Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That’s a shame it’s not the greatest value.

I have the Caudabe Lucid clear crystal case. It’s hard polycarbonate all around and looks great. It covers the bottom of the phone and it’s only $24.95. Doesn’t have a rainbow effect. It fits well and it’s easy to get the phone in and out of the case. Can do wireless charging. Does not block any speakers or ports or mics. Some people find it too slippery but I don’t. It’s got a barely there look on my yellow Xr and on the Coral that my friend has.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
That’s a shame it’s not the greatest value.

I have the Caudabe Lucid clear crystal case. It’s hard polycarbonate all around and looks great. It covers the bottom of the phone and it’s only $24.95. Doesn’t have a rainbow effect. It fits well and it’s easy to get the phone in and out of the case. Can do wireless charging. Does not block any speakers or ports or mics. Some people find it too slippery but I don’t. It’s got a barely there look on my yellow Xr and on the Coral that my friend has.
Pics?

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
I got it, it’ll be going back on Monday... it’s too much money for what it is. It sticks to the back of the phone too, so you get those horrible suction marks. Also picks up skin oil and grease like nobodies business. Generally, I hate it. You might not, and that’s cool. But try it for yourself.

Hmmm…I received mine on Friday, and have been using it since midday Friday. This is not my experience whatsoever.

I have the [PRODUCT] Red iPhone XR, and 's Clear Case does NOT stick to the back of my iPhone at all. I can press on the case on the back of the phone all over, and the case simply does not stick. Not at all.

I'm with you on the "picking up everything." Thankfully a clean swipe on my jeans or shirt sleeve instantly takes off all fingerprints and blemishes. The clear case seems to be a little more dust-resistant that the other clear cases that I've used in the past.

I will hold on to the Silk clear case for the XR. I've found the button feel on the Silk to be superior to 's Clear Case. Honestly I like both for different reasons; the  Case is much more sturdy, and stiff than 's. I believe 's Clear Case's buttons will soften up with use/over time…but for right now, as for Clear Cases (and I've tried a bunch), the Silk clear case has the best button feel I've ever felt in a non- Leather Case.

The Silk clear case is starting to turn a little blue from going in & out of my jeans pockets. That's disappointing. I've had the Silk Clear Case since XR release day. Will see how the  Clear Case does with that. So far, no sign of that (granted it's been just 3 days).

The "rain bowing" or whatever is a "who cares?" issue for just me. I don't care about that.

The case does not stick to the back of my iPhone, I'm grateful for that.

The  case feels very, very sturdy and the open bottom leaves all the Home Screen gestures I need to make/starting at the bottom of the display easier (for me). There's no smell to the  Clear Case. It feels solid.

I'm happy with the  Clear Case. I believe it to be overpriced, but I feel like the protection it provides is worth it (for me). I'll keep the Silk clear case around for exercising or for when it's bitter, bitter cold outside and I need the better button feedback.

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Received my clear Xr Apple case today. I will share some first impressions.

Until now, I have mainly used a knockoff silicone case from Torras via Amazon.
Not as good as what I remember with the Apple branded ones, but fairly nice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GW52VZ5/ref=twister_B07GWFKBPB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have also used a Spigen Liquid Crystal and a Caudabe Lucid Clear, which I will draw some comparisons to.

I know the Spigen has some fans, but frankly I couldn’t take it off my Xr fast enough.
Bulky, but mainly, a really tacky, rubbery feeling. I suppose grippy, but it just made the whole phone experience feel cheap.

The Caudabe was quite a bit better. Nicely made. Pretty slim with a good fit. The only deal breaker is how slippery it feels.

The clear case from Apple is in the middle grip wise. Not nearly as slippery as the Caudabe, but a way better feel than the Spigen.
It is also relatively slim and I don’t have any of the bubble effect that some have reported.

Is it worth $40? Probably not, but that is not a deal breaker if I like carrying it.

I have found that for me, not all clear cases are created equal, and the one from Apple seems to feel & fit the best.

However, one big potential deal breaker are the buttons.
They feel mushy, and not precise or clicky. Some have speculated that the buttons may break in.
I am certainly going to use the return period to evaluate whether that happens or if I can just get used to it.

If not, I will happily use the copy silicone case until perhaps Apple comes out with one.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GW52VZ5/ref=twister_B07GWFKBPB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have also used a Spigen Liquid Crystal and a Caudabe Lucid Clear, which I will draw some comparisons to.

I know the Spigen has some fans, but frankly I couldn’t take it off my Xr fast enough.
Bulky, but mainly, a really tacky, rubbery feeling. I suppose grippy, but it just made the whole phone experience feel cheap.

The Caudabe was quite a bit better. Nicely made. Pretty slim with a good fit. The only deal breaker is how slippery it feels.

The clear case from Apple is in the middle grip wise. Not nearly as slippery as the Caudabe, but a way better feel than the Spigen.
It is also relatively slim and I don’t have any of the bubble effect that some have reported.

Is it worth $40? Probably not, but that is not a deal breaker if I like carrying it.

I have found that for me, not all clear cases are created equal, and the one from Apple seems to feel & fit the best.

They feel mushy, and not precise or clicky. Some have speculated that the buttons may break in.
I am certainly going to use the return period to evaluate whether that happens or if I can just get used to it.

If not, I will happily use the copy silicone case until perhaps Apple comes out with one.

how is the flex compared to the liquid crystal? is it feeling like a polycarbonate back / tpu sides or a blend of both? does the side feel different than back

i have a liquid crystal so thats a good reference point for me. also a caudabe, but the sheath

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
how is the flex compared to the liquid crystal? is it feeling like a polycarbonate back / tpu sides or a blend of both? does the side feel different than back

i have a liquid crystal so thats a good reference point for me. also a caudabe, but the sheath

I don't have the Spigen with me at work, but from memory it is much more flexible than the Apple clear case.
The Caudabe Lucid Clear and the Apple case feel more similar in stiffness.

The Spigen feels more rubbery while the other two feel more like a harder plastic.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
They don't want you to see that it makes the larger bezels look even larger still.

You can get a good idea by looking at the clear OtterBox Vue cases on the Apple Store for the iPhone XS. Although the bezels look slightly thinner than an XS in a plastic OtterBox Vue Series.

And you can always make the dull iPhone XS or MAX look like a colourful XR by putting it in an Apple silicone case. It’ll also give you the bezels of an XR :)

Last edited:

C@lFox

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018

I also got the Spigen Liquid Crystal but find it a bit bulky, do you have pictures to compare with the Apple case ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.