XM or Sat radio on Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by westernmass, May 7, 2008.

1. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Wouldn’t it be great if the new version had a satellite radio feature?

2. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

not really. Isn't Internet radio more appropriate on a 3G phone?

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I agree. Unless you're streaming it from their websites which, at this point, the phone doesn't support it anyhow, you'd need a clear sky view all the time to get the satellite signal. That's not very practical.

4. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i have always thought about that.... i would love to listen to my sirius radio on the go and not have to buy one of there portable recievers.. but the user above m is right because u would need 3G, and the iphone has to be able to support it.. Apple please do something like htis in the 3G phone so we could do this.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Personally, I don't think that Apple would ever consider adding functionality like this directly to the iPhone themselves, but they have released the SDK that allows others to write programs for the iPhone/touch.

Other mobile OSs have had 3rd-party applications that let you stream from XM and Sirius' websites. I'd be very surprised if some programmer out there doesn't write a similar program for the iPhone/touch. :)

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No. I'd rather pay $13/month for radio on my phone. :)

7. essential macrumors regular

I made a post like this a few weeks ago. I would love Sirius on the iPhone/iPod, but I think it should come in the form of a small dock attachment which would have the tuner in it, input for an external antenna, and possibly a line-out. Then Apple would just have to include functionality for it in a future firmware update, similar to how they did it with the FM tuner. It would only require the on-screen communitcation with the between the iPhone and the tuner.

Also, I have a Sirius device now, and it's small with a screen and buttons. I think the dock connector could be small if it just had the tuner and you used the iPhone/iPod as the interface between it.

I think it would be great and wouldn't require any of your data plan since you are getting signal from the satt, not though the web.

8. essential macrumors regular

A lot of us already pay $13 a month for satellite radio, the functionality of it on the phone just helps us cut down on carrying around another device.

If there is a 32GB iPhone that has an optional satellite radio dock attachment. That would cut me carrying 3 devices (phone, iPod, Sirius radio) down to one device. That is the advantage to this, not to mention a possible ability to record the stream like you can on upper model Sirius radios, if you have a ton of extra space, that would be cool too.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I agree with what essential is saying. It doesnt nessarily add to the functionality for everyone. But for people who already pay for their satellite radio, it would definitely be an awesome feature. I dont know much about the iphone right now, we just got ONE and are waiting for one more in the mail, but if i could get my satellite/sirius radio from my iphone, either via dock OR website stream i would be happy.. I dont have a portable satellite receiver, so i would actually be saving money even if i paid for the web subscription and got it on my iphone than buying TWO devices and then paying for it..

10. seenett macrumors regular

I have thought this would be a great combo for years, but I just don't see it happening. The main reason being that Apple doesn't need XM (or Sirius) - they are doing just fine in the music business on their own.

That being said, combining the functionality of my XM Inno into an iphone would be an awesome feature. Thanks to it's buffer, the Inno can record entire songs to it's memory even if you press "record" after a song has started playing. And of course you can organize and build playlists with your recorded songs.

Recorded content can't be transfered to a computer, so you have to listen to it on the device. Satellite's compression doesn't have the quality of MP3 or AAC, but hey, it's a free song. Currently you can sync an Inno with Napster (Windows only) and you are given an option to buy (download) the MP3 of your recorded songs - THAT would be a great feature for itunes.

I currently carry three devices in my car - blackberry, ipod, and Inno. By "late June" (fingers crossed) I will be down to two devices. Getting down to one would be the ultimate!

11. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I made a thread similar to this in December. Apple will more likely then not include their own sat. receiver in a future iphone, but first they will focus on more important features such as 3g, better camera, gps, and the like. Personally, I think internet radio is the way to go since it would always be available with no reception issues (unless you're in the middle of nowhere where there is no reception anyways - then satellite has internet radio beat :rolleyes:)

/thread

12. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Your best best right now is to look for the StarPlayr team to develop a native iPhone version of their player (which is very amazing). StarPlayr streams the data from the Sirius site. They're working with GeekToolbox on that project; however, it's not their top priority. I would *not* expect a version this year (at least that's what "goodtime" - the StarPlayr developer - wrote in a thread I started there a few weeks ago).

The only other hope would be that Rogue Amoeba's NiceCast could grab the StarPlayr stream so you could at least "broadcast" from your home Mac. I figure if Airfoil can grab the StarPlayr stream and let me listen anywhere in the house (using an Airport Express), then it shouldn't be such a stretch for NiceCast. You'd have to couple that capability with something like Remote Buddy so you could change the channel being streamed from the Mac at home.

Streaming Sirius through the iPhone would just be awesome.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Along with AIM by AOL when iPhone 2.0 software is released, I'm guessing AOL will also have AOL radio similar to the software on the Mac (will play the same stations including the XM ones)... Makes sense.

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

PEOPLE!

Why the hell would there need to be any sort of dock attachment or satellite radio receiver for this to work?

Anyone with Sirius or XM should know that you can listen to the radio at any computer through the Internet. It'd be easy for the companies to set up a web app for those with service that streams it via Internet.

15. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Exactly they already have it set up for the internet.

16. essential macrumors regular

From my perspective, for 2 reasons:

1) Using the satellite signal is much better than the streaming signal from the Sirius website. Sirius even wants to up-charge you $2.99 more a month for “cd-quality” steaming sound.

2) I know on my computer at work I’m using more resources by streaming the radio from Sirius (we have old computers). I would assume getting a satellite signal would use less resources on the iPhone (almost similar to hardware vs. software video decoding on a computer). Plus, the web feed cuts out accordingly with your web access. The satellite signal is much more steady as long as you are outdoors or near a window.

So in the car or something, I’d much rather be getting the satellite feed than the streaming audio feed.

17. seenett macrumors regular

I would be willing to bet that most people with satellite radio have it in a car or truck (a huge percentage of subscribers are truck drivers). I am on the road all day every day in my sales territory. WiFi, EDGE, and normal radio stations just aren't available in the middle of nowhere. I can drive for hours with no cellular signal at all. XM rarely lets me down, though.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This may be a little smartassian, but isn't that what the iPod function is for? :)

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I know. I, too, use my Sirius radio in my car. I'm talking about for times when you are out of the car, and listening to your iPod. All Sirius and XM subscriptions come with the Internet radio option. You obviously wouldn't use it when you can just use the satellite though.

20. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Here's the GeeksToolBox project link:

http://forums.geekstoolbox.com/showthread.php?t=3323

21. seenett macrumors regular

Can the ipod give me live CNN, live sports, or play a little known song from the 80s that I haven't heard in 25 years? Sat radio has the DEEPEST playlist of any single ipod - songs I may never have stumbled upon or remembered. :D

22. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I agree.. I have narrowed down the amount of devices we have significantly, however i would NEVER give up my Sirius because there arent enough CDs to cram into THREE 32g iPods that would replace what i get form the satellite radio., My hubby is a truck driver, his sirius NEVER cuts out except for bridges and tunnels, which is quite normal.. but anywhere in the country he gets signal.. LOVE satellite

23. wirelessbob macrumors newbie

Very cool:rolleyes:

24. westernmass thread starter macrumors 6502

westernmass

Been out of town a few days so not able to respond. I still think this would be a great feature and others do as well. Maybe it will be one of those things that did not get leaked about the new phone. :eek::cool:

25. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20080612005545&newsLang=en

I can dig this. I'm sure others will come into the streaming radio arena. Even if less end-to-end solutions (like AOL Radio is) just support Wi-Fi (because they don't manage the stream), I'd be perfectly happy.

~ CB

Attached Files:

• -1.jpg
      -1.jpg
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views: