Yellow Tint to the Naked Eye

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ryanpfw, Mar 22, 2012.

1. ryanpfw macrumors member

Curious question - on my third iPad since last Friday. The first screen was uneven with a yellow blotch. The second had significant backlight issues but was a very cool screen. The third seemed a bit brighter in the store but is admittedly a bit warmer. Using it at home, the screen seems very white. I am pleased.

I realized after this entire ordeal that my iPhone screen, which I always considered excellent, is quite a bit more yellow than my wife's screen. It is only noticable when I hold them side by side and once it is on its own it looks great to me. I took a photo last night of her original iPad with my new one alongside both of our iphones, using a digital camera in a dark room looking directly at the devices set to white backgrounds. My iPad has a terrible yellow glow in the picture, whereas the others are shades of white. I took a second picture this morning of the Apple website and the brightness settings page with both iPads and mine was noticeably yellow in the picture. On the settings page the area under the wallpaper setting is whitish blue on my iPad and a darker shade of blue on her original iPad, when viewed the naked eye.

Many of the photos I have seen of the defective yellow iPads over the past few days look about as horrible as the ones I took this morning, and I would get a hundred piss yellow comments if I posted them here. But typing on the iPad right now, I would say the screen is quite white to me. Is it possible many of the pictures are not capturing the true screen appearance, or is the camera seeing what the naked eye is covering up?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Your eye adjusts, many people with the f.lux tweak will attest to this. That's why there's no point comparing screens, if you notice it after using it for 30 mins them yeah there's a problem.

3. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

It is funny because comparing the Main apple website side by side, I would prefer my iPad every time. Looking at the photo, it is one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other where the new iPad is very yellow.

4. VFC, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

Your eyes adjust; but the color is still inaccurate.

It always amazed me when I was in the house in the late-afternoon/evening (back when I had all incandescent light bulbs) and everything looked fine. Then I would go outside and look in the window and the room was yellow!

I didn't realize how the yellow incandescent light bulbs made it harder to read until I got florescent lights. Now I have very few incandescent lights in the house, and in the areas where I read a lot and in my home-office, I switched over to full spectrum florescents. Those lights are towards the white-blue end of the light spectrum. It's one of the reasons why I would not accept a yellow screen iPad.

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Most LCD screens by default have a color temperature that is too blue by default. If you get a screen calibrated to a correct (6500 degrees) temperature for a neutral white, it will look very warm or yellow to you compared to other screens. That is likely what you are seeing on your iPad. My new iPad is similar to this. The new screen is more color accurate than most LCDs by default and will look warmer. The comments on this forum about yellow tinting are way overblown. A neutral white should not be blue tinted.

6. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

Is there way to see what the color temperature of my screen is?

What everyone err is saying is consistent with what I see with my iPhone. It looks great until I compare it to another, and then it is clearly yellow. With my iPad it looks great next to my wife's iPad 1, but then a photo shows it to be incredibly yellow. I was wondering if it was similar to a UV light demonstration - here is what you are not really seeing. I'll compare it to another iPad 3 first chance I get, but I do wonder if half of the pictures of yellow screens being posted here don't remotely show real world appearance. If I saw a post of mie I would hate it.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

This is my new white ipad. I returned a totally perfect wifi model for a VZW 4G, and got this. I did a thorough in store inspection before I walked out with the replacement and I was happy. As soon as I got home and took it out of the box I new immediately that is was tinted yellow. I didn't have to compare it to anything. I new it was way off. Not just "warm", but yellowish-tan. I've been running slideshows on it to try and "cure" the screen hoping that each day it would get a little less noticible. But so far it hasn't changed a bit (got it last Sunday). Everything else is perfect. absolutely no light bleeding, it runs totally cool even after running slideshows for 2 hrs. straight, etc. But the screen is the most important aspect to me. I want my screen to be perfect. I am not OCD and I don't look for problems. But this one popped out to me from the second I got it home. Why I didn't notice it in the store is beyond me. If it's not showing signs of improvment by Saturday morning, back to Apple we go.

