Xiaomi's Expansion into Europe Kicks Off With Smartphone Sales Launch in Spain

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi is about to make good on stalled plans to expand into Western Europe, beginning with a sale launch in Spain on Wednesday. Xiaomi will initially offer to Spanish consumers its flagship Mi A1 device (229 euros) and its all-screen Mi Mix 2 smartphone (499 euros), pictured below.

In 2014, Xiaomi was briefly the world's most valuable startup in China, but intense competition from local rivals Huawei, Vivo, and Oppo saw its sales stall within two years.

[​IMG]

Since that time, however, the company has overtaken Apple to become China's fourth largest mobile vendor by sales and has launched in dozens of other countries including Indonesia, Vietnam, Russia, the United Arab Emirates, and Ukraine, as part of a $1 billion overseas expansion drive.

The company also has a strong presence in India, where it currently comes second behind Samsung in smartphone sales. However, after past stumbles in more untested markets like Brazil, Xiaomi is now aiming for a more considered expansion across Europe.

"In order to be focused, we want to make Spain successful first," said Wang Xiang, Xiaomi's global sales VP, speaking to The Verge. "And then we can think of other markets and countries. We want to learn from the customers about the taste of European people."

Xiaomi had sold about 10 percent of its smartphones outside China since the middle of last year. However, the company also plans to sell other products in Spain, including internet-connected scooters, air purifiers, and coffee makers.

Article Link: Xiaomi's Expansion into Europe Kicks Off With Smartphone Sales Launch in Spain

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

3. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Makes it even better.

5. johncarync macrumors regular

johncarync

I know 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. Shouldn't 18:9 be reduced to 2:1? Heck, if they don't care about reducing the fraction, they could up it to 20:10!

6. Shyos macrumors newbie

frontcamera on the bottom of the phone... how inconvenient is that

7. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Ah, the trusty "like" gathering statement has been deployed already, in the first post no less.

Android is in many ways, an amazing and versatile platform. For most of my use cases, a small investment in learning and setup has allowed me to do things far more quickly and efficiently than iOS. It's only the likes of Touchwiz that ruin it for me and that certain apps only appear on iOS that mean I still carry around my 6S.

8. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

FrenchRoasted

I’m thinking a large percentage of viewers on this website are Apple fans and prefer iOS. I know it’s a crazy idea, but give it some thought.

9. Tgrey macrumors regular

Android and iOS both are good, but I only like stock Android, on most Android phones just too much junk and branding built in, and support stopped after one year.

10. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

"Shiaomee"

Roughly.

11. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Continuing in that long standing Chinese tradition of perfecting the knockoff...

12. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

This is knockoff of what, exactly?

13. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Generic android is great! MIUI based Android Xiaomi use is great! Touchwiz and all the other tacky variations suck!

14. pika2000 macrumors 68040

At least Xiaomi is trying. They managed to outdo the rest of Android OEMs with the bezel-less Mi Mix, and they actually started to design their own SoC (called Surge). And they are not charging you an arm and a leg for a "knock off." Even better, Xiaomi supports their handsets, even the cheap low end ones, much better than other Android OEMs. Even their cheap Redmi lines gets updated with security patches.

Compare to Oppo/Vivo, who literally rip off iPhone design and color on almost every iteration of their phones, and then charge a premium on top of it.

15. macTW Suspended

Well that photo/phone/background look familiar... :p

16. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Mi mix 2 is gorgeous. First non iPhone I’d consider

17. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I've used Android before, it was good, versatile, it had personality, but i found myself spending too much time tweaking and configuring, and a little frustrated with the clunkiness. I bet Android 7 would be much better than the 4.4 I used to have!

The thing for me is integration, I have an AW, mbp, and of course and iPhone. And then iMessage... it just has me locked in.

18. melendezest Suspended

Android has come FAR from 4.4. And once I spend the time to tweak and configure, I'm good.

I also don't get the Touchwiz hate...stock Android is better for sure, but the Note Series are my favorite phones (and still include a HP jack, waterproofing, and MicroSD expansion).

But you nailed it...the iOS/Mac integration is Apple's "killer app", especially if you're already invested. Thank God I left iOS before now...:p
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Beautiful device, but no headphone jack is a deal-breaker for me.

Looks like the trend won't die though (frak you, Apple), so charging, Waze-ing, and no-dropout listening in the car will be out permanently.

Thank you Samsung for not following Apple in this, though (just did a 28hr road-trip drive with ZERO music drop-outs and 100% charge, and no cop stops).

19. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502

Internet Enzyme

18:9 is a more easily understood ratio for those who are familiar with 16:9. Most people have never heard of 1.77:1

20. forerunnerg34 macrumors regular

forerunnerg34

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Familiar how?

22. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

Granted the Mi A1 is an obvious knockoff of the iPhone, the Mi Mix 2 looks like an original design.

23. cube Suspended

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Duh. The iPhone that's going to be released in 2021. How dare these copycats make a knockoff of a yet to be announced iPhone.

25. TheRealTVGuy macrumors 6502a

TheRealTVGuy

Anyone here have any hardware engineering experience? How do they pass audio through the earpiece speaker when they have a full display like that?