Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Anyone here have xfinity mobile? It looks like a really good deal, cheaper than even T-Mobile.
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/plan

How's the coverage? Do they have visual voicemail? What about international coverage? Can you make international calls? What about calls/data when traveling internationally?

Any info/feedback/reviews appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: Wide opeN

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
I've used it and my wife is still a customer. Its an MNVO that uses Verizon. It does have visual voicemail. It does international coverage and rates are listed on the website. Like most MNVO they don't get the benefit of Verizon domestic roaming coverage. It's Comcast so customer service is hit or miss and you are subject to reduced speeds and deprioritized after 20GB. Video is capped at 480p, hotspots capped at 600kbps, and charged $10 more if you don't subscribe to another qualifying Comcast service like TV, internet, and voice.

You also get taxes, fees, and surcharges as well on the bill, not all included like T-Mobile.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
We are Xfinity TV and internet subscribers and got Xfinity Mobile earlier this year. We pay data per gig so that old "do what you want" data-wise feeling is gone. However, we've saved $550 in 9 months compared to what we were paying StraightTalk. It would be more savings but changing service pinpointed my billing to Baltimore which charges a $4/month fee on each cellphone.

Also, the SIM works internationally for travel. Although those rates are a bit higher than what you might get with a local SIM, the convenience is worth it. We use Google Voice to call internationally from the US.

We bought new iPhones from them when we signed up and saved $200 on each (via VISA gift card rebate).

I have no complaints about the coverage as compared to the StraightTalk on AT&T we had before.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I've had Xfinity Mobile for about 10 months and have saved about $700 over AT&T. We hardly use any data so the 'By the Gig' plan has worked great with our combined bill going from $90.00 to about $14.00 each month. The coverage has also been better than AT&T in Northern California for us.

For international use, it has worked well since we use a local SIM in a Mi-Fi device for data and still have our regular number for calls and texts. I'm hoping Xfinity will support eSIM's soon so I can use a local SIM along with the regular numbers in each iPhone during our next trip.

Reactions: ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I have a line for just calls and texting I turn data off I only pay $2.50 a month.

How do you avoid using data accidentally? For example, even with WiFi at home, it's possible for WiFi to go down and the phone would then try to switch to LTE.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks for all the responses.

A couple more questions --

Does xfinity mobile support WiFi calling?

Also, if using WhatsApp to make calls to international numbers, will they occasionally charge for international calls like AT&T? With AT&T, I received a huge bill when I started using WhatsApp to make calls to India. I was told that when WiFi goes down, they automatically switch the call to a regular phone call and hence those charges. The only way to avoid such charges is to pay for an Asia calling plan that costs an additional $15 a month and includes unlimited calls to numbers in Asia.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Thanks for all the responses.

A couple more questions --

Does xfinity mobile support WiFi calling?

Also, if using WhatsApp to make calls to international numbers, will they occasionally charge for international calls like AT&T? With AT&T, I received a huge bill when I started using WhatsApp to make calls to India. I was told that when WiFi goes down, they automatically switch the call to a regular phone call and hence those charges. The only way to avoid such charges is to pay for an Asia calling plan that costs an additional $15 a month and includes unlimited calls to numbers in Asia.

Yes they have WiFi calling.

If your WiFi goes down often you should get new provider or router. Or you can try using Facebook messenger for calls.
If the person your calling has a iPhone you could just FaceTime.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Yes, Xfinity Mobile supports WiFi calling. If you have cellular data turned off and cellular data turned off for WhatsApp, I don't know how or why the App would be able make a traditional call. I don't use WhatsApp for phone calls so I don't know the true iner workings of the App.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Yes, Xfinity Mobile supports WiFi calling. If you have cellular data turned off and cellular data turned off for WhatsApp, I don't know how or why the App would be able make a traditional call. I don't use WhatsApp for phone calls so I don't know the true iner workings of the App.

I don't have cellular data turned off (not even in the app). Technically, if the app uses cellular data, then there shouldn't be a phone charge. But I think AT&T chooses to recognize that a call is being made by WhatsApp and when the data connection over which the call was established changes, it looks like they convert it to a regular phone call. I don't know if that's what it is for sure, but that is how it was explained to me by the AT&T reps. I got hit by $150+ international calling charges two months in a row. They converted the charges to a $15 Asia calling plan when I called AT&T billing, and now I've given up and just added the Asia plan to my monthly service. As a result, my monthly bill is now ~$80/month with 3GB of data (it's an old plan, but I'm not a heavy data user). xfinity mobile looks attractive at $45/mo especially since it includes unlimited data and free texting to int'l numbers, assuming I don't get hit by international charges using WhatsApp.
[doublepost=1546188285][/doublepost]
Yes they have WiFi calling.

If your WiFi goes down often you should get new provider or router. Or you can try using Facebook messenger for calls.
If the person your calling has a iPhone you could just FaceTime.

It doesn't go down often, but if I'm on a whatsapp call and I leave the house to go to the mailbox, then phone will lose its WiFi connection.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Can you tell us how you get this option?

Their website seems to indicate only 2 options, pay-per-GB and unlimited...
You get the first 100MB free with the Pay per Gig plan and if you shut off data, you get all domestic phone calls and texts for free. All you would end up paying for are the local taxes for each line.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
You get the first 100MB free with the Pay per Gig plan and if you shut off data, you get all domestic phone calls and texts for free. All you would end up paying for are the local taxes for each line.
So this is the $12/mo for 4 lines, not a separate $2.50 single line, correct?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
So this is the $12/mo for 4 lines, not a separate $2.50 single line, correct?
Yes, By the Gig plan: "Each month, pay for the 4G LTE data you use at one low price of $12/GB. There are no limits, just the flexibility you need. The best part? It’s shared data, so you can have multiple lines connected on one account."

