Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone XS Max XS Max Silver: already scratched

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
My hope was that this time the Apple has strenghtned the coat of the silver frame but after a week a see many micro scratches on my new XS Max Silver.

What about yours? I use it with maximum care and i have installed protective film on the frame but... the spot uncovered are already scratched as hell.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
My hope was that this time the Apple has strenghtned the coat of the silver frame but after a week a see many micro scratches on my new XS Max Silver.

The surgical stainless steel bands are not any different from the 2017 iPhone X, it’s just raw stainless that will accrue micro scratches very easily. If you wanted added protection, then you could have considered the space gray which has the PVD coating protecting the bands.

The Advantage with the silver iPhone X stainless bands, the scratches can be removed with a polishing cloth.

Comment

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
The surgical stainless steel bands are not any different from the 2017 iPhone X, it’s just raw stainless that will accrue micro scratches very easily. If you wanted added protection, then you could have considered the space gray which has the PVD coating protecting the bands.

The Advantage with the silver iPhone X stainless bands, the scratches can be removed with a polishing cloth.

Sure, i was asking because i’ve Read that it seems that this round the frame was more resistant.

I don’t like the polishing cloth, it gives me the idea that after some use they take away the shiness of the frame...

Comment

basti_no

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017

What about yours? I use it with maximum care and i have installed protective film on the frame but... the spot uncovered are already scratched as hell.
Well I doubt that. Used mine without a case a few days and had it in my pocket. Not a single scratch.

Comment

ToddH

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Amazon cape cod polishing cloth. It works great! I have mine in a case, not risking dropping this iPhone just because I prefer to go naked and show off the new iPhone, nope a case is on! Besides nobody cares what phone I have upgraded to anyways so there’s really no point in showing it off. But this cloth works very well at removing scratches.

Reactions: jsimpson
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Amazon cape cod polishing cloth. It works great! I have mine in a case, not risking dropping this iPhone just because I prefer to go naked and show off the new iPhone, nope a case is on! Besides nobody cares what phone I have upgraded to anyways so there’s really no point in showing it off. But this cloth works very well at removing scratches.

Indeed. I own two of the Cape Cod cloths and they are excellent in restoration.

A37EECDB-4DE6-43DD-B760-5F9CF537269D.jpeg

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
I had the X. I polished it two times and it looks brand new. I got the xs max in space grey and ive been missing the raw polished frame on the silver. Im going to return it for another silver as I feel like it feels better in your hand also then the coating(almost like a painted coat).
Just polish it. Stainless steel watches all get micro scratches but they look brand new when you polish them. Nothing has changed this year its just raw stainless

Comment

jdsmitty10

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
All I see so far on my silver is finger prints lol..be tough to see micro scratches behind all the finger prints.. But IF i find micro scratches I will just take it to my polishing wheel..lol jk..

Comment

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
The cape cod should work also with minor scratch? I have a minor one that can barely feel with the nail.
[doublepost=1538658465][/doublepost]
Indeed. I own two of the Cape Cod cloths and they are excellent in restoration.

View attachment 791975

I see this two item. Your is the second one. Wondering the differences (if any) between the 2.

Attachments

• E22F35F0-157F-43DA-B5D3-215F4DA64A3E.jpeg
    E22F35F0-157F-43DA-B5D3-215F4DA64A3E.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 125
Comment

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The cape cod should work also with minor scratch? I have a minor one that can barely feel with the nail.
[doublepost=1538658465][/doublepost]

I see this two item. Your is the second one. Wondering the differences (if any) between the 2.

If you can feel it with a nail then I'm sure I'd call that a minor scratch, but I've used the Cape Cod cloths on my silver iPhone X that had hairline scratches and it left it very shiny and new without any discoloration.

If you have a deep scratch it may lighten it, but probably won't get rid of it entirely. You might want to wait a few months for other scratches to appear.

