XP vs. Vista w/ Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by jasperap, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jasperap macrumors newbie

Can anyone please give me pros/cons and suggestions as to which windows OS I should install on my iMac? I've got the new 20" with the ATI 2600 256mb vid card in it. I'm planning on upgrading the RAM to 4gigs in the near future.

I'm also planning on checking out Warhammer Online.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm currently running Vista on a MBP. However from what I think I know, XP is going to be around for a long while and should give you better performance when PC Gaming on your Mac.

3. CarlosG macrumors member

I have run both XP and Vista on my Mac Pro, and I can honestly say that there is very little difference in terms of performance.

I think that Vista has had some tweaks to make it quicker in SP1.

Anyway, get which ever you fancy. Just ensure that the software will work with the OS that you pick. I have a few things that don't work in Vista properly yet. But XP will be retired sooner.

To be honest, I quite like Vista.:eek: A big improvement on 98!!!

4. chocopiefever macrumors newbie

Maybe it's because I'm tired of XP so I really like how things look on Vista (all the different colors to chose from). vista also gives this little side bar with the clock, calendars, games, etc. But there are a few tweeks (nothing crazy). Using Microsoft word is a bit confusing at first but you get used to it.

for gaming... well it depends on what kind of games? Some of my friends have issues with vista but personally I haven't found much difference in gaming experience (sometimes I do think it goes faster than when I play with my xp comupter. But I have heard that since XP is pretty old so most of the old/not so recent games work best with xp

Overall, not much of a difference to blow you away :confused:

5. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Vista Ultimate worth the extra moneys, or is Basic enough?

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well if you are only going to be using it for games on your mac then I say Basic is enough but Basic is very stripped of features, ideally you'd want Vista Home Premium at the very least but like I said, if it's only for games on bootcamp, basic will do the trick.

7. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I have run both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on my Macbook 2.4GHz 2GB, and there are some pros and cons of XP. Here they are:
    Pros:
    -I have found that gaming is generally better with XP (like Halo and AOE III)
    -Most people know how to use XP, so itll prolly be easier, as Vista takes some getting used to
    Cons:
    -u cant play any game that was made for Vista unless you dont want to play online. I love to play online, so that was the biggest problem for me.

Vista:
    Pros:
    -The appearance is so much better and sleeker than XP
    -U can play games for Vista online
    Cons:
    -Some games (like Halo) require a bit of tweaking to get them to work properly in Vista, which is kind of annoying
    -The framerate for games has been reduced in Vista

I guess it really depends on what type of games you want to play. If they werent made for Vista, I would say go w/XP Pro. Good Luck

8. kahine macrumors regular

I run Vista but only Vista 64 , I don't see any point in Vista 32 over XP -

So if you have 4GB of RAM or better I would go with Vista64 - if not then XP

In your case in particular if is the Imac with the 2600 I'd suggest XP for Warhammer Online gaming , the 2600 isn't terrible by any means but is going to be the weak point for the game an XP is going to be slightly faster than Vista ,

Squeezing any framerate help you can is what you are going to want to do and XP is going to run WAR faster than Vista with that video card -

9. vagarach macrumors member

If you have the choice, go with XP, although because vista graphics drivers are much more mature now, the difference is slight, and not a case of "if you choose vista, this game will not run fast enough to be playable".

Pretty much the only benefit of vista is DX10 (marginally useful), and along with that, XP is much less demanding on hard drive space. I made a 15GB partition for vista, and it ate 10GB *just* installing it and running windows update.

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Vista 64, hands down. Don't let the "Vista is teh suxorz!! XP 4 lyfe" crowd get to you. I used to think Vista sucked too, but I gave it a try after SP1 came out (in February) and was pleasantly surprised. Plus, being able to actually use 4+ GB of RAM is nice :) (none of that 3-3.5 crap).

And when people say XP is "slightly" faster than Vista, the difference is by like 1 fps, if that.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

See, no. I tried Vista when my HL2 games wouldn't play, I had to turn off HDR and Bloom to get the same FPS I would get under XP. I tried Vista SP2 on an indentical spec iMac (same model entirely) and didn't get this gaming performance boost all the Vista were hyping.

I like to use the newest OS's, I always run out to the shops when they release new OSX versions and did so for previous Windows versions. I just don't like what they did to gaming. It's also a bit pants if you use Bootcamp since boot times are longer and you're forced into making your Windows boot drive NTFS.

12. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I'm running Vista 64 on my new iMac and haven't had any problems in gaming - HL2 runs with all settings maxed no problem, etc.

13. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

On what kind of computer did you try Vista with HL2? This may be surprising to you, but old hardware doesn't run new software very well. And running Vista on a virtual machine (i.e., parallels) is fine unless you're doing anything graphic intensive. And based on your last statement, you are not a fan of Boot Camp, which means you don't run Windows native. So does that mean you were running HL2 on Vista on a virtual machine?

And Boot Camp takes longer to boot into Windows? That's BS and you know it. Also, NTFS is the best format to go with, unless you're still living in 1998 using FAT32.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope. No emulation, no VMWare, nothing. Just pure Vista Home Premium. I never said I was using emulation... ?

Nope again, I like Bootcamp, the reason why I upgraded.
    Eh? I never said Bootcamp takes longer to boot. Vista takes longer than XP to boot (if you dual boot the fastest booting OS's are usually the most useful). On paper NTFS is the best to go with, unfortunately OSX doesn't read it. So rather than be stuck with 2 systems that can't talk to each other - I bought MacDrive and stick with Fat32 support for my Windows boot drive (though my external Windows storage drive is NTFS).

Don't try and put words in my mouth :)

Fact is - on the same spec machine with the same O/C tools XP is a better system for gaming. The difference isn't 1fps by any stretch of the imagination. The difference was so great that I had to remove many effects, that previously worked fine and fast under XP (which was native res, everything maxed out).

15. kahine macrumors regular

You never answered his question about what were you running it on - I run Warhammer Online , AoC , TF2 fine in Vista 64 - boot camp and native PC's , on high end machines with lots of RAM Vista will run as well as XP

Also , might want to research before you rattle things off - OS X reads NTFS fine and can copy files from it all day long

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, OSX doesn't copy files to NTFS (odd that you think I'd want to files to NTFS only? What use would that be?). Please will people stop trying to put words into my mouth :) thanks.

And I'm running XP 32bit, 64bit when needed and (used to) run Vista Home Premium 64bit. Though I'm only using 3gb ram so I don't need to use the 64bit version.

17. jeffuwee macrumors member

jeffuwee

hi, im new to macs in general and im planning on getting a macbookpro after the alleged upgrade in september/october. and i was planning to use the mac OS 10.5 to do school work and stuff and bootcamp to play games. the only games that i would be playing however are most likely fast pace fps such as cs:s and cod4 and when sc2 comes out probably that too. i was wondering if vista64 or xp prof. would better serve my purposes. i am no means an extensive gamer. just a little clarification would help. thanks in advance all!

18. kahine macrumors regular

I didnt put words in your mouth -

Get a clue - you specifically said OS X does not read NTFS files -

There's a difference between reading and writing files FYI and it's quite frequent to use read only in lots of environments - if you have files on your boot camp you can easily copy them straight to your OS X from inside OS X if you need them - you said it didnt read NTFS -

I pointed out you were wrong with your OWN words - it does read files - maybe you need to learn the difference and not spout off -

YOUR own words

"On paper NTFS is the best to go with, unfortunately OSX doesn't read it"

Seems like a pretty clear incorrect statement to me

19. kahine macrumors regular

Depends on RAM you will have - if you have 4GB or more , I'd suggest Vista64 , if not then XP32

20. jeffuwee macrumors member

jeffuwee

what if i had 2gb of ram? does the 32 bit and 64 bit really make that much of a difference?

21. Trip.Tucker Guest

LOL @ pants! <-- I love that term ;)

I have to agree on Vista vs XP for pretty much most of the games out there. Most of our forum posts (gamers site) lean toward XP being a better setup, yielding better frame rates, much more than 1fps, and allowing for easier troubleshooting.

22. kahine macrumors regular

2GB I'd stick with XP - wouldn't bother with Vista unless was the 64 version -

23. Trip.Tucker Guest

I think raggedjimi meant to say OS X cannot write to NTFS, which is as important as reading from NTFS.

24. Trip.Tucker Guest

The simplest approach so you can enjoy your Mac experience: Go ahead and get the MacBook Pro, setup a BootCamp partition using the Leopard DVD and then install Windows XP (it's cheap and has ongoing support from Microsoft as it was recently extended) and you will have no issues with drivers as they are all on the Leopard DVD, and readily available online. I play COD2, COD4, Crysis and DOD:S on my BootCamp Windows XP partition day in and day out with no issues.

Don't worry about 64 bit versions of Windows XP or Vista as most games do not make use of it.

25. Faslane66 macrumors newbie

XP with SP3

I'd run XP with SP3 on the MBP for gaming. Vista will hog a few more resources and you'll have to turn the game texturing and some graphics options of to get it to work perfectly with no lag etc. I have a MBP 2.4GHz with 4GB Ram and a 256MB Nvidia and I can run everything to Maximum in the game and play online just fine! :) It Rules...when I had Vista on the sam config, I had to turn the game options down a bit.