Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I can not update to El Capitan if XtraFinder is not supported. And it seems that Sytem Integrity Protection has to be disabled all the time to run it. So my questions would be:

- Is it really dangerous to have SIP disabled all the time, or it will be just as dangerous as Yosemite has always been?

- What is your experience guys running XtraFinder under El Capitan?

If XtraFinder does not work in El Capitan, I just can not update OSX, I got so used and dependable on Xtrafinder, so much much better than the regular finder, that if it's necessary to stay in Yosemite, I will do so.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, well. Apple this time puts a little bit too much faith in SIP, by removing "verify and repair permission" option, and maybe some other changes. Oh, this reminds me when Windows vista was released, where such statements popped out.

So if you need to disable rootless all the time, I think your system will become more dangerous than before.

Reactions: Lolito

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Is the guide you've followed similar to this one?
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/system-integrity-protection

Not having any issues with TotalFinder and the computer has rebooted at least five times today. XtraFinder hasn't been updated since the betas, so I'm wondering if it's ready to begin with since there might be a few API changes.

It's going to be as "insecure" as Yosemite. But it's not like they stop asking you for your admin password to make changes, so thee's still some of the basic system protections in place.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I purchased Totalfinder back in the day, I have the license, but Xtrafinder is a few billion times better in my view. In any case, yes that is how I made it, and had some kernel panics in every boot, but I don't know if it was because Capitan was on beta, or my raid, or xtrafinder, or disabling SIP.

In any case, maybe together we could start to get some conclusions that help us all, first I would like to know if disabling SIP, will make the system just as secure/insecure as Yosemite was, cause if that is the case, I have no problems with that. I know where not to click in the internet, I use little snitch, I can also set up to not allow internet apps to install...

Shouldn't be a problem, apparently.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I have read that totalfinder guide and also the Ars Technica guide...

My conclusion is that the bastards at Apple, are so stupid that they did not copy the great features of xtra finder yet, because they are retarded and focused on iOS. just the same way as iTunes is such an important app, and it's so extremely crap, starting on usability and user interface, that is awfully disgusting just to think about it. So these suckers at Apple, they can't do decent apps, but they just take years to copy the competition. When the **** are they gonna copy xtra finder, put folders on top, put tabs, side by side... I mean, it is like I would have to quit firefox or chrome and use the crappy Safari as my main and only browser...

My ****ing godness, these bastards at Apple made themselves some kind of elite crappy microsoft, like some kind of Mercedes Benz of computers, but without the greatness of mercedes...

Shame, shame, shame...

Or perhaps I will just disable SIP completely and be over this, right? yes, I think that would be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I have read that totalfinder guide and also the Ars Technica guide...

My conclusion is that the bastards at Apple, are so stupid that they did not copy the great features of xtra finder yet, because they are retarded and focused on iOS. just the same way as iTunes is such an important app, and it's so extremely crap, starting on usability and user interface, that is awfully disgusting just to think about it. So these suckers at Apple, they can't do decent apps, but they just take years to copy the competition. When the **** are they gonna copy xtra finder, put folders on top, put tabs, side by side... I mean, it is like I would have to quit firefox or chrome and use the crappy Safari as my main and only browser...

My ****ing godness, these bastards at Apple made themselves some kind of elite crappy microsoft, like some kind of Mercedes Benz of computers, but without the greatness of mercedes...

Shame, shame, shame...

Or perhaps I will just disable SIP completely and be over this, right? yes, I think that would be enough.
even if you disable sip, not all the features of xtrafinder work in capitan, the app needs to be updated and the dev is very slow with that, i remember last year too with yosemite

Last edited by a moderator:

teezy

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Tri-State Area, USA
I had to first revert the corestorage volume (which disabled FileVault, obviously), disable SIP, run xtrafinder one time, and re-enable SIP and FileVault. Did this all this morning and have done a few reboots since, haven't had a problem at all... yet. Colored sidebar items in the Finder windows work, my "show/hide hidden items" keystroke works, cut and paste works, etc etc... I also got cDock to work by doing this (as directed by the developer, anyway...) I do hope that xtrafinder gets updated sooner than later though, just for peace of mind. But it's pretty awesome that it does work in spite of all the other stuff

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Ehh, if I didn't get these things in bundles, I'm not sure I'd even buy them.

I like the folders on top feature, cut and paste, and the restoration of the tag colors.

But I have to give credit for the things Apple did improve in Finder over the years. I remember when downloads used to default to the desktop, when you couldn't slap a shortcut at the top, and you didn't have smart folders and the like.

There are other bigger issues I have. Like yesterday I had to run around the internet and figure out how to burn a video to DVD. I know that's the norm for 2015 (I had to use Permute to convert/make an ISO), but I just think it's weird. I don't care for the new Disk Utility either, the new partition resize in particular, but I guess I'll get used to it over time or just learn to use the terminal better.

Yeah, I did see that XtraFinder hasn't been updated since July. That's quite a bit of times for things to still change within the beta and release. They might be things they could fix within the next two weeks though. I would think that because of the new protections that they would have had a sense of urgency of dealing with it because it basically destroys their business, there was a lot of testing on making sure Bartender and a lot of these apps worked on day one anyway.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
Ehh, if I didn't get these things in bundles, I'm not sure I'd even buy them.

