Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

yelpapplewatch.png
Apple Maps partner Yelp has today announced an update to its iOS app that will bring the service to Apple Watch. The announcement comes in the midst of more and more companies announcing their Apple Watch apps as the April 24 launch races forward.
The Yelp app for Apple Watch serves up nearby restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and new businesses along with their star rating, review count, business category, price range, distance from your exact position, and hours of operation. We've stylishly packed in millions of local reviews with petite precision so you have vast insider knowledge right at your fingertips. Now that's what we call a micro machine!
The app allows users to search for places of interest in addition to receiving recommendations nearby businesses and restaurants. It also comes with Handoff support, allowing users to jump from the Apple Watch to their iPhone to make a phone call, write a review, add photos or video, or check in for potential rewards. The Apple Watch app is live today.

Yelp can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yelp Releases Apple Watch App With Nearby Location Listings, Reviews

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
Trip advisor also have an Apple watch app. I see trip advisor as superior to yelp as well..

jjm3

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
I love Yelp! It's actually one of the apps I've imagined using on my future watch as I've been waiting and dreaming... I wish we could check into places via the watch! Maybe in a future software update...

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Still don't see the point. My phone is in my and has a much larger screen and is much more powerful. Why would I use the watch?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Still don't see the point. My phone is in my and has a much larger screen and is much more powerful. Why would I use the watch?

In the case of an app like this one, I have to agree. The best apps are "at a glance" style apps or ones that are voice activated to respond with simple data. App developers will figure this out just after everyone else does.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Yelp annoys me even though I use it regularly. I add locations in my town all the time and edit incorrect information but there's always issues with both things I do.

The new locations NEVER show up next time you are in close proximity, you have to do a search and then it'll show up so you can check in and my edits of incorrect location information never gets updated

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
Isn't Yelp the dodgy one that demands payment to remove negative reviews etc? Trip advisor is more commonly used as real reviews.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
This will be great when I travel for work. I'm always looking for a restaurant close to my hotel.

So you have checked into your hotel room. You want something to eat. You have your phone in your suit pocket, your watch on your wrist and your tablet in your carry on.

Which do you use? Which do you use?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
So you have checked into your hotel room. You want something to eat. You have your phone in your suit pocket, your watch on your wrist and your tablet in your carry on.

" Phone in pocket. I like reading the reviews over trusting stars."

-fuddy duddy

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Just accept you don't get it.

I don't get it either. The phone just seems much more convenient and practical to pull out and use. But, then again, I don't plan on using my apple watch as anything more than an apple pay device and glorified fitness tracker, so what do I know?

hmbtnguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
San Diego, CA
As much as I love yelp, this seems just as useless as their pebble app.

As others have already mentioned, why would anyone search yelp on their watch when they can whip out their phone?

If they wanted this to be truly useful, they would make it a dedicated app for "checking-in". Apple watch apps should be designed around doing things quickly and efficiently. Reading reviews and finding places to eat on a watch is none of those things.

The ability to simply check-in would be much more useful, ala the swarm app for pebble.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA

A) I'm a woman. I haven't worn ANY kind of suit in a thousand years. One of the many reasons I'm a freelancer. My phone is usually in my zippered purse and that's not as convenient as in a pocket, especially while on the street.

B) Don't own a tablet but I routinely carry two MacBookPros but they stay in my Pelican case while I'm in my room, unless I have some work to do. That also means those laptops are a checked item and not available to me on the plane.

C) If I'm in my room planning where to eat, I would use my iPhone to search for a restaurant since I like to read the menu first and would transfer the directions to my watch

D) If I get there and don't like how the restaurant looks or they are closed or too busy, I would use the watch first to easily see what's nearby before I dig my iPhone out of my purse on the street.

I've used TripAdvisor to check out hotels and some attractions but never for restaurants. Never think of them for that.

Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
A) I'm a woman. I haven't worn ANY kind of suit in a thousand years. One of the many reasons I'm a freelancer. My phone is usually in my zippered purse and that's not as convenient as in a pocket, especially while on the street.

B) Don't own a tablet but I routinely carry two MacBookPros but they stay in my Pelican case while I'm in my room, unless I have some work to do. That also means those laptops are a checked item and not available to me on the plane.

C) If I'm in my room planning where to eat, I would use my iPhone to search for a restaurant since I like to read the menu first and would transfer the directions to my watch

D) If I get there and don't like how the restaurant looks or they are closed or too busy, I would use the watch first to easily see what's nearby before I dig my iPhone out of my purse on the street.

I've used TripAdvisor to check out hotels and some attractions but never for restaurants. Never think of them for that.

Those are some great examples. I am looking forward to putting my phone somewhere that is less accessible than my pocket, or at least not worrying about it when I do. My iPhone 6 Plus just isn't the easiest thing to put in a small-ish pocket or to use while walking down the street/ on public transit. I love the 6+ size since I don't own a tablet, so I don't have a desire to go smaller. And now with the watch, my phone size is not a problem anymore. Saves me from desiring a tablet (though nothing wrong with those owning all 3!)

I am hopeful that the watch gives me the type of freedom you gave examples of. I'm sure it will - I've already consciously thought of situations throughout my day where the watch would already be nice to have.

As my ship date gets closer and closer, I can barely hear the haters over my excitement. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.