Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Love my iPhone X. I can handle the price tag for that, but damn the MBPs are steep. I need to replace my 2012 cMBP too.

They are so pricy. May have to just settle for a new iMac.
I'm in the same boat with the 2012 MbPRo, I upgraded it to SSD and its pretty fast.. 2.7 quad I7
I think if I needed something faster I might try the Old 2010 or 2012 mac Pros..
They have them on eBay..12 core 3.46..for around $1500 worth trying out before paying $3-4 K for something else?
I like my 32" screen so I have to go headless. Happy New Year!

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
I am so happy with all the new great products. Especially the new Mac mini and the all new redesigned iPhone SE for people who want phones and not phablets.

Oh wait, it’s almost 2018? I thought we had 2014....

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Except they forgot two big ones: bugs and security holes.

Hopefully 2018 is a year to squash more bugs, close more security issues prior to release and release a Mac Mini update, Mac Pro update, and MacBook Pro worthy of the name

:)

Reactions: mrzz and sunwukong

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Price , huge thumbs down.

Is that really anything to rate Apple of? We already know they charge a premium for their products, but given the durability and build quality, you get exactly what you pay for. It's almost an expectation knowingly the quality product Apple puts out. I personally would rather pay a higher dollar amount for something I know that will last versus a cheaper product that may not meet the expectations that I would expect for longevity.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Summary: Same stuff rehashed.
Features removed.
Prices increased.
Sales continued.
Logic bypassed.

I agree. It don't make sense. Throttled performance. Less for more. But. If you were Tim and the model still works then would you change anything either? There's you're answer.

If it ain't fixed why break the cash cow!

It's why I am really starting to hate Apple products now. Don't forget that more dongles are now required for everything

but people are sticking with Apple because of the OSs are solid. It's the one thing that Steve left Timmy-O-tool that has yet to be completely hacked to death, and only been incrementally updated and thankfully not been Timmified.

Gregg Thurman

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I see that the nattering nabobs of negativity are out in force today.

Given what Apple accomplished this year I'm not surprised that there were hiccups. Now if any of those hiccups were still around to annoy for more than a week there MIGHT be reason to complain. But there wasn't, so there shouldn't be.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Is that really anything to rate Apple of? We already know they charge a premium for their products, but given the durability and build quality, you get exactly what you pay for. It's almost an expectation knowingly the quality product Apple puts out. I personally would rather pay a higher dollar amount for something I know that will last versus a cheaper product that may not meet the expectations that I would expect for longevity.

Should probably let the courts decide that.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I'm referring to price increases over the established premium.

As an Apple customer for over 20 years, I fully understand the premium. My model Mac Pro entry price was £2500, the iMac pro entry price is £5000, do you think my salary doubled in 4 years? I hope the example better explains my point .

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
I'm referring to price increases over the established premium.

As an Apple customer for over 20 years, I fully understand the premium. My model Mac Pro entry price was £2500, the iMac pro entry price is £5000, do you think my salary doubled in 4 years? I hope the example better explains my point .

The stock value has to double within 4 years, that’s why consumers need to bleed

Reactions: sunwukong and MH01

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
do you think my salary doubled in 4 years? I hope the example better explains my point .

It doesn't, nor is your wages relevant here. Your tangent is separate from mine. The reality is, they do charge a premium for the products and some of them are more expensive than others increasingly so, but it doesn't prohibit the quality of the product the consumer receives knowingly the support behind it. You either can or cannot justify the purchase or find something that meets your expectations at a cheaper price point.

Reactions: Mescagnus

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It doesn't, nor is your wages relevant here. Your tangent is separate from mine. The reality is, they do charge a premium for the products and some of them are more expensive than others increasingly so, but it doesn't prohibit the quality of the product the consumer receives knowingly the support behind it. You either can or cannot justify the purchase or find something that meets your expectations at a cheaper price point.

My 2013 Mac Pro for £2500 was a premium apple product at a premium price. Are you telling me the iMac pro is twice as premium as my Mac Pro was in 2013? Sorry that is rubbish, the 2013 Mac Pro was far more innovative.

You are completely ignoring the price hikes, no one here is arguing they are not premium devices. Though telling people to leave if they don't like it, and it has to be like this, that's your view not shared by many on here, good luck convincing others that the price hikes are fair.....

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
To be fair, no one forced you to buy a X. Those are the reasons I got an 8+ to replace my 6+ which Apple has graciously made slower to the point of unusability.

Well there's no other reason to upgrade a 6+ to an 8+. It takes real courage to cripple your customers' 1-3 year old phones to drum up more sales.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Though telling people to leave if they don't like it, and it has to be like this

Compete hyberbole and you're twisting your own view on mine. To reiterate, my post is listed below. That said, the consumer needs to find a reason to justify the purchase based on what they can afford and what they want from the product, or; there are cheaper alternatives if need be reasons that they find more suitable. Not sure how you derived from my Post "Telling people to leave", that's a false assertion on your behalf, which I clarified twice now.

You either can or cannot justify the purchase or find something that meets your expectations at a cheaper price point.

And-

that's your view not shared by many on here, good luck convincing others that the price hikes are fair.....

Yes, it is my view, and my opinion. Which you're on an opinionated website that entails others beliefs. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm contradicting your own statement contrary to your own beliefs. It doesn't make it right or wrong. Two different things that are not mutually exclusive.

Time to move on, as your More off point from the original Post.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
It takes real courage to cripple your customers' 1-3 year old phones to drum up more sales.

Again this bull? Apple did the right thing, preventing sudden shutdowns at peak CPU usage, which is what is measured by Geekbench but not what average use of the phone stands at.

The worst slowdowns are not due to this, and in fact they're simply cured by initializing the phone and reinstalling from backup. This, since well before iOS 11 introduced the safety measure.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
(1) Thanks to faceID now I have to pick up my phone every time I want to use it.... (2) Wonderful notch that makes me miss my iPhone 7 plus when I I see videos in full screen (3) Slippery phone with 300$ (or more) crystal back. Thanks apple, thanks.

Sounds like an 8 Plus would have been a better buy...

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
Well they destroyed the music functionality of the existing watch user base, and the end of year release in the UK of the TV App has made finding your programmes more difficult - so cheers Apple - wonder what they can screw up next.

Reactions: sunwukong

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Again this bull? Apple did the right thing, preventing sudden shutdowns at peak CPU usage, which is what is measured by Geekbench but not what average use of the phone stands at.

All we know for sure is that Apple is throttling older phones.

What you are describing is Apple's explanation which is is unlikely, but if true, that's even worse. They screwed up and gave everyone defective batteries that can't power the phones even when Apple themselves say the battery is still good (and not eligible to be replaced even for a fee). If that is the case, Apple should be forced to recall all iPhones from the 6, 6s, and 7 generations and replace them with phones with proper batteries.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
(1) Thanks to faceID now I have to pick up my phone every time I want to use it.... (2) Wonderful notch that makes me miss my iPhone 7 plus when I I see videos in full screen (3) Slippery phone with 300$ (or more) crystal back. Thanks apple, thanks.

Free tip: sell the X and switch to Galaxy S8 (or wait for S9). Based on your 3 points, you'd be happier. Or to iPhone 8, if Apple ecosystem is required.

This is genuinely, non-confrontatively coming from someone who is perfectly happy with iPhone X.

Last edited:

Miss_Mac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
The iMac Pro and iPhone X, I agree with.

As far as software, well, I wish all I had to say about that was good things, but it goes beyond a "bad week."

Reactions: Rob_2811

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
The beauty of Apple is that they still cater to both ends of the spectrum: the power user or elitist
My 2013 Mac Pro for £2500 was a premium apple product at a premium price. Are you telling me the iMac pro is twice as premium as my Mac Pro was in 2013? Sorry that is rubbish, the 2013 Mac Pro was far more innovative.

You are completely ignoring the price hikes, no one here is arguing they are not premium devices. Though telling people to leave if they don't like it, and it has to be like this, that's your view not shared by many on here, good luck convincing others that the price hikes are fair.....

2013 Mac Pro? Was that the silver tower "PC-like" version with the mesh screen-metal front? Miss that design....looked like a freaking tank.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
On the hardware side of the house, Apple absolutely nailed it this year. However, the software side of their house needs to be tightened up in a big way.

Reactions: ThatSandWyrm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.