it would mess up their business model some (wanna write iOS apps? get a Mac)

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Personally I don't think Xcode on the device sounds good at all. It would be virtually impossible to debug the app for one thing, among many other issues.

What does sound good is having a version of interface builder that runs on the device, so that you can design at least the basic UI right in place. Or if Apple has some entirely different (read: simpler, with little or no code) way of making basic apps, that would be interesting as well.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Very true. Much more profitable to sell someone a Mac than an iPad. Compiling power even from the new iPad isn't all that great either even for iOS apps.

12. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

The ability to access, modify, and test XIBs and/or story board would be great.

13. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

I don't really see a complete Xcode being developed for iPad; but a code editor for iDevices would be great. There already are some Objective-C editors in the App Store, but wouldn't it be great to have one that syncs with other devices using Documents In The Cloud? Type up your ideas on the go as soon as you have them. Then, when you get back to your Mac (BTYM), compile and run! I would probably make use of that if Apple implemented it.

Regarding Xcode on an iPad here are some of the questions that would have to be answered:

Could you only develop iPad apps?
    How would you build the app to your iPhone or iPod touch?
    Would it require an iOS Developer paid membership?
    Where would the line be drawn when considering what is available to paid members and members with a free account?
    Would you need to install provisioning profiles to build your app onto your iPad even it's the device you're developing on?
    Would they forego provisioning profiles for apps developed on iPad but still keep them for apps developed on your Mac?
    Would Xcode for iPad sync with Xcode on your Mac?
    If you are actively developing an app and your project is synced between your Mac and iPad, and you could build the app from either machine, how does that situation get resolved in terms of provisioning profiles.

...and other questions of that nature.:cool:

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Um, isn't this where laptops come in handy? ;)

15. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Think the instant on of the iPad or iPhone is much nicer for keeping track of ideas. No wait for the laptop to come out of sleep (although that time has really been cut down over the years).

16. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

Absolutely they do and that's what I like about my MacBook Pro. But as portable as it is, one can be much more discrete with an iPhone.;)

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I guess I'm not so impatient I can't wait a couple of seconds.

I don't even want to imagine trying to do any coding on an iPhone.

18. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

I don't know about OldSchoolMacGuy, but for me a couple of seconds is all it takes for an idea to leave.:eek:

It's definitely not optimal, but for capturing ideas, it works.:cool:

19. chown33 macrumors 604

For capturing ideas: voice memo to self.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

All it would take is a flowchart-type paradigm that would convert easily to C (or Python, Ruby, whatever). Instead of auto-complete, you would have palettes of your terms and operators, and the UI would give you framed, filled ovals under under the text for expression scoping: you would not have to type parens or brackets, and you could see right away how and expression would descend. The trapezoid would replace braces, and each would have a descriptive label to help you with navigating your code – like XCode's code folding, only kind of mandatory. Some typing would be necessary, but much less than writing raw .c files. It would certainly take a bit of getting used to, but if smart designers at Apple work on it, it could be good.

21. chown33 macrumors 604

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But what do you know of that might be actually useful? Something that a serious coder could actually use?

23. chown33 macrumors 604

The first one I thought of was Prograph, but only because I remember it from early Mac days. I still had to look it up.

There's also LabVIEW, also from early Mac days, but it's for a more specialized domain.

Here's a couple of lists. You'll have to decide for yourself the extent they're "useful" or "serious".
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Visual/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_programming_language

24. firewood macrumors 604

You can try this out now if you have a Mac.
    Just enable sharing on a Mac with Xcode installed and connect to it from an iPad using a VNC, remote desktop, or other screen sharing app.
    Using VNC on your iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard helps, but that combination can actually end up as heavy or heavier than a MacBook Air 11.

If you don't have a Mac, there are places you can rent a Mac in the cloud with Xcode pre-installed. Since a Mac is more powerful, connecting to a remote one may be faster for development than if something like Xcode actually ran natively on an iPad.

25. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I just use Notes app on my iPhone and then I know it'll sync automatically with iCloud and it'll be there at home waiting for me, without having to sync. The Mountain Lion Notes application has become quite useful for me.