XR official clear case from Apple is now on their site

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thadoggfather, Dec 5, 2018.

1. M1905 macrumors newbie

I would prefer the Silicone and Leather Cases.....

More Premium feeling Than a clear Case

2. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

Is it open at the bottom like their other cases?

3. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

yes

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

judging from the image, yep. will be

Not sure if this thread will just be redirected to the front page one or not but..

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

40 bucks for a clear case?! A late one at that!

Somebody's way too high at Apple.

6. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

Would have considered it but £45 and no full coverage is a no from me.

7. Aneres11 macrumors 68020

Aneres11

I literally cannot at the fact it is £45.
    I mean, the leather cases aren’t much more expensive for the XS’s so that is a joke.

Phone might be budget friendly but the case certainly is not!

8. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

9. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I normally detest clear cases, but the way it hugs the phone is probably better than most.

10. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

They have the worst photos of the case. Let’s see the sides and the bottom, how it fits on the front. Not a pic of all the colors only from the back.

11. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

I paid £9 for an ESR clear case that isn’t a smudge magnet. Also covers the bottom of the phone.

I think cases are one of the areas where apples greed can’t be denied.

12. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I tried an ESR clear case. Not sure it was the same one but it was £8.99 from Amazon. Didn’t like it. The sides weren’t stiff enough for me and the lip around the screen too shallow. But everyone has different tastes in cases.

For me the Apple clear case for the XR is definitely overpriced. However, I've found that their leather and silicone cases are good. Of course there’s nothing for the XR. There are a few leather cases out there that are as good as Apples leather offerings. I have the Mujjo and it’s just as good. But it’s still £40. As for the silicone cases - over the years I’ve tried loads. All the ones I’ve tried have issues. I’m kind of still looking for one for my XR. I’d like something in white silicone just to mix things up a bit. So far I’ve found nothing. And personally I prefer to have the bottom left open.

13. AnthroMatt macrumors 6502

AnthroMatt

It's so easy to just make a lightly frosted back that hides many smudges and hides minimal scratching. It boggles my mind that so many manufacturers choose not to go that route.

14. wolfboy, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

wolfboy macrumors regular

Despite what this guy says, it does look a lot nicer and thinner than the other clear cases from pretty much all angles. Basically like a clear version of their leather/silicone cases.

Still, $40 is a whole lot of money for a clear case, almost as much as a leather case.

EDIT: added screen cap comparison

Attached Files:

15. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

That apple clear case doesn’t look that bad.

16. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

It actually looks much thinner than the others. Also something people commenting and reviewing don’t seem to take into account is that all the other clear cases have very ugly mold lines all over the place in the sides and corners that the Apple case seems to lack making it look much more seamless. To those that hate it....just get a cheaper case and shut up, apple cases have always been expensive. It’s not some revelation.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Anyone have this case?

Will it prevent damage if dropped?

Can anyone offer advice on a good case for someone that often drops their phone:cool:

18. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

The only other clear case that looks as slick as this one is the iamprodigee “Scene Clear” case, though it’s not available for the XR as yet.

19. profets macrumors 601

As usual with Apple accessories , the price is a bit high. But I got one yesterday for my wife’s iPhone, I was curious to try it.

She had been using an inexpensive clear case from amazon, which looked decent, but the material was quite slippery. She loves the feel of this Apple one. Definitely a much more nicely made product.

20. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

I got it, it’ll be going back on Monday... it’s too much money for what it is. It sticks to the back of the phone too, so you get those horrible suction marks. Also picks up skin oil and grease like nobodies business. Generally, I hate it. You might not, and that’s cool. But try it for yourself.

21. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Have u had other clear cases ? How does it compare to those that are all tpu or tpu side ane polycarbonate back?

I’ll Bet considering this, and rainbow effect, that these cases Will yellow eventually like other clear cases

22. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Yeah I have others from ESR and another cheaper one (can’t remember), this one does ‘feel’ much nicer. The back is a hard plastic and the sides are softer. It feels great to use, but you sure get the rainbow effect, I’ll bet it yellows too.

23. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

If it doesnt yellow, which I’m dubious of, may be it would be worth its silly price then?

But yellowing, $39 is WAYYY too high imo

24. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Even then, not for me... if I can buy 5 replacement cases for ones that eventually yellow. It’s still not worth it!