Xerox Solid Ink Printers...Any opinions??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, May 16, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, so I've given up trying to get my Dell 3100CN printer to align pages properly so have decided to buy a new printer.

I particularly need one with a reliable duplex unit (either included or as an optional extra) as I want the printer to print things such as CD booklets and Case inserts, and I often print flyers for my church.

I have been looking at Epson Colour Lasers but just wondered if anyone had any recommendations and/or experience of good colour lasers?

Thanks

2. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Just bought the Xerox 6110N from dabs. Worked instantly as network printer with my belkin router. Prints are crisp, great speed, and great price.:)

Not sure about the duplex feature though. It seems to me some features are windows only

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah I was looking at Xerox printers. Not had any experience with them though. I have requested some print samples of the lasers and the wax printers so will hopefully be able to make a decision. They do a duplex model of the 6180n for around £400

4. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Xerox

I bought the Xerox 6180n (no duplex) last year for 175 pounds. It has been a great printer and I use it on the network all the time.

I can recommend it.

5. atad6 macrumors regular

I just bought a Brother 4070cdw and am very happy with it. It prints 21ppm color/bw and has two sided printing. I also liked the fact that it has built in wireless networking meaning I can put it anywhere in my office and not have to worry about having a built in network cable or computer nearby.

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

The Xerox solid ink color printers are unbelievable IMO. Pricey but worth it if you do a lot of printing.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do you say how much you are willing to spend? You won't get great printing results for cheap. I would say that Postscript is a necessity unless you think funky dithering looks good.

8. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I've been using Xerox "Phasers" for the past several years. I think most (not all) of the Phaser models use wax (not ink/toner). It gives you a glossier look. I think it's good for small-office produced brochures and other things you want to look quality.

I currently use the Phaser 8560. I bought it (new) on eBay. And, I buy the genuine "ink" on eBay too. You can get the (D) duplexing model. We really like these.

http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-8560/enus.html

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not all of the Xerox Phaser models are solid ink. The solid ink models really aren't very suitable for lower volume, due to the warm-up time required before they are able to print.

10. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks again for the comments. I have been looking at the solid ink printers and at the moment Xerox have an offer on where they'll give a full set of inks free with the 8560 series printers.

I have requested a sample from xerox to compare the wax printers with their lasers. If I go ahead with the solid ink, I will probably keep my dell for larger print runs (as it'll work out cheaper).

Sounds like the larger consensus is to go for Xerox (whether it be wax or laser) which has really suprised me.

p.s. My budget it between £400 and £700

Thanks again

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My understanding is that the solid-ink printers are actually less expensive on a per-page basis, so they'd probably actually be more cost effective on larger runs. Also, Xerox has evidently solved the biggest problem with solid ink, which was that it could scratch off of the paper. Their only issue is warm-up time, and some people object to the melting crayon smell they generate. I can also recommend Xerox -- especially for the real Postscript they use in most (all?) of their printers, which I regard as essential. It looks like one of their better printers might be within your budget.

12. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Which printer would you recommend?

Are the quality of the solid ink printers generally better than the quality of laser printers?

The reason I made the comment about keeping my Dell, is because I have 3 full sets of spare toners so would possibly use the Dell for larger runs until the toners run out :)

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't tried them all, so I'm probably not qualified to compare beyond the shopping I did late last year. I ended up with a Xerox 6180 MFP, mainly on the strength of real Postscript and a price tag under US$1,000. Nothing else really came close in the end. I was initially leaning towards the Brother printers. They are less expensive, but I thought looked really flimsy, and use emulated Postscript, which I don't really trust.

I know what you mean about hanging onto old printers. I can't seem to part with our ancient but still amazingly reliable HP LaserJet 5MP, which I still use for small runs. It'll give up the ghost one of these days, but it will remain in use until such time.

14. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, I've decided on a Xerox printer due to the overwhelming recommendations received. However, would I be better buying a solid ink or a laser printer? Has anyone had any experience with the solid ink ones?

15. pMad macrumors regular

Hp

The HP laser (B&W) at the office is over 10 years old and still runs great.

I recently bought a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn for home. The colors are good and it does duplexing. I have it networked to my router so that all of my computers can print wirelessly. I'm happy with it.

I was lucky and got it three months ago on quite the steal at $250.00 (OfficeMax)

16. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Anyone got any experience with Xerox Solid Ink Printers???

17. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

We have a Phaser 8200DP (small publishing firm) and it's been very, very reliable. We don't use it for high-quality printing (mainly a proof printer), but we've had it for 5 years and it's probably printed 15,000+ pages.

The ink (wax) sticks are very very expensive.

18. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. What's the performance of the duplex like? Does it align both sides properly? Xerox have an offer at the moment where you get a free set of ink with the model I'm looking at.

19. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Just a note to say thanks to all the replied to this thread. I went ahead yesterday and ordered a Xerox Phaser 8560DT (with duplex and extra tray) as it was an absolute steal from PCWorld Business for £440 (reduced from £869).

In response to the ink being expensive. If going purely by the price of the genuine Xerox inks on their site, the wax inks are actually better value as the laser toners as they have a higher page yield for the same price. However, I have managed to get a few well priced sets off ebay which should keep me going a while :)

20. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I have the Xerox Phaser 8550 DN (wax) and 7850 GX (laser). It depends on what you want to do with your printer. For gorgeous digital photos, use a high-resolution inkjet printer. At 2400 dpi, the Phaser 8550 does a great job also but requires considerable wax, which does not absorb into the paper. Therefore, on close examination you can see tiny dots. Whereas, at the same resolution, ink absorbs into paper, subtly diffusing the dots so images appear nearly continuous tone. I consider the Phaser to be a workhorse for general purpose color printing requiring minimal non-expiring consumables (paper, wax and maintenance unit). The Xerox Phaser 7750 color laser printer prints continuous tone but has no less than 14 consumables and an annual service contract that exceeds the price of the 8550.

Like you, I ordered the print samples from Xerox. Of course I was blown away with the quality. However, the full-page sample photos are not cost-effective for a wax printer. Wax duration/page-count of 1000 pages each is based on little image coverage (5 to 15 percent). OEM wax is pricey but necessary for the most vibrant results. Also keep in mind the samples are highly optimized - designed to sell and difficult for consumers to repeat. At the risk of inaccurate color matching, I use third-party Media Sciences wax; yellow shows the most deviation from OEM. This Phaser is primarily used for printing Word documents, Google maps, invoices, etc. Duplex is great and speed is respectable. Genuine PostScript Level 3 interpreter is a definite plus in a graphics environment but I use the 7750 for that.

Phaser maintenance units come in two varieties: 10K pages ($99) and 30K pages ($150). These page-counts are fixed regardless of whether pages have zero to 100 percent coverage. The High Capacity Kit is a no brainer but unit initially comes with standard capacity. I learned this hard way when imprinting a return address on 5000 pieces - not much ink but chewed through remainder of my Maintenance Kit pretty fast.

I purchased the 3-year extended contract which paid for itself after two years when the power supply had to be replaced. A few times a day, the wax Phaser makes a loud noise as it warms wax and rotates mechanics to keep things from sticking. It is not recommended that you unplug this printer, which is OK since very little power is used in Energy Save mode.

I like my Xerox printers but use them for business so they have paid for themselves. Best advice is to consider what you will be printing. Do you plan to print many photos or mostly text? Will you be printing EPS files or LZW TIFF files?

Though mostly discussing inkjet printers, you may find value in my article: "How Much is that Printer in the Window?

21. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

To be honest, I won't use the printer for massive jobs. It will be used for printing flyers (usually about 300 at a time (4 per A4 page) but back to back). And CD booklets for CD's my church records.

I didn't actually receive the print samples but I couldn't resist the half price printer :). However, with regard to page yields, Xerox's yields are based on a 20% coverage which make them quite impressive in comparison to my Dell which are based on a 5% coverage.

After considering selling my Dell colour laser printer, I've actually decided to keep that as well for standard printing of word documents, and university work, whereas the Xerox will be used for more selected printing (as mentioned above).

Do you think it will be ok for printing flyers, etc?

Thanks

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Speaking of page yields, one thing I don't know for certain about my Xerox printer is whether it "runs out" of toner at a specified number of images, irrespective of whether any toner remains in the cartridges. I know HP pulls this stunt, which is one reason why I avoided buying another HP printer.

23. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, I noticed that with the HP printers at work. After so long, they display x amount of pages remaining. Would never trust it though.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you can trust HP to cause the cartridges to quit supplying toner at the specified interval. ;)

25. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, sorry I meant I'd never trust the brand for my choice of printers :)