Attached Files:

8. jrboddie macrumors newbie

ZOMG! Even your bezel is tan. Take it back.

Seriously, your new iPad looks better than the old one which is too blue.

9. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

I compared my first iPad on Friday to the store displays on the brightness setting screen and thought mine was too dim. The area beneath the wallpaper option looked whiter on the floor models and almost grayish on mine. My second iPad matched the floor models perfectly. My third, in comparing to a friend's iPad 2, seems whiter and brighter in that area as opposed to his, which is more blu and it compares well to the photos you posted.

Do the photos do yours justice?

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Assuming your camera is not correcting for white balance, the one on the right (doing a quick straw poll around the amateur photographers in my office) looks more natural than the one on the left, which is very cool. I get the same effect between my iPad and iPhone 4S.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

You loose credibility when you dont get the model right. What is this: "wifi model for a VZW 4G"

Its yellow, its not perfect; Return it. Did we really need another thread?

12. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

I'm questioning whether the photos are exaggerating the yellow. Mine certainly did and if I posted it would be labeled piss yellow in a heartbeat. Other posters when questioned are also saying their iPad does not look as bad as the pics suggest to some degree.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Well that makes me feel a little better. I hate that I am even in this position. I don't like doing side by side comparisons, brigness test, etc. I like to just enjoy the device. But like I said, this screen looked off to me as soon as I took it out of the box, with nothing to compare it to. It caught my eye and I wasn't even looking for it. Maybe all of my other devices were on the extreme cool side, and having a correct, more natural looking screen is throwing me off. I dont know if it's just me, but when i start really looking at it, it looks as if the yellowish tint in blotchy. Meaning that some areas are worse then others. But it could just be my eyes. I don't know!

I just wish Apple would include screen adjustments in the OS. I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't. My problem (or lack thereof) would be solved.

Maybe if bunch of you guys want to travel to Philly area this weekend with ur new iPads, we can all meet up, have coffee and compare screens. Maybe it's the geek in me, but that actually sounds like it would be really fun!

14. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

If you ask me, there are screens that are clearly yellow and need to be replaced, and perfectly acceptable screens that look more yellow to the camera than you would ever notice in actual use, and are labeled piss yellow here when they don't look it. If you are noticing issues with your naked eye, get it replaced. :)

15. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

If it's blotchy, that's different. But be aware that when you stare at a white backlit screen, you'll start to get a bit or retina "burn-in," similar to what you see if you look at the sun or a light bulb, which can distort how you see colour.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

What do YOU mean? I think you are the one with no credibility. I returned my wifi ipad for a VZW 4G/LTE model. What is confusing about that? Makes perfect sense to me.

Oh, and btw, it's "lose credibility" not "loose credibility".

17. TroyBoy30, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

the one on the right looks great. the one of the left is the inaccurate one

18. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You lost me with "the one of the left", the double space after the period, and the non-captilization of the word "the" in both sentences. :p

When you are pointing out a spelling mistake, at least make sure that you spell everything correct. :rolleyes:

I hope so. All of my past iPads must have had cooler screens because I knew this one looked different right out of the box with nothing to compare it to. It is without doubt more yellow then I am used to. And not as bright as it should be. With my ipad2, and also the first wifi iPad3 I couldn't look at the screen for very long at full brightness. This one however, is no where near as bright and white areas do not look white. It's more of an off-white-ish. And it looks to be not totally uniform across the entire screen. Some areas seem worse then others. What bothers me most is that I thought after a few days I wouldn't even notice it, but I still do. So I am going to take it to an Apple store to compare it to the floor models and make a decision. I'd hate to replace it since I am totally happy otherwise.

19. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

You are retarded... Your new iPads screen looks MUCH better...

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Geeze...Nice choice of words. I can tell when an area that is supposed to look white, looks tan-ish. And the brightness..That pic is at 100% brighness and even in person, it's not really bright at 100%. And I'm not OCD about this kind of thing at all. It looks a lot different to ME. I am not saying it's defective. It just seems a bit off to ME. I've had every iPad, every iPhone, since they came out and i've NEVER returned anything or complained about a screen, light bleed, or whatever. I am not looking for an issue that doesn't exist. But like I said, if I pull up a white screen, and it looks off-whitish or tan, it's not correct. And NO, I am not expecting it to be as white as the bezel. I just my eye to see it as white.

21. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Dude your iPad 3 looks great. Seriously. Since your dont have the tools to measure color balance etc....

Look up some pictures of people (good hi res pictures). Or movies. Look at the skin tones. Which iPad represents accurate skin tones? I will put money on the iPad3.

Oh and the "brightness" complaint. The new iPad is plenty freaking bright. I measured mine at 108ftL. For comparison, depending on room conditions LCD/led tv's are generally calibrated between 35-55 ftL.

----------

I get where you are coming from, you are the consumer. But the white you are looking for is actually blue/white.

Very little items in a house hold are true white ( I actually can't think of any). Paper isn't, paint isn't, etc....

If you are up for it. Maybe on your way to return your iPad, stop at a photo supply store and see if they have a 100% white grayscale card. And compare that to the screen. But you have to make sure you have a 100% white grayscale white displayed on your screen. I can post one later if you like?

22. jtcouch macrumors member

I think the new iPad looks great in that photo. It doesn't look yellow to me. The iPad 2 is definitely brighter though. Those pics looks just like my iPad 2 compared to my new one.

23. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

My first iPad 3 had to say at 100% brightness to be comfortably seen, and a buddy of mine got a non yellow one that is dimmer. Holding it up to the second one in the Apple store had even the genius admitting that it was night and day. I suspect you will find that a replacement would be brighter. I now keep mine at 50% at home.

24. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Jesus people the iPad on the right looks way better and more natural than that blueish iPad on the left.

Seriously, I'd freak out if I cannot even generate a white page because it is tinted so blueish. Why some people seem to prefer it is beyond me.

I have a blueish iPhone 4, my girlfriend a nicely calibrated 4S (some would probably call it "yellow"). The 4S just displays superior colors, watching movies is a blast, pictures look way more awesome, and white webpages with text look actually white. Last week I posted a simple test whereby you take a sheet of white paper or a white t-shirt and put it next to the screen. Her 4S looks just like the shirt, my blueish iPhone 4 looks horrible, as if it has some sort of sickness.

To me, blueish screens are a defect. If my 4 wasn't that old already, I'd take it in for a swap immediately.

25. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Hey, thanks for the post...And thanks for sharing all the testing you did. Yes, if you could message me what I should display on my screen, I will make an effort to get the card from a photo supply store. I am just totally curious now more then anything. Obviously my iPad looks much different then the Black iPad2 that is next to it. But that is what I am totally used to. All of my previous iPads, and those of my family have all had this look. So when I looked at the new one, I immediately knew something was different. I am hoping that it actually is a better calibrated display and everything else I've had was way off. The brightness however seems less bright when compared to the other iPad, and it looks less bright then the iPad3 wifi model I pre-ordered. The brightness level is not really a concern of mine since I don't use it at 100%, and it really is plenty bright. But when I saw the screen looked much different, and then I saw it wasn't as bright, I thought maybe something was wrong. I would love to know what mine actually measures compared to yours. You say your display is spot-on, but I've seen a million different pictures of displays that look totally different. So obviously there is going to be a lot of fluctuation in the measurements you posted. And believe me, I am SO not one of those people who stress and worry over stuff like this, because I am totally not. Now I am just more curious how well my screen is calibrated. And if it is really good as-is, I know I will appreciate it once I really start to use it. it was just the inital stark difference that I noticed that got me asking questions. Can I bring my iPad over and have you test it for me?:)