Yellow tint issue coming back to new MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gcortega, Apr 20, 2010.

1. gcortega macrumors member

So I just received my new 15" i5 Macbook Pro 2.4ghz and I couldn't help but notice that the bottom third of my screen has a yellowish tinge to it. It is especially noticeable while reading a page with a lot of text on it.

I started searching around and found out that this was a big problem with the older version of the macbook pro. I attached an image that allowed me to really see the yellow band. The white boxes on my mbp were completely different, the bottom one looking much yellower and washed out.

Not sure if I should exchange it or not. Already saw someone else in the forum with several new replaced 17"s with the same yellow tinge, some worse than others.

What do you guys think I should do?

Attached Files:

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You should exchange it...
    BTW, can u please upload some photos??

Cheers

3. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I think I'm going to. Here are some pics of me doing the fullscreen test. I took a bunch of pictures to try to capture the yellow tinge in all of its glory.

The iPhone camera wasn't good enough to capture the yellow tinge on a website though.

Attached Files:

4. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

hello, I do not see any yellow on the picture can you point it out...oh yea and if you do have a yellow tinge issue I would DEFINITELY switch it out with another MBP asap. But could you just point it out so I could tell on mine once I do get one thanks in advance

5. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

if you look closely at the two white squares...the top one is white, the bottom one is yellow-ish white in all four pictures. a good screen will have these white squares look the same.

6. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

oh yea, I do notice the difference between the two . What are those squares? did u open up a picture with two white dots r what. But anyways is the angle of the screen vertical (90 degrees)? LOL, I am learning about this and also putting my input hope my advice helps some what

7. NicktheNorse macrumors member

Isn't this just a result of poor-ish vertical viewing angles?

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Seriously, I can't see any~

9. BLAZE905 macrumors newbie

Hi there,dont say the new Macbooks have the yellow tinge thing happening,i have a 09 week 53 21in iMac and i have slight yellow tinge,but was thinking of selling and ordering a MBP. why is your screen so dark,the pics you took dont really show much,think you really need to re take more clear photos, in photo 2 the bottom square is visible but in photo 4 its all most gone,cant see any yellow at all.need a pic like this http://imgur.com/EPnDU.jpg

10. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

11. santos79 macrumors regular

Those are some weird screenshots (where's the bezel?). Anyway it looks gray, not yellow or even yellow-ish. I think you are disappointed because the screen lacks uniformity. That's common. But your screen does not have a yellow tint.

12. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Let us know how your return attempt goes. I get the feeling Apple will be hesitant to return these saying its "just LCD technology".

13. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

I took the pictures at night in my bed. And I took four of them to try to capture it at all angles .I'll try and take some more pictures now. Your right, the screen lacks uniformity...but its not "common" to have a horizontal yellow bar on the bottom third of the screen!

I feel like there are people out there who get uniform screens with no yellowing. I might be being too picky about this but if I'm dropping over $2000 on something, I want it to be at least somewhat uniform.

14. bluetick macrumors member

15. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

No, its the glossy hi-res 15"

I've been reading other users posts and the yellow tint is affecting antiglare and glossy screens

16. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

So I just spoke with an apple care representative and they told me they had heard of the problem before and that I should either return it and get a new one or take it into my local Apple store and send it in for a screen replacement.

17. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

My new 17" definitely has this, if you load the grey bars test it's pretty obvious from any angle, but I'm not using it for photo sensitive stuff, so not that big a deal, and after already returning an iMac 27" with both the flickering and the yellow tinge, I've just concluded that Apple does not use high enough quality screens for photo & video work and given up.

I am not swapping yet another machine, restoring from backup, etc. again - do not use Apple displays for color sensitive work, period. (NOTE: I love the machine otherwise and plan to keep it. I just think Apple's QC has fallen off, and if you need a high end display, buy an HP DreamColor unit or something else, Apple's monitors are for consumers, not pros.)

18. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

Here are some more pictures...taken with an iphone camera. It's more evident in person but you can somewhat tell the screen is not uniform.. Just look closely, the top half is crispy blueish white while the bottom is yellow white.

Attached Files:

19. Groat macrumors member

What size laptop is this?

Edit: Forgot that you mentioned 15" after reading the rest of the posts. Another question: is this hi-res?

20. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

It's the 15" i5 with the high-resolution display, glossy

21. hamzab macrumors 6502

Get it replaced mate, looks bad.

22. gcortega thread starter macrumors member

Yea I think I'm going to. I tried to live with it but it's just not happening.

23. bluetick macrumors member

Well, this obviously sucks big time. And it happens with a $2k laptop, hands down.

24. Tim Lyons macrumors member

Pretty shocking really.

25. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

15" i7 hi-res AG. No issues. No dead pixels, can't see any tint or contrast changes.

I do see the differences that were posted here. That does suck, I agree with others this is an unacceptable defect.