I like the folders on top feature, cut and paste, and the restoration of the tag colors.

But I have to give credit for the things Apple did improve in Finder over the years. I remember when downloads used to default to the desktop, when you couldn't slap a shortcut at the top, and you didn't have smart folders and the like.

There are other bigger issues I have. Like yesterday I had to run around the internet and figure out how to burn a video to DVD. I know that's the norm for 2015 (I had to use Permute to convert/make an ISO), but I just think it's weird. I don't care for the new Disk Utility either, the new partition resize in particular, but I guess I'll get used to it over time or just learn to use the terminal better.

Yeah, I did see that XtraFinder hasn't been updated since July. That's quite a bit of times for things to still change within the beta and release. They might be things they could fix within the next two weeks though. I would think that because of the new protections that they would have had a sense of urgency of dealing with it because it basically destroys their business, there was a lot of testing on making sure Bartender and a lot of these apps worked on day one anyway.

what business do you talk about? xtrafinder is for free.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I did the csrutil command in recovery and Xtrafinder now launches while before it did not. Not all of the options work though, specifically my favorite, "Folders on top". I can't say off the top of my mind what features are working or what other features are not though.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
even if you disable sip, not all the features of xtrafinder work in capitan, the app needs to be updated and the dev is very slow with that, i remember last year too with yosemite
Dude, it's free software. Y'know, software dev can be hard, especially at the system level. Why not show a bit of kindness and be happy for the fact xtrafinder exists.

Reactions: 5aga

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
- Is it really dangerous to have SIP disabled all the time, or it will be just as dangerous as Yosemite has always been?
It's not dangerous at all. SIP changes the protection levels in a few system directories. There's no magic to it. Consider that the internet runs on machines without these "protections" and things are working well. And, of course, OSX has run without SIP until El Cap, and that worked out fine too.

- What is your experience guys running XtraFinder under El Capitan?
If you switch off SIP it works fine. There are some minor bugs (that haven't affected me), but overall it's the same old xtrafinder we know and love. All is good.

Reactions: teezy

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Dude, it's free software. Y'know, software dev can be hard, especially at the system level. Why not show a bit of kindness and be happy for the fact xtrafinder exists.
Make it a paid app and working and I'll buy it

teezy

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Tri-State Area, USA
How exactly switch off SIP? Steps?

Boot into recovery

Enter terminal

Type in "csrutil disable"

Reboot, run XtraFinder

Boot back into recovery

Enter terminal

Type in "csrutil enable"

Reboot

And then... you SHOULD be good. Worked without a problem for me. Some people had trouble and had to run the command without debug, and for some, it didn't work at all. My issue was that I had FileVault enabled, so my local recovery volume wasn't accessible at the boot selector (and I could only get into internet recovery) until I did reverted the
/to corestorage (whatever), which disabled FileVault for me. Then I was able to get into local recovery, and do what I needed to do. I also enabled FileVault like immediately after I rebooted from re-enabling SIP.

It's not dangerous at all. SIP changes the protection levels in a few system directories. There's no magic to it. Consider that the internet runs on machines without these "protections" and things are working well. And, of course, OSX has run without SIP until El Cap, and that worked out fine too.

If you switch off SIP it works fine. There are some minor bugs (that haven't affected me), but overall it's the same old xtrafinder we know and love. All is good.

Haha yep. The features I made use of on XtraFinder before El Capitan work!
- Colored sidebar icons
- Hide/show items (with the keystroke)
And.... tabs I guess... oh, and cut & paste.

I don't use anything else, like "folders on top", things of that matter. I'm satisfied! Super relieved, honestly.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I just updated from yosemite to capitan, no clean install, just update, no SIP removel. Xtrafinder just works. Only folders on top seems to be not working, the rest all waorks, even tabs, colored icons or parallel tabs view...

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
  • Giuseppe Critellinow install the xfinder

October 3 at 12:26am
  • 11412224_1008362419187863_3034388290266186773_n.jpg

Giuseppe Critelliif you enable SIP xfinder stop working, so you have to enable SIP in parzial mode

October 3 at 12:26am
  • 11412224_1008362419187863_3034388290266186773_n.jpg

Giuseppe Critelliafter you have installed xfinder, Reboot your Mac into Recovery Mode by restarting your computer and holding down Command+R until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
    Click Utilities > Terminal.
    In the Terminal window, type " csrutil enable --without debug "

what the hell is parzial mode?
    https://www.facebook.com/XtraFinder/timeline

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I just updated from yosemite to capitan, no clean install, just update, no SIP removel. Xtrafinder just works. Only folders on top seems to be not working, the rest all waorks, even tabs, colored icons or parallel tabs view...
are you sure sip is enabled ?

enakeprimen

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2012
Jakarta, INDONESIA
I have been using XftraFinder since M Lion. It works well for me on ElCap with SIP enabled (never disabled it before).

Code:
$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.