iPhone XS Max XS Max Silver: already scratched

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jutah, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Jutah macrumors regular

My hope was that this time the Apple has strenghtned the coat of the silver frame but after a week a see many micro scratches on my new XS Max Silver.

What about yours? I use it with maximum care and i have installed protective film on the frame but... the spot uncovered are already scratched as hell.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The surgical stainless steel bands are not any different from the 2017 iPhone X, it’s just raw stainless that will accrue micro scratches very easily. If you wanted added protection, then you could have considered the space gray which has the PVD coating protecting the bands.

The Advantage with the silver iPhone X stainless bands, the scratches can be removed with a polishing cloth.

3. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

"That'll buff right out" ™

4. Jutah thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, i was asking because i’ve Read that it seems that this round the frame was more resistant.

I don’t like the polishing cloth, it gives me the idea that after some use they take away the shiness of the frame...

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No, it’s the exact same surgical stainless bands that was used on the 2017 iPhone X. Nothing has changed for the surgical stainless bands for iPhone XS Silver iPhone.

6. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

That is in fact the opposite of how that works

7. basti_no macrumors regular

Well I doubt that. Used mine without a case a few days and had it in my pocket. Not a single scratch.

8. ToddH macrumors 65816

ToddH

Amazon cape cod polishing cloth. It works great! I have mine in a case, not risking dropping this iPhone just because I prefer to go naked and show off the new iPhone, nope a case is on! Besides nobody cares what phone I have upgraded to anyways so there’s really no point in showing it off. But this cloth works very well at removing scratches.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Indeed. I own two of the Cape Cod cloths and they are excellent in restoration.

A37EECDB-4DE6-43DD-B760-5F9CF537269D.jpeg

10. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I had the X. I polished it two times and it looks brand new. I got the xs max in space grey and ive been missing the raw polished frame on the silver. Im going to return it for another silver as I feel like it feels better in your hand also then the coating(almost like a painted coat).
    Just polish it. Stainless steel watches all get micro scratches but they look brand new when you polish them. Nothing has changed this year its just raw stainless

11. jdsmitty10 macrumors regular

All I see so far on my silver is finger prints lol..be tough to see micro scratches behind all the finger prints.. But IF i find micro scratches I will just take it to my polishing wheel..lol jk..

12. Jutah thread starter macrumors regular

The cape cod should work also with minor scratch? I have a minor one that can barely feel with the nail.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2018 ---
    I see this two item. Your is the second one. Wondering the differences (if any) between the 2.

Attached Files:

13. barkomatic macrumors 601

If you can feel it with a nail then I'm sure I'd call that a minor scratch, but I've used the Cape Cod cloths on my silver iPhone X that had hairline scratches and it left it very shiny and new without any discoloration.

If you have a deep scratch it may lighten it, but probably won't get rid of it entirely. You might want to wait a few months for other scratches to appear.

14. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

I’ve had to use a cape cod cloth on my Xs gold already. (Slight manufacture blemish on the bottom band next to the mic grille) Worked a treat. No colour came off that I’m aware of.

15. Jutah, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

Jutah thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.
    The scratch that’s bothering me is no deep but not so light that a nail can’t feel it.

The bad thing is that I baby care the phone and I have no idea how it pops out.

16. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

There's no way around scratches with Stainless Steel even if you baby the phone. For example my Silver X has been in a case for a while and even like that it got scratches. Just use the phone and don't mind about it.

17. Jutah thread starter macrumors regular

yes you're right.
    Honestly i was hoping that the '18 edition was less prone to scratch, but it's not.

18. barkomatic macrumors 601

It's not anything you did. I put my iPhone in an Apple leather case and in its own dedicated pocket without anything else in it and it still acquired very light hairline scratches visible in bright light.

Oddly enough, once I polished it the bands they don't seem to acquire scratches nearly as fast--but perhaps that's my imagination.

19. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

Don’t worry about hairline scratches, just cape cod the steel band before you sell it on :) (obviously with the two colour variants I would take extreme caution before polishing them, If at all) I can’t recommend the cape cod cloths enough, they’re great !

I used very light pressure when polishing the gold band on mine. And extreme caution :p

Edit. I’m in no way advocating that people try polishing their gold/space grey iPhone. I only did mine because the blemish was annoying me

20. Oreon macrumors regular

Oreon

Another Vote for Cape Cod, my Xs max slid off my seat and fell onto the metal frame, scratches all across the top, buffed right out now good as new! I’m astounded!

21. Jutah thread starter macrumors regular

So does it worked even with with light deep act ratchets and not not just with hairlines?

22. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

As with polishing scratches out of car paintwork.. if you run your finger nail over the scratch and can feel it, it probably won’t polish out, as it will be too deep.

23. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Why would a polishing cloth make it less shiny? You’re polishing it to make it shine again.

24. Jutah thread starter macrumors regular

you're right, probably cape cod is not the solution. Mothers mag probably will work better over the deep scratches, but i don i'm afraid to make a mess with that kinda product.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2018 ---
    note that i'm still in time for a return, but i know that is just a matter of time and even in the new unit other hairlaine, or scratches will appear. :(

25. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

To be honest, this might sound a little odd.. but I think your best bet would be to take it into a jewellers, and ask if they could polish the scratch out for you.

After all, they work with a lot of finely made jewellery all day, so an iPhone band should be a piece of cake to polish up for you