XGear Folio - pics and impressions

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by 3D Monkey, May 17, 2010.

1. 3D Monkey macrumors newbie

I just got my pre-ordered XGear Folio and I thought I'd share some pics with you guys, since this is where I found out about it.

I have the Apple case, but don't like the rubberiness, the flange, and the covered edges of the iPad. I also have a Griffin skin but it's even rubberier (is that a word?) and collects dust and static. My wife has the Marware Eco-Vue so I'm familiar with that too.

Construction: Good. It's light and seems sturdy, but it's not leather. It seems like it must be vinyl. The interior is a velvet-like material, which I like more than the rubber Apple case. There's a slight plastic smell, but it's not too bad and I'm sure it will go away fairly quickly. The back panel is stiffer than the front, curved and fits the iPad nicely. It's about the same as the Apple Case sturdiness-wise, maybe a little more sturdy since the back is stiffer.

Feel: Feels good, very grippy in the hands, the texture helps with grip. Feels fairly leathery, but not quite like leather. Not like rubber as the Apple case feels.

Holding the iPad: The corner clips so far seem to hold the iPad in securely. I held it open by the case and shook it around face down over my couch and the iPad stayed in. The strap is very easy to slide in and out of the loop, and also seems to hold closed very well. The texture on the material might help with this.

Use: It works a lot like the Apple case in terms of propping up the screen and typing. Seems about the same in terms of wobbliness, not rock-solid, but good enough. It doesn't slide around the table when typing. It's very easy to open, close, and prop up.

Compared to the Marware Eco-Vue: First of all, the XGear is not leather. If you want leather, you need something else. The Marware definitely feels like a higher quality case, but this one feels higher than the Apple case, so I'd say it's in between the two. But it's lighter than the Eco-Vue, about the same weight as the Apple. And it exposes the full screen so dust and dirt won't get trapped at the edges.

Value: It's not worth the price, since it's about twice the cost of the Marware which is higher quality. But it does have different features that I wanted so I'm happy that I have it. I'd recommend waiting for a sale unless you need it right away.

Duncan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jedolley macrumors 68000

Thanks for the pics. It's nice to actually see some real pics of this one.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nice one! How many inches is the rise? That's the small part of the cover from center bend to the offset bend.

4. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

That might be the ugliest case I've ever seen in my life. To take something as well designed and engineered as the iPad and place it in such a hideous looking case is a disgrace and a shame.

5. 3D Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 2.5". I measured the Apple case just now too and it was 1.75" so it's a little more than that one.

Duncan

6. 3D Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

You don't like it, don't buy it. I'm happy to have saved you the expense.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is a huge deal to me. Often have I lifted the Apple case ever so slightly and wondered, even if I had just 1/2". Looking forward to the case wars panning out resulting in an improvement over the Apple case. Apple's case wins in terms of covering the iPad the most in this case.

8. 3D Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I had the same issue with the Apple case, the angle is better than flat, but it's not quite there.

I'm sure there will be many more cases to choose from by the end of the year. If you can wait, the prices will come down also as the competition heats up.

I couldn't wait :) and I'm happy to be the guinea pig. But I do like the case, I won't need another one unless this one falls apart.

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I like it. I wonder if it will work with an SGP CF skin.

10. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Not really keen on the skin. Looks a little pedestrian for me.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I think the design is great, but carbon fiber is soooo played out.

12. iPadztr macrumors 6502

Is there any room if you are using belkin vue? Looking for sleeves that would fit for belklin vue...

13. TheLee macrumors member

can anyone make a comparison between this and the macally bookstand? they look *really* similar and it'd be nice t have a head-to-head comparison

14. 3D Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah carbon fiber is pretty stale, especially fake CF like this. But it does help the grip, though I'd prefer it were leather which would be just as grippy.

15. 3D Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't tell you for sure, but this is a pretty tight fit with the iPad, so I doubt it.

16. Gameaholic macrumors member

This looks almost exactly like the Macally bookstand

17. vynn macrumors member

I actually cancelled my order after seeing these close up pictures.

18. Skystar macrumors 6502

I think it's an imitation of the bookstand, and costs more. Thought I would like the carbon fiber but now have second thoughts. Thanks for posting OP.

19. 3D Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm glad to be of service :)

Actually the more I use it the more I think it's a really nice case and I'm glad I got it. Looking back on my pics, they look way shinier and plasticy than it looks in real life. When I see the iPad folded up in the case I like the way it looks, a lot. My wife's Marware is way nicer, very luxurious. But I can't deal with the bulk of it, or the covered edges. I love the fact that the whole face of the iPad is exposed with this case.

The main drawback for me at this point is how flimsy the main fold is. It's very floppy. It works great when propped up in display mode, but when you just fold the cover back behind, it slips around too much. You have to tuck the tab in the loop to hold it still. I imagine the bookstand is the same though.

But you're right, it's way overpriced. But I like it anyway :)

20. ben12345 macrumors newbie

The Macally is around $42. on Amazon and they just got them in stock. The Folio is $69. on Amazon and is not in stock. I believe if you order directly from XGear their is a shipping charge added also which makes this a very expensive case. I don't know if it is $30. better than the Macally. I ordered the Macally and was waiting on reviews for this case. Of course, some of the reviews on the Macally case were not very positive.

21. Martayjay macrumors newbie

I Like It!

Originally pre-ordered the Macally Bookstand but once my credit card starting showing fraudulent charges,
    I cancelled both my card and my order. Then, I luckily found out about the X Gear case.
    Ordered it on Wednesday and received it today (Friday).

I Like It! Has all the features I want.
    Does not obscure the beautiful design of the iPad and is sturdy.
    Most importantly, it's well-engineered for typing.
    Sits in the lap nicely with just the right incline.
    And judging from other reports in this forum about the Macally, it is a higher (and better) incline.

Frankly, I can't believe that people buy cases that do not offer this feature.
    Typing on the iPad when it is lying flat is a pain.
    Not anymore, though!

Yes, it was expensive. Cost me $88 with shipping.

But it does the job and now I don't have to worry about being able to take it outside the home.
    Good protection and worth the price because there's nothing else out there with this quality and these features.
    Now I can stop searching for the "right" case and get on with life.

I recommend it highly.

22. ben12345 macrumors newbie

I have been trying to decide between this case, the DODO case and the Macally Bookstand case. I have considered ordering all 3 and returning the one's I did not prefer.

I did just receive the Macally case and I have the DODO on order. I am a little concerned with the higher price for the X unit as it is the most expensive of the three. Guess I will wait for a few more reviews.

23. SteveWTW macrumors member

I have got to say that I agree - the outer cover looks truly hideous.

24. itzcoolz macrumors regular

for owners of this case: does it fit snug even if the ipad has a film on the back? (or do you think it would?)

i ask because from what i've been reading, the macally case that seems to have a similar holding mechanism supposedly is not as snug if there is a film on the back of the case.

25. 3D Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it would. I don't have a film and it fits perfectly right now, the film might interfere with fit, as with the Macally case. With no film, there's no movement, no falling out. Not sure why you would want a film back if you had a case like this, the point is to have something you can leave on all the time that doesn't take up much space, and doesn't obscure any of the iPad face.