iPhone XS Max XS Max Silver Bezel Scratches Removed, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cemong82, Dec 2, 2018.

1. cemong82 macrumors newbie

cemong82

Ok i have a mirror like shine on a piece of polished aluminum (xs max bezel) but i used a microfiber and autosol metal polisher to get rid of a scratch and though all the scratches are gone, it left a bad haze that i can`t get out with no matter what kinda microfiber or metal polish or abrasive i use. I used autosol metal polisher the first go around to get the haze than tried to use mothers to remove it and nothing. Any idea how to remove the haze so i can restore its mirror perfection? Thanks.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Absolutely no idea what to tell you to remove that. However, if you do get it removed and you want to take out scratches again later on, use a Cape Cod Cloth.

Many of the forums members here recommend that.

CapeCod-PolishingCloth001_576x576.jpg

4. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

It would appear that they are fine scratches. I did use the cape cod cloth and despite it succesfully removed 100% of the scratch, it also leaves this super-fine micro scratches. I don`t think its the clothes i am using, the cloth was an eye glass cloth, super soft, the second was a jewlery polishing cloth and the third was a microfiber, all tested in different areas and all basically added some sorta super fine thin hair line scratches that appear to be hazing. So how in tarnation do i get them out? Thanks.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Tarn-X maybe?

I really don't know.

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

You might not be able to remove the fine scratches unless you use a dremel with a polishing wheel. There a thread in the Apple Watch forum where a member removed a serious scratch from his SS watch and the final result was excellent. The final step was to use a dremel to polish the case and it looked brand new..

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sounds like the autosol you used was too abrasive. The cape cod cloths will not do that. I would stick with the cape cod cloth as it is a very fine abrasive. It might remove the scratches from the autosol but will take a lot of work.

8. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

wha
    what is a dremel ? my xs silver bezel material is surgical stainless steel if im not mistaken. i used autosol and removes the main scratches succesfully but now under certain light angle i can see some micro fine scratches (marring, swirl)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    i had lots of ppl reccommendation of this product (autosol, bluemagic,brasso,etc) and also youtube vidoes , google, for polishing this iphone x/xs silver bezel.
    does cape cod have any difference in ingredients with autosol ?
    i also have meguiars scratch x and mothers plastic polish but never use them on my iphone

9. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

9B009AAF-8E7F-4C83-BE9F-DA8797BCCD17.jpeg
    You can use it for all sorts of things, one of them is polishing. Variable speed so you can get excellent control depending on your needs

10. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

so which is better dremmel or cape cod ?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

In unskilled hands the Dremel can get someone in trouble.

12. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Correct.

13. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

i have this polisher looks like in the pictures but not sure which tip should i use . when i touch them, most are hard and like stones

14. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

A Dremmel is complete ‘Over-kill’ for the iPhone bands. A Cape Cod cloth is a cheap, effective way to remove the scratches, it may leave some marring, but hardly visible to the eye. Auto-Sol with a cue-tip would be sufficient, but don’t allow it to come into contact with the display, which would have a reaction with the Oleophobic coating on the display, which also applies to the Cape cod cloth.

16. fs454 macrumors 68000

I don't know, but I've been using Cape Cod wipes on Apple stainless (Watch series 0 and iPhone X) for years now and they work flawlessly. You have to use a lot of pressure.

I wouldn't use anything else.

17. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

does it leaves any marring like my autosol did ? in my experience autosol and other polishing cream easily removes all scratches but also leaves marring
    So cape cloth will leaves some marring just like my autosol did ?
    there are fine hairline scratches that you can see and im very pissed because the only reason i used autosol was to see it would shine it up more on certain areas and instead it made it 100x worse. I believe the materials is called surgical stainless steel.
    Also, can you get cape cod in the stores? Will it remove the hairline scratches or will it be yet another disappointment out of the other 3 products that i`ve used? Thanks.

18. Newtons Apple, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The CapeCod clothes are sold through Amazon. They will remove the hairline scratches and give you a mirror finish. Not sure how much damage the autosol did so it may take some work with the CapeCod cloth.

The autosol must have turned your applicator dark, a sure sign of some serious abraiding.

19. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

first pic : i marked one of those “micro scratches” with the blue circle.

2nd and 3rd pic : micro scratch becoming straight line scratches after i wipe them more. but thinner and less visible.

Attached Files:

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The scratch was a pretty deep one from looking at the image. The autosol would remove it quicker due to it being more abrasive but left the abrasions in the direction of use. The CapeCod cloth should remove.

21. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Whatever you used just wasn't that good. Try out the exact clothes mentioned in this thread.

22. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

ok thank you for the guide. i ordered it yesterday. about the cape cod cloth, do i have to use theit cloth or can i use my own glasses cloth ?

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The cloth come sealed in a resealable aluminum envelope and it impregnated with the polish. You have to use the cloth for the actual polishing but then you can use your eyeglass cloth to wipe it off. The CapeCod cloth is a very mild, fine abrasive so it might take some rubbing but it will not mar the surface what so ever.

24. cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

ok i will report back once i tried it. thanks newtons.

25. cemong82, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

cemong82 thread starter macrumors newbie

cemong82

ok just finished using the cape cod cloth and the result is amazing. i only use maybe 20% of my finger pressure for 20-30 seconds. wiping it down in a very gently manner . and all the super fine micro scratches are GONE. now back in a mirror finish like brand new. thanks a lot Newtons !!

ps : the cape cod cloth is VERY OILY. not sure why they make it this way. maybe this is the good thing so they dont leave any abrasions like any other polishing cream ?

Attached Files: