Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2010
located
17 days to go for you.

Anyway, it's a good way to have a reward for those sticking around and contributing to this board.

They could be bigger though, but that is what the Demi/Contributor status is there for.

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I think its because it keeps out most of those who would make an inappropriate avatar. Or at least that's one of the reasons I think they do it.

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think its because it keeps out most of those who would make an inappropriate avatar. Or at least that's one of the reasons I think they do it.

I think after 100 posts, they could rest assured it's not a spam account trying to promote something, or post inappropriete avatars -

100 posts is some serious dedication to any website, and I find 500 incredibly excessive !!!

It's a flippin avatar, some guys would rather just pay MR $20 bucks than be forced to post 500 times just for an avatar -

@RKO, you are still 2 years away from qualifying for an avatar, so butt out pal!

This "rule" needs to be re-evaluated IMO, and that's the reason for this thread -

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says..is reading the FAQ or searching the forum *really* that difficult? Been there, done that. I still say that stuff that this should double the eligibility....oh yeah!

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
500 posts for an avatar. That's the rule, and no amount of complaining is going to change it. It's a silly thing to get worked up over at any rate.

Like it or lump it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
All those folks above gave you reasons for 500 posts.

But here is the truth - all of us who have avatars got them for only 10 posts. I hate to say it, but the Mods are making you have 500 posts because they don't like you.

Sorry, I know the truth hurts - but I thought somebody should tell you the hard facts. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Hang in, you'll get there. It felt, for me, like a fun landmark.:D

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
It's not a big deal. And I find you a bit rude to ask for one like that, you accepted the rules when you signed up.

500 is for the regular users. This avatar picture is an easy way to recognize people we are used to discuss with. If everyone should have an avatar, this would no longer be the case.

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
Y complain now as you are just about there @422 posts? :rolleyes:

RKO is the perfect example -
he has been posting here for 3 solid years and is clearly not a spammer
But he only has 300 posts, so depriving him of an avatar in fear he might be a spammer is totally excessive.

@Angelo95210 "It's not a big deal. And I find you a bit rude to ask for one like that"

ru serious dude?
you find me rude for asking this question in the "site and forum feedback"
according to u, this forum should NOT be used, and any question posted is being rude?
Nice job Angelo, do you know what the word "feedback" means? :eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I agree, 500 posts is too many to have to wait. There are tons of members who have been here for years and have no avatar. Avatars make reading the forums and identifying members much easier, IMO.

Edit: Except for the ***** who change their avatars every other day. :D

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Maybe there should be similar rules like the Marketplace rules applied to the avatar, like 500 posts or one year of membership, whichever comes first, though there should be a minimum of 100 posts after one year membership to get an avatar. Or something like that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nice job Angelo, do you know what the word "feedback" means? :eek:

This does seem to be a theme in the feedback forum. You asked a legit question and got a stream of smart remarks, but still no answer why it could not be 100 as opposed to 500 posts.

Admittedly not a life altering issue, but a legit question none the less.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
If they change it to 100, why not 75, or even 50? :rolleyes:

MR has gotten along well enough with the established avatar limit. If anything, the mods should make it a moving target for whiny posters. :D

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I'm almost there so it doesn't matter too much for me and I've seen rules similar in other forums but usually the number of posts was 100 or less.

Honestly I think once you reach 200 or 300 it's pretty obvious you're here to stay but hey, it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.