xSERVE for desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MaCDathan, Dec 23, 2008.

1. MaCDathan macrumors newbie

I need a computer for doing a lot of music stuff, and web site development, and I really wanted something that wouldn't take up the space and had the hard drive room. Can a G41.3 xserve serve as a music studio computer, and a web development computer....

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A G4? No. Even the CURRENT Mac Mini benches twice as fast as the best G4 XServe. Just wait for the Mac Mini update and get one of those and an external hard drive.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Probably but you are looking at an expensive option for a desktop computer. That is unless you are getting it for a steal, of course. Plus these things are actually bigger than most people think. You'd be better off with a PowerMac G5 or Mac Pro.

4. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

And a particularly dated option...

You can do better than $400 a pop.

6. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

where.....Still I want to know if it's going to be worth the money or not...i dont want to waste time or effort if it aint gonna benefit me nothing....

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you really want it to, but servers are prohibitively loud and run quite hot because they're not intended for home use. I should mention, xServes are huge... it may be 1.73 inches tall, but it's also 1'5" wide, and 2'2" long. To run properly, it would take up a lot of desk space. I'd look into a Power Mac G4 and putting it on the floor or maybe a G4 mini with external hard drives.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Or maybe just wait and see if the current Mini is replaced at Macworld. The base level of that plus a nice external array would be perfect for your needs, cost a similar price, and be a better value.

9. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.... Can the mini keep up with heavy studio apps...If so...I'll buy into that...
    I was going to put the Xserves in my rack. But I dont need the noise...

10. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

what I've always been concerned about with mini's is that they only can take 1G of ram....

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, the current mini's can handle 3GB (2GB officially), and the new ones will likely handle 4GB officially and probably 6GB unofficially (assuming they're based off the NVIDIA chipset as predicted).

jW

12. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nice machine; it'd do what you want really well, just wait for the update that will supposedly come at MacWorld.

14. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

ok .....would the g4 Xserve run a website real well?

15. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The hardware is the same, basically, as any other G4. What people are saying is that an Xserve will "do the job", but there are better options for home users out there. A Mini of any kind, especially an Intel one, would be far smaller than an Xserve G4 and give better performance.

So yes, an Xserve will easily act as a web host, just like any other G4 Mac. Or any other Mac running OS X.

Basically, the only time you start looking at Xserves is when you have a rack and need to fit a bunch of servers/computers into a small-ish space. There's always a desktop of similar or better specs out there for less.

16. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Don't know about running the website, but an iMac, aside from the 20" display mediocre-ness, is a great product. I've been using mine and have been extremely happy with it.

17. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Im looking at 2 Imac G5's 20'
    a Powermac G5, and a Xserve.... I am a mac lover...but I've been with Windows and linux PCs for awhile...So I am making the change...but I cant blow my budget....as of right now that is only1500$ so I can only get Imacs...and they will have to be used.or refurbs

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What country is that $1500? US? Canadian? Australian?

If it's US, a new 20" iMac is $1200/$1500. Either of those will spank any of those PPCs you've listed.

19. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

20. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Why on earth do you need two?

Personally, I'd skip the G5 iMacs. I've known several over the years, and they're unreliable. Plus, the single CPU G5s were pretty slow, all things considered. Go for an Intel iMac.

21. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, that does limit your options, but maybe you should have said that up front.

How many is qty?

If it's two, you can get refurb Minis for $500 - http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini - get two and cheap USB keyboards and mice, and cheap 22" screens (TigerDirect has 22" Acers for $169).

That wouldn't blow your budget, and they'd still be better than most PPC Macs.

22. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

2-3 is what Im looking at....are the PPC that bad...?

23. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Its not that they are bad, its that it isn't a smart investment; at least in my opinion.

24. akm3 macrumors 68020

PPC is a dead end, it only make sense to buy Intel at this point.

The current Intel Mac Mini bests any G4 anything. It is smaller, quieter, uses less power, and outperforms the PPC Macs (even the G5 in many circumstances) A lot of new software can only run on the Intel cpu's.

The mini makes a great little server, workstation, or whatever. Yes, it doesn't have huge horsepower like a Mac Pro, but you are considering a G4 =D

I got my Mac Mini for under $500 from the refurb store, and it was the best computer purchase I've ever made.

25. MaCDathan thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess Im just going to have to see. I saw this 32in LCD screen that would look nice with a mini....But I might just got with G5 Imac or a Intel Mini.