Yahoo push not working on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sft109, Nov 27, 2009.

1. sft109 macrumors newbie

First time Iphone owner here, have the 3GS since Monday. Great little device, pratically a computer in your pocket. Truly impressed by the speed too, 3G seems almost as fast as wi-fi which I was surprised to see - the 3GS can take advantage of it's 7.2mbps speed here in Canada.

However, been having trouble with Yahoo Mail's push as it has not been pushing emails the last 2 days, worked perfectly fine the first two days but now it doesn't seem to be working. All the settings, etc. are correct and unchanged. I also did a reset holding down the power/home buttons and no difference. It does receive mail when I open the mail app and it checks the mailboxes but it's definetely not getting push email from the server. Is this on Yahoo or my wireless provider's (Fido in Canada) end? Anything I can do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I don't know what the cause is, but my Yahoo email hasn't been pushing the last few days, either (or, when it has, it's been spotty. Like it'll work for a few hours and then quit again.) I've reset a few times and that's gotten it going again, but it doesn't last. So I'm also curious as to whether anyone has any suggestions on this one.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Very likely it's a Yahoo end thing. Since your Internet/data service works, Fido's network is up, and since you can access your email manually, Yahoo's service is up but doesn't push, led me to think they might be doing maintenance on the push server.

4. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Push notifications on my Yahoo! mail have been spotty at best for the last few weeks. It sometimes works, but most times it waits until I get a few mail messages. Doesn't bother me much as Yahoo! is not my primary mail account. I still hope they get it right.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

Correction, it's been spotty at best ever since iPhone 2G OS 1.0

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

It was working pretty well for me until recently.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

OS 1 for the iPhone did not have Push Notifications nor Push E-Mail systems. So no wonder it's not going to work.

8. sft109 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, I've done some research online and it seems Yahoo's push email is spotty at best so it doesn't seem like its anything on Fido or my Iphone's end.

I have push on, yahoo set to push, I also have fetch at hourly (for my other account). So am I right to assume that when it checks hourly that it only checks the other mail account since Yahoo is on push (even though its not working properly)? So the only way that I can know if I have mail in my Yahoo account is to manually open the mail app then right? Or will it hourly check Yahoo too even though its on push?

Thanks again.