Yellow tinted 5s screen. Exchange or does it improve with time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I want a screen where whites look white but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of playing the iPhone lottery and fighting the Apple geniuses. Thoughts?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Mine looks perfect. I think you just got a defective one. Bring it back and test the replacement in the store..if its also bad (seriously doubtful) get another. Apple is really good about making sure you leave happy.

3. daneoni, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you're coming from a 4S or earlier then its normal. You've just been warped by the fact that the 4S was ridiculously cold and calibrated towards the blue-end of the spectrum, hence why the 5 looks different to you. If you're coming from a 5 then exchange it.

Generally iPhone 5 and above screens are factory calibrated so chances are what you're looking at is what you're meant to be looking at.

4. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Mine looks great
    Make an appointment and get it checked while you are under the 14 day return or exchange

5. Allard, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

Allard macrumors member

I read in another thread that a yellow screen is an indicator of a freshly manufactured iPhone. The yellow supposedly comes from the recently applied glue, and fades away over time. Not sure if that explanation applies to tints, but it certainly applies towards the spots of yellow that other users have experienced with past new iPhones.

6. richard371 macrumors 68000

Give it a week to let the glue dry and see. Mines is slightly warmer then my 5 but seems sharper and I think it looks better.

7. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The real answer to this question is this:

iPhones have a couple different display manufacturers.

Depending on the manufacturer, your screen may be cool or warm.

My original 4S was super warm and yellow looking, when I had my 4S swapped last fall, my new one was completely different, cool and blue.

If you swap your phone out, it could be warm again, or you could get a cool screen. Luck of the draw. Some people prefer warm, some prefer cool.

8. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

The glue only relates to isolated patches of yellow. The tint I'm experiencing is entirely uniform and even. Some people have said that maximizing the brightness, along with waiting a few days, will help reduce the yellow discoloration, but I don't understand how this is possible.

----------

I'm coming from the 5. I know my 5 definitely had this issue at one point but I can't remember if either over time or swapping it out for another that the yellow ceased to be a problem. I do remember though that when comparing my 5 to the 5s, the 5s had the dingier, duller, yellower tint.

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

5s is slightly warmer than the 5. Unless it's piss yellow, give it a week or 10 days before exchanging... My 5 was warmer than my 4S and the yellow tapered off in a few days on the 5.

Without looking at a pic, I'd say, wait.

10. Exio macrumors regular

Here I am struggling to even find a 5s, and people are already wanting to exchange theirs. I really need to stop visiting this forum so much:mad:

11. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Lol, to be fair I woke up at 6:00 AM, waited in line, and spent 3 hours at my Verizon store. But I love how all Apple stores carry backup replacements even while being sold out. So nice to be able to exchange even when stores are "sold out."

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Others have mentioned it but I'll chime in and say my 5 was "warm" (not splotched) and it eventually became the same color as the wifey's. It took longer than a week, more like a month or so.

13. gCloud macrumors 6502a

14. hughiee macrumors member

My Space Gray 5s that I have for 3 weeks has the yellow tint as well. It is warmer and seems more vivid but it is noticeably more yellow than the iPhone 5 and 5c.

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

It will not not not not not go away

It is not not not not not glue

It's a different panel type from a different, in my opinion inferior, manufacturer.

To all those trying to say it's supposed to be that way or is more accurate, ill say this:

Not a single phone on display in any apple store worldwide has one of these warm panels. If it's not good enough for the store display, it ain't good enough for me OR YOU. End of story.

Take. It. Back.

16. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Warm is not the same as yellow. Just FYI. Most people who complain about yellow screens are just not used to warmer screens.

17. mcdj, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

1. Apple hasn't used glue to bond the glass in the past several phones. If your screen is discolored, it is not because of glue.

2. Don't listen to anyone who says "my screen is perfect." People from foreign countries never hear their own accents. One man's "perfect" is another man's "too warm", and another man's "too cool".

Go to an Apple store and compare YOUR phone to what's on display. Is yours vastly different than all the screens on display? Then you may have a defective screen. If it looks like some but not others, welcome to the panel lottery. You can try to exchange your phone for another with a different screen, but there's no telling whether it will be better, worse, or the same, until you open the box. Apple is only going to let you do that so many times.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Did you compare it to others 5s to say that or is just an opinion ?

----------

That was for isolated patches of yellow. The OP seems to refer at a generally warm calibrated screen.

19. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replys i didnt think its something that will go away, shame cause i am getting 10+ hours batter usage from this unit, no screen interlacing or bleed but gyro still out though. buying apple stuff is becoming such a pain, if it aint this lottery its that, for $1200 too. I had every iphone since the 3G, maybe its time to move on to somethng for half the price and has an accessible file system.

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Displays really do differ.

I originally got a space gray 5S, after a week and a half I hated how it was a fingerprint magnet so I went back to white (my 4S was white) and my white 5S has a much cooler screen. There is no telling.

21. Radeon85 macrumors regular

I ended up going through 5 iPhone 5s due to either half or quarter yellow screens or light bleeding through on the top that looked like 5 little spotlights due to the LED's.

I have had every phone since the 3GS and this is the first time I have had to do a redicolous amount of replacements :mad:

First phone was 100% pure white, apart from a major backlight leak due to the LED's showing through on top of the LCD even is bright sunlight.

Second, no spotlight issue, but half the screen was dirty yellow, other half was pure white, same issue for the 3rd. But only top quarter was yellow.

4th, spotlight bleed once again but lovely screen otherwise.

5th flawless, no spotlight issue and a lovely white uniform screen. Finally.

Terrible LCD quality control, other than the LCD issues each phone had no dead pixels or or any other hardware issues.

This is not my photo, but this shows an example of the spotlight bleed.

[​IMG]

22. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Went to apple store and compared my yellow tinted unit with every display 5s in the store on full brightness, none had the yellow tint. I have been using it for a few days now and the colours actually look on my unit with games and videos, it just bothers me when on white background like web pages, mail etc.
    Is the yellow tint considered a defect or a feature? If some phones are supposed to have the "warmer" tint why are they a minority? And why are all apple store ones white/blue?

23. Merkie macrumors 68020

Yellow hues do NOT go away. Why do people think that? Do blue hues fade? Green ones? Does green grass fade? No. Colors generally do not "go away".

24. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I would live to have a f.lux option for the iPhone. It makes the screen warm so nighttime use isn't as bad.

But the screen needs to be I. The middle of the spectrum so photo editing turns out correct.

25. lawlbringer macrumors regular

I just noticed my screen was yellower/dingy compared to a clearer/brighter white screen on my previous iPhone 5 I still have. I have also been having more eye strain than usual with this unit compared to the aforementioned iPhone 5.

My unit is under 30 days of the return period, but I bought it 2nd hand from someone who gave me the receipt. I want a different one, what should I do?