Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
California
i did the upgrade yesterday to my SR MBP.... took some time

but ohhh man worth it!!! firefox boots up in one bounce of the icon!!!

i bought the 200gig Hatachi drive and put my old as a killer external in a $9.99 case i bought

... i tried to clone the drive but it was uber slow..... so i formated and did fresh install... it is probably the best $200 i spent in a while and well worth the time to take out the billion screws and stubburn topcase.. i thought i was going to break it getting the front edge off, but it came off fine, and even fits better than stock now i was able to press it down real good while screweing the screws back in :)

anyways ppl 7200 >>>>>> 5400, way more difference than i thought.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
How long did it take you to do? Also, I assume the cost of the 200gb drive is much less than it would cost to have it preinstalled as an option from Apple?

tardinha

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
i did this a few weeks ago too. well, a 160gb seagate momentus.

the operation took about half an hour, if that. but that's not including the time spent just looking at how good the innards are laid out :)

now my MBP is very noticeably faster! and now i have an extra drive for less cost than apple charge for a single 7200 :)

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
That's really worth the money. But not every1 will be as lucky as you with the fitting. That's the only thing holding some people back.

Thanks for sharing.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
California
whole process took me about 30 minutes (could easily do it a second time faster, but i was scared taking the topcase off in the front, but once i did i realize now there is nothing there to break, just sounds like it breaks when the clips "un-clip"

That's really worth the money. But not every1 will be as lucky as you with the fitting. That's the only thing holding some people back.

Thanks for sharing.

the topcase is aluminum .... i even bent mine a little getting the front unclipped...

all you gotta do it rebend it gently and you can make it fit anyway you need (it is the wonder of soft metal :) )

... although before anyone does this make sure to buy a T-6 Torx screw driver... i didnt have one (smallest i had was a t-10... but it was midnight when i had time to do it and didnt want to wait) ... so i made due with a phillips screwdriver & a gentle touch.... in the manual that is floating arround it says only two screws are torx, but that is for a CD MBP, for the SR C2D MBP, there are those same two plus six holding the Hard Drive in.

The only problem i had at all was geting the middle two clips above the dvd rom drive to clip because of the cut-out to put the discs in the bottom case would bend when i tried to press down to clip them.... i solved this by putting tape on a pair of needle nose pliers (as not to scratch anything) and pinch the topcase and the top part of the slot ever so gently until they snapped together.

... sounds scary but Aluminum is tuff and soft at the same time

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Good 4 U...

i did the upgrade yesterday to my SR MBP.... took some time

but ohhh man worth it!!! firefox boots up in one bounce of the icon!!!

Nice to hear about this... I would like to do the same w/ my 2.4/ 160Gb stock... just waiting to get the gumption.... :eek:

Is there much/ any difference in the "Noise Level" of the New Drive when spinning up to Speed??

Thanks for the info... Bob

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
whole process took me about 30 minutes (could easily do it a second time faster, but i was scared taking the topcase off in the front, but once i did i realize now there is nothing there to break, just sounds like it breaks when the clips "un-clip"...

I did the same upgrade in my 17" MBP 08/31... :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/348699/

I think the 17" is easier because it doesn't have those clips that are in the 15". It took me about 30 minutes too but I was going slowly because I didn't want to strip those tiny little #$@!^! Phillips head screws (or the case if I slipped!). I wish they used Torx on all the screws (or hex) because those are damn near impossible to strip and the screwdriver stays in securely.

While I was doing it I marveled at how talented those Chinese workers are that they can assemble these MBP at production rates and not strip the screws or scratch the cases. Pretty steady hands! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.