XP Patititon size help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Happy Luppy, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Happy Luppy macrumors member

Hi!

I am in need of installing XP onto my MBP for the purpose of buying stuffs in the internet (the online store does not support Safari nor FF :(), thus i'm not going to use it often. I read in the Apple Support website that the min. is 5GB for XP to work basic functions.

But the problem is, i need to additionally install Chinese for typing and reading. So the question is, would 5GB still enough?

Thanks! :apple:

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It'd suggest you go with 10-8GB, just to be safe.

3. Happy Luppy thread starter macrumors member

^ Thanks for the answer! :)

Another quick question though : I don't have the BootCamp driver cd with me so, can i still install windows without it?

4. Happy Luppy thread starter macrumors member

5. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

You can manually download drivers from Apple's website. There is a whole help section there too.

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    if you just need XP for visiting this site, you should use VMware Fusion instead of partitioning your hard disk and using Bootcamp. You can get a free 30 day trial from the vmware site.

Btw, what is the site which supports only IE ? You also could use Firefox on your OSX with the User Agent plugin so that the site thinks that you are using IE. But in this case if the site really uses some IE specific feature, they wont be available.

Tex

7. Happy Luppy thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that's great thanks! Will the drivers work completely fine? I'm afraid they will ask me for the driver CD :/

Well it's some sort of a chinese ebay site. I have to download a certain security program just to login to it. Furthermore, i need to use a chinese paypal for payments which needs to download another certain security program, both in .exe extension :rolleyes:

I'm interested in the vmware, would it perfectly suit my needs? :(

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

You will be completely fine :) Once the XP installed in vmware, there is on option "Install VMWare Tools" which will install all the drivers needed in your XP installation.

ok, well .. careful with that :) I hope you know what you are doing. Personally I would not trust a site which asks me to download and exe file !! Usually browsers have everything needed to perform a "secure" transaction. So just double (triple) check that the site is legit.

Tex

9. Happy Luppy thread starter macrumors member

Sweet, thanks for your great help again :)

LOL, i know the .exe file sounds fishy but the bank where i applied for the Paypal account had recommended it in their guide book. And this is China we are talking about :D The system here is completely different in the US, i call it, "The Chinese Way" :D

Another quicky question again though (I hope you won't get sick by it LOL) Does using VMware can slow down your overall system? Because i read somewhere here, some people who uses Parallel Desktop sometimes need to defrag their mac because of the Windows' registry clusters.

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok :)

I had no slow down problems with vmware. There are some services that are being started during the boot of your OSX once you vmware so your boot time might be a very little slower. In case you are bothered by this (I doubt you will even notice) it is possible the disable the vmware services and start them manually only before launching the the vmware software.

Tex

11. Happy Luppy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again! Now i am satisfied and will use VMware :)