Be aware though if you don't have another Xfinity account there will be an additional $10 per month charge: "$10 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: Xfinity TV, Internet or Voice service. Pricing subject to change. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed."

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't have cellular data turned off (not even in the app). Technically, if the app uses cellular data, then there shouldn't be a phone charge. But I think AT&T chooses to recognize that a call is being made by WhatsApp and when the data connection over which the call was established changes, it looks like they convert it to a regular phone call. I don't know if that's what it is for sure, but that is how it was explained to me by the AT&T reps. I got hit by $150+ international calling charges two months in a row. They converted the charges to a $15 Asia calling plan when I called AT&T billing, and now I've given up and just added the Asia plan to my monthly service. As a result, my monthly bill is now ~$80/month with 3GB of data (it's an old plan, but I'm not a heavy data user). xfinity mobile looks attractive at $45/mo especially since it includes unlimited data and free texting to int'l numbers, assuming I don't get hit by international charges using WhatsApp.
[doublepost=1546188285][/doublepost]

It doesn't go down often, but if I'm on a whatsapp call and I leave the house to go to the mailbox, then phone will lose its WiFi connection.

Look into a free Google Voice number. The Google Voice app uses your cellphone line to call its servers and the international connection is made there...so you're on an actual phone call and not data or wifi. The rate to India is 1 or 1.2 cents per minute. You can find the rates at their website help. Payment is via credit card...for me it's a $10 recharge when I get below $2, I'm pretty sure.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have used it and still have a couple of lines on it. My main # is on Verizon and I find that Xfinity Mobile is not Verizon. I do notice deprioritization and differences in signal strength.

It’s great if you’re not a heavy user though.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I have used it and still have a couple of lines on it. My main # is on Verizon and I find that Xfinity Mobile is not Verizon. I do notice deprioritization and differences in signal strength.

It’s great if you’re not a heavy user though.

Xfinity is a mnvo of Verizon you will not get roaming and only use Verizon native network witch is pretty still good coverage.

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
^ Thanks. Why did you stop using it?

Well I now have the sprint BYOD free for a year and it's a good value thus far. I'm using an iPhone XS and the sim has T-mobile and the physical sim is Sprint service and that covers me pretty well for all I need to do. I also and an android phone with Google Fi as well. I'll still be with Xfinity Mobile if it wasn't for the Sprint free for a year deal.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I just added the pay by the gig as my secondary line on my iPhone Xs.

I have data being used solely by T-Mobile, along with data switching turned off.

For single lines, xfinity is one of the best options going. I was told my taxes will only be like $2 and change.

So far so good, but here in Atlanta T-Mobile seems to have better coverage that Verizon. At least by appearances of bars.

Reactions: ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I just added the pay by the gig as my secondary line on my iPhone Xs.
For single lines, xfinity is one of the best options going. I was told my taxes will only be like $2 and change.

This sounds like an excellent idea for a dual SIM phone.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Did you have to go into an Xfinity store? I’ve tried to add a second line but xfinity online says it can’t add my request with my own device.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Did you have to go into an Xfinity store? I’ve tried to add a second line but xfinity online says it can’t add my request with my own device.

It'll depend on when you catch them. If they're inundated with requests for SIM cards, you'll get a message saying you have to visit a store.

I was able to get them to send me a SIM after a few tries, and I added the Xfinity Mobile physical SIM to my XS Max that is using my main T-Mobile line as the eSIM and Primary.

I notice in my case that since Xfinity are a Verizon MVNO, I will very rarely but definitely see a coverage difference. Recently, my XS Max had three bars of Xfinity Mobile in a location where T-Mobile did not penetrate the building at all.

As a secondary line, especially if you're using eSIM as your main, I think Xfinity Mobile has a place.

But they are a little backwards with some things. For example, there is no support for Apple Watch cellular at all, which only makes sense because their goal is to keep you on Xfinity WiFi as much as possible, and they don't want to risk what they're paying Verizon by having you on Verizon cellular towers while you're hiking or running.

Xfinity Mobile has zero support for eSIM, too.

Another odd thing I've noticed is that the choice to select the carrier in iOS is greyed out and inoperable for the Xfinity Mobile SIM, while it will still work with T-Mobile and AT&T. I don't even know why somebody would want to do that, but you can't do it with Xfinity.

A good plus for Xfinity Mobile is that their iOS application allows you to keep track of your data usage, and the application will have an inescapable warning for you if you should really be on the 45.00/unlimited plan instead of 12.00/gig. You can switch to 45.00/unlimited in the middle of a billing period and get the full advantage of 45.00 v 12.00.

I am defaulted to 12.00/gig and I've set LTE to be for data only. That way if I have to make or receive a call while on cellular, I will not be using data.

Remember, too, that iMessages use data. If you're trying to stay on 12.00/gig, you'll want to use short SMS messages to avoid data.

:)

I'm still learning their system, but I think they're definitely worth it for having a slightly different coverage area that might be of benefit to you here and there.
[doublepost=1546441300][/doublepost]
Xfinity is a mnvo of Verizon you will not get roaming and only use Verizon native network witch is pretty still good coverage.

Just a warning that as a Verizon MVNO, Xfinity Mobile will be de-prioritized in peak periods. This is something I've tested, personally, and during peak periods there is a huge difference in data throughput if I am using my Xfinity Mobile data and comparing a speed test with someone whose primary cellular is Verizon.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
This sounds like an excellent idea for a dual SIM phone.

Yes it is.

12e4bb2eb4c099b404a9f451ef592fe3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.