Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I don't know how durable this phone will be, but right now I am quite pleased with it. The one thing in which the apple is undoubtedly superior is the camera. But for me it really does not matter. I'm a DSLR guy who carries also a Leica typ 9 in his everyday bag to not miss the shot.
...so for you personally an inferior camera isn't a drawback. However, for many, the camera is one of the--of not the--most important aspect of their smartphone.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Can anyone tell me why they all waited until now to shrink the bezel's down? I'm guessing it doesn't require any special tech and surely it occurred to them this might be a good idea before now.

My LG G2 had an awesome screen to body ratio. Too bad they lost their way until the G6 came out this year.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
Because edge to edge screens provide a superior UX for virtually all use cases. Can you suggest a reason why this won't be a trend from all manufactuers going forward?
I would ask you to provide a detailed and comprehensive report on why this is the case, please.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Potentially silly question:

Where have they put the earpiece / speaker? Intrigued to know... it had always struck me as one of the challenges of making an edge-to-edge display that you can't hide a speaker behind the glass. Or can you? Surely if it's at the top or sides it will leak sound when you're on a call to someone?

I am intrigued by the speaker concept. That will be the next big thing. A lot of us would like front facing speakers but we don't want Nexus 6P like chins and foreheads to get them. If they have found a way to get the sound out in another way I bet everyone will copy them.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
A bigger percentage of it is useable. I can't see many disagreeing with this.

100% of any screen is usable; that isn't exclusive to a screen with less bezel area. You can't make use of any part of the screen which isn't part of the screen, ergo it is logical that 100% of a screen is in use and usable.

Logic, see?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Can anyone tell me why they all waited until now to shrink the bezel's down? I'm guessing it doesn't require any special tech and surely it occurred to them this might be a good idea before now.

Good question.

I recently read an old interview asking that question of Sharp, which was the first company with an edgeless screen on a phone a couple of years ago.

They said that the main problem was that a much thinner frame along the edges meant that thicker glass would be needed to keep a large phone rigid, and that would distort the display.

Apparently that problem had to be solved, although they did not say how they had done it. I am guessing that a thinner OLED display allows a stronger hidden frame behind it. And/or they had to wait for stronger thin glass.

Last edited:

snicklesnackle

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2017
Good question.

I recently read an old interview asking that question of Sharp, which was the first company with an edgeless screen on a phone a couple of years ago.

They said that the main problem was that a much thinner frame along the edges meant that thicker glass would be needed to keep a large phone rigid, and that would distort the display.

Apparently that problem had to be solved, although they did not say how they had done it. I am guessing that a thinner OLED display allows a stronger hidden frame behind it. And/or they had to wait for stronger thin glass.

That's interesting, I thought there must be a reason for it and the distortion issue makes sense. Good info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.