Yellow tint and dead/stuck pixel test for i5 & i7 MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Libertine Lush, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Having read many posts already by owners of the newest MBPs mentioning yellow tint issues on their screen, I'd like to ensure this isn't a widespread issue before I try again with my switch to Apple.

I'm particularly cautious due to my experience just a couple months ago: converting to Apple, but welcomed with 4 defective 27" iMacs in a row. Every single one had the notorious yellow tinted screen (along with other issues: dozens of stuck pixels, excessive backlight bleeding, dust, etc).

For anyone interested, you can use either site (same sites used by the many people still with the iMac issue) below to test your monitor:
    - To test yellow tint. Maximize your browser; the top and bottom bars should be identical: http://tapplox.com/imac-led.html
    - To test yellow tint and dead/stuck pixels. Launches a more thorough test in-browser: http://www.imac.squeaked.com/test.php

Please mention the following in your post once you've test your MBP:
    i5 or i7 and GHz
    15" or 17" monitor
    Monitor resolution
    Glossy or Antiglare

Thank you.

2. floppysock macrumors newbie

MacBook PRo 17" i7
    AntiGlare
    1920 x 1200

Yellow Tinge - Fail

I thought it was just me thinking the bottom of the screen was lighter than the top! Can anyone please confirm that their anti-glare 17" new MBP screen is showing the same pictures on top an bottom in the test? - ie no tinge:)

Looks like I am heading back to the apple store for my 3rd machine today :(

3. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

As the screen technology and the gf
    x card are different between the MBP and the iMac - there is not reason to suspect there to be any 'yellow tinge' on the former.

The MBP use TN screens - I wouldn't be surprised with colour non-uniformity in the vertical plane, this is inherent in TN technology.

4. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I have a new 2010 15" Macbook Pro and it passed the pixel test, as well as the yellow tinge test if that helps. This is the most perfect screen I have seen, its way better then my old Macbook aluminum.

5. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

MacBook Pro 17" i7 AntiGlare 1920 x 1200
    Yellow Tinge - Fail

MacBook Pro 17" i7 AntiGlare 1920 x 1200 (Replacement)
    Yellow Tinge - Fail

Yellow Tinge - Massive fail, Dead pixel - Fail

Yellow Tinge - Slight fail, Stuck pixel - Fail

6. Sandford macrumors member

Does this issue come out only (or mostly) with anti-glare panels?

7. bluetick macrumors member

Is is glossy or anti-glare?

8. hajime macrumors 68030

Just got mine 17" i7 1900x1200 antiglare. Ran the tests. Seems fine to me. Actually, when I looked at it the first time. It looked like the grey color in the bottom half of the screen was slightly lighter. However, when I looked at the screen when I turned my head by 90 degrees, both the top and bottom halfs were even.

However, it seems that there is a black horizontal line running across the screen. The line is just slightly below the menu bar. Is it a shadow (part of the user interface) or is it a problem with the screen?

9. bluetick macrumors member

If you could provide a screenshot...

10. drayon macrumors 6502

OT, why does the iMac come with IPS displays and the 'Pro' laptops get cheapo TN panels?

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think, IIRC, IPS is less forgiving on battery.

12. gcortega macrumors member

13. drayon macrumors 6502

Thanks. Wonder how the iPad manages with the IPS??

14. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I wonder that too.

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think the trade-off for the iPad was a bit easier to swallow since they are marketing it as a consumption machine. IPS has much better viewing angles and the iPad is used more in those kinds of situations, "hey John, check out these new photos!" kind of thing.

16. drayon macrumors 6502

good points, makes sense now, thanks.

17. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

17" matte here.

Some definite yellow tint on the bottom showing using the test bars, but livable for non color sensitive applications, and no stuck or dead pixels in either LCD or iSight.

18. floppysock macrumors newbie

Update :

1st Machine : MBP 17" i7 1920x1200 antiglare - FAIL - Bluetooth issues
    2nd Machine : MBP 17" i7 1920x1200 antiglare - FAIL - Bluetooth issues & yellow tinge
    3rd Machine : MBP 17" i7 1920x1200 antiglare - FAIL - Clicker doesnt work properly!!!!!!!!!!!! - Yellow tinge fine, Bluetooth issue unknown as I didnt get that far to test it....

Back to the shop tomorrow morning for my 4th..... :mad:

19. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I think some of you guys are either extremely unlucky or overly anal retentive. My 17" i7 anti-glare is a tad lighter at the bottom of the screen than the top of the screen. I blame this purely on it being a TN panel. No yellow tint to my eyes either. I will agree dead/stuck pixels do suck and I can honestly say I would be upset if I had any. But luckily I don't! ;)

20. bluetick macrumors member

Good luck to you.

21. acribb macrumors regular

Wow.

These yellow tint issues have me really concerned.

I will receive my first Apple laptop, the 15" i7 with glossy hd screen either tomorrow or Friday.

I paid close to $2700 for it.

I refuse to pay this kind of money for a laptop that has yellow tinge on it. My 19" cheapo HP monitor at work doesn't have yellow tinge on it. This isn't some $300 iPhone!!

I hope I don't have these issues, but from the looks of things, it seems highly likely I will.

Sorry, but for $2700, I expect perfection.

22. Tim Lyons macrumors member

I too am a little concerned, I am ordering from a reseller as I can get a better deal I can get him to check it before it ships out, still hasn't arrived from Apple to him yet.

I quite agree and why shouldn't you?

23. bluetick macrumors member

True. Guys sell premium laptops with such massive issues... Apple, what are you doing?

24. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

In my experience all Apple laptops are slightly lighter and less contrasty at the bottom of the screen. This site is one that seems to show it off. The backgrounds are darker at the top of the screen.

I always wondered why vertical viewing angles are so much narrower than horizontal ones on laptops. For most of the time users are right in front of the screen. Yet there is a difference between the top and bottom.

Yellowing is a different problem altogether. That's unacceptable. What's going on? Must be their LED backlighting as the iMac displays are IPS.

25. Novaoblivion macrumors member

15" i7 2.66ghz High res Glossy screen, both tests look fine on mine.