Comment

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I’ve had to use a cape cod cloth on my Xs gold already. (Slight manufacture blemish on the bottom band next to the mic grille) Worked a treat. No colour came off that I’m aware of.

Comment

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
If you can feel it with a nail then I'm sure I'd call that a minor scratch, but I've used the Cape Cod cloths on my silver iPhone X that had hairline scratches and it left it very shiny and new without any discoloration.

If you have a deep scratch it may lighten it, but probably won't get rid of it entirely. You might want to wait a few months for other scratches to appear.

Thank you.
The scratch that’s bothering me is no deep but not so light that a nail can’t feel it.

The bad thing is that I baby care the phone and I have no idea how it pops out.

Last edited:
Comment

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
There's no way around scratches with Stainless Steel even if you baby the phone. For example my Silver X has been in a case for a while and even like that it got scratches. Just use the phone and don't mind about it.

Reactions: Wide opeN
Comment

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
There's no way around scratches with Stainless Steel even if you baby the phone. For example my Silver X has been in a case for a while and even like that it got scratches. Just use the phone and don't mind about it.

yes you're right.
Honestly i was hoping that the '18 edition was less prone to scratch, but it's not.

Comment

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Thank you.
The scratch that’s bothering me is no deep but not even as light that a nail can fee it.

The bad thing is that I baby care the phone and I have no idea how it pops out.

It's not anything you did. I put my iPhone in an Apple leather case and in its own dedicated pocket without anything else in it and it still acquired very light hairline scratches visible in bright light.

Oddly enough, once I polished it the bands they don't seem to acquire scratches nearly as fast--but perhaps that's my imagination.

Comment

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Don’t worry about hairline scratches, just cape cod the steel band before you sell it on :) (obviously with the two colour variants I would take extreme caution before polishing them, If at all) I can’t recommend the cape cod cloths enough, they’re great !

I used very light pressure when polishing the gold band on mine. And extreme caution :p

Edit. I’m in no way advocating that people try polishing their gold/space grey iPhone. I only did mine because the blemish was annoying me

Comment

Oreon

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Another Vote for Cape Cod, my Xs max slid off my seat and fell onto the metal frame, scratches all across the top, buffed right out now good as new! I’m astounded!

Reactions: Wide opeN
Comment

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Another Vote for Cape Cod, my Xs max slid off my seat and fell onto the metal frame, scratches all across the top, buffed right out now good as new! I’m astounded!

So does it worked even with with light deep act ratchets and not not just with hairlines?

Comment

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
So does it worked even with with light deep act ratchets and not not just with hairlines?
As with polishing scratches out of car paintwork.. if you run your finger nail over the scratch and can feel it, it probably won’t polish out, as it will be too deep.

Reactions: Jutah
Comment

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Sure, i was asking because i’ve Read that it seems that this round the frame was more resistant.

I don’t like the polishing cloth, it gives me the idea that after some use they take away the shiness of the frame...

Why would a polishing cloth make it less shiny? You’re polishing it to make it shine again.

Reactions: Vermifuge
Comment

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
As with polishing scratches out of car paintwork.. if you run your finger nail over the scratch and can feel it, it probably won’t polish out, as it will be too deep.

you're right, probably cape cod is not the solution. Mothers mag probably will work better over the deep scratches, but i don i'm afraid to make a mess with that kinda product.
[doublepost=1538666064][/doublepost]note that i'm still in time for a return, but i know that is just a matter of time and even in the new unit other hairlaine, or scratches will appear. :(

Comment

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
you're right, probably cape cod is not the solution. Mothers mag probably will work better over the deep scratches, but i don i'm afraid to make a mess with that kinda product.
To be honest, this might sound a little odd.. but I think your best bet would be to take it into a jewellers, and ask if they could polish the scratch out for you.

After all, they work with a lot of finely made jewellery all day, so an iPhone band should be a piece of cake to polish up for you

Reactions: FreddyKrueger
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.