Xoom already EOL'd?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xraydoc, Mar 23, 2011.

1. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Moto is being smart. They are going to release the Xoom 2 with enhanced specs. I expect they will include a better quality screen and probably different storage options.

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    the pains of trying to be FIRST (for android) and making the mistake of releasing your tablet, before you were shown the gold standard (iPad).

Samsung did the same thing, but they just had the advantage of not releasing their tablet yet. So when they said "oh poop, apple is releasing THAT? We gotta trash what we have and do better" it cost them a lot less :p

edit: It's funny to realize just how "copycat" everyone else is. Sometimes I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but when the continuously follow the pattern of attempting to replicate exactly what Apple throws down (with maybe a couple of better specs) it just gets really sad

4. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I think this is an EOL for the Xoom without that LTE Chip that existing users will have to send back in to have installed, the "new models" will probably have the LTE chip pre-installed so the SKU may have to change a #

I could be wrong on that, but I believe the same thing happened with the Droid Incredible when HTC had to switch the displays due to the shortages?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Does it run Flash yet?
    Does the removable storage work yet?
    When is the 4G upgrade?

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yes

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Smart" is not selling customers a bill of goods only to bail on them a few months later. Using the marketplace as a focus group is a pretty crappy way to run a business.

8. OSMac macrumors 65816

"The sources believe the unclear market status of iPad-like tablet PCs is the reason for Motorola to reduce its orders"

Unclear market status ?
    Apple's sold 20 million tablets and 40-50 million projected by next year.

The problem for Motorola is everyone wants a iPad.
    A half baked Xoom disappointed even Android fans.

Does that clear it up :)

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

I'd like to see the reply email...

Did it say they will continue to manufacture it now or past June, what volume?

What will the price point be by June needed to sell it in numbers,
    if the clearly upscale Samsung 8.9 and 10.1 release.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The problem was price. Not many people will spend $800 on an unproven device. Very few apps made specifically for it at launch.

The iPad was unproven, but $500 was the base price so it is less of a risk. Add that to the 4000 iPad optimized apps at launch and it is even less of a "risk". And now iPad is more than a year ahead of everyone in terms of third party software.

At $500 you are in the range of a fairly crappy laptop, at $800 you are in the range of a decent laptop.

And if course now you have a plethora of choices at much better price points. All are pretty much similar hardware (tegra 2) so the biggest differentiator is the case and the price.

Had they released the wifi version simultaneously I think they would have had more takers.

11. joesegh macrumors regular

Tell that to Microsoft.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple's other real advantage is in distribution. The Android makers have relationships primarily with carriers. iPads are not only in Apple stores but Walmart, Target, Best Buy and virtually all major online retailers do phone orders.

13. OSMac macrumors 65816

Same as it appears with
    Samsung's original Galaxy Tab a wifi only version
    at the right price would have sold.

Or at least sell them carrier unlocked.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is all very true. The Xoom does have some attraction however. For one, it runs pure Honeycomb without a customized UI (unlike the new tabs from Samsung which will have touchwiz). That will mean that owners should get new tweaks and updates from Google very quickly, while Honeycomb tablets with touchwiz will have to wait for Sammy to make tweaks--if they every do.

Another edge is that as successful as iOS is--people are starting to get tired of the standard look of the UI. The Xoom is very different and for now at least--very unique in a sea of iPads. One could say that Xoom owners "Think Different". I think we're going to start seeing some Android like features move into iOS in the coming years.

15. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

+1 good post.

The truth and facts are simple, Xoom sucks, knocks off suck and Apple owns the tablet market.

That's because Apple innovated, did NOT rush it to market, did not take use take consumers guinea pig money before the product was ready, they did a hell of a job on the software and the hardware.

What other company has approached the tablet this way. NO ONE. ALL others hide in the shadows waiting to see what Apple does, reverse engineer it, rush manufacture a lower quality product, then use smoke and mirrors into tricking the consumer into thinking better spec's means a better product.

It's a joke and a scam, people buy into it wishing these companies the best and Apple the worst, stating competition is good. WHAT competition? There is none. That would take not one innovator and a 100 copiers like we have now but two innovators .... so far there is one. Don't suggest Google's whore'd out OS or HP's web OS ... over a year later where are they? Still innovating or running around China reverse engineering Apple's work?

16. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Real smart....release an updated product 4 months after your big "iPad killer." I'm sure that will just breed a huge number of Moto brand loyalists.

These companies just don't get it. They are constantly chasing Apple but are always tripping over their own two feet...two steps behind :apple:

17. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Guys, competition in the end is good for us. It pushes Apple to innovate at a faster pace. It took Apple 2 years to give us MMS, that kind of stuff won't happen anymore now that the competitors have their sights on Apple.

It's great that we picked the iPad and all, but we gain nothing with competitors exiting the product segment, there's only downsides.

18. AJerman macrumors member

Yes, yes, and it doesn't really matter much since most people don't have access to 4G anyway still. In other words, I dunno, haha.

I admit, I was torn between the iPad 2 and the Xoom, but the Xoom's screen is crap compared to the iPad's screen, and that's the biggest sell for me since I wanted a multimedia device. Neither really were the perfect device, but then it seems like there never is the perfect device, and if there is it costs twice as much as any other. I'll just enjoy my iPad 2 for now until tablets continue to mature and evolve.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

With all due respect, your posts sounds like regurgitated talking points that have been posted numerous times. It reminds me of the trash talk people say when discussing sports rival sports teams actually. Have you used a Xoom or any Android device for any length of time?

Apple is undoubtedly on top and makes a quality product but Google is also a very, very innovative company that releases extremely useful software. As a matter of fact, the maps on your iPad/iPhone are Google products which Apple has yet to replicate--so don't count them out.

20. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

The waste of time, talent, capital, and materials from unmarketable production says otherwise. That's much too broad a maxim.

21. bossxii, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

bossxii macrumors 68000

Anyone using Android won't be surpised if an Xoom 2 launches in June or July. Just as the phones come out at least once a week/month the tablets will be on a short life cycle as they push to be the leader in the Android space.

After using the Xoom for 2 weeks, knowing it's basically a beta release, it has a ways to go to find the polish iOS has. Then again I can send email attachments and download files from the web and manage them with a file system. I find both OS's have their strengths and weakness'. Even in it's current "state" it gives me more utility than the iPad for work purposes. Email is a big part of my day, dealing with files and attachments on the Xoom is simply better than iOS, even it it's beta form.

If your blinded by your Apple logo and hang on every word SJ says, I know you don't get it and your response will sound like a ifanboy. However those that can view technology for what it is and judge without bias can see the promise Honeycomb brings to the tablet market.

As stated already in this thread, some of the best apps on the iOS platform are Google apps. Google voice, Google maps, Google search, which adds voice control which is fully embedded in Honeycomb and works very, very well.

22. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

Do you feel lacking in your ability to send emails with attachments and manage files with your current equipment to the point that you'd spend $600-$800 to be able to do so in a tablet form factor?

23. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

A well working Android tablet OS will bring benefits to the tablet industry. It will force Apple to stay on their toes to innovate even more. No competition isn't good for any of us.

24. bossxii macrumors 68000

To have a battery that lasts longer than 2 or 3 hours as my company provided laptop does yes. I am many times out of the office on a jobsite or in a meeting and not having to carry a laptop bag with a power supply and deal with plugging in is very nice. The cost of the device is not a focal point, the functionality is. I had a 32gig 3G ipad. With approx 10% tax rates that is a $800 device vs the Xoom was $880, $80 or $100 is far outweighed by usability.

The iPad is a great media consumption device that is polished and easy to use. My wife would shoot me if I ever took it away. I however have needs the iPad cannot meet and the Android platform can. I use the tools that work for the job. The iPad is not all things to all people, no matter what SJ wants everyone to believe. It has limitations.