Yelp vs Google

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So there has been a LOT of talk about how Apple is getting rid of the visual google maps (and street view) and replacing it with their own maps... But I feel like the much bigger switch (in my eyes) isn't really being discussed too much. All the businesses/points of interest that google provides are being replaced by yelp.

First, let me make sure I understand this correctly. Google businesses are completely being replaced by yelp, correct? And Apple maps is completely powered by all of yelp's data with no supplimental data from other sources? Those are my assumptions, so if I'm wrong, please let me know and then this thread may be moot.

Now, I have never really used yelp, because I personally can't stand the app. In anticipation of the switch I decided to check out the database. I have always associated yelp more with restaurants, so I'm sure that category is very full. But when I tried looking up a few things like specific churches or gas stations yelp seemed to fall quite short... it couldn't even find the shell gas station next to my apartment.

If my assumption above is correct, I think this will be a HUGE shortcoming and step back in the mapping space. Does anybody else have any experiences comparing yelps to google's database? Anybody have any hard numbers comparing them?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apple seems to have bought and partnered with about 5 or 6 different companies.

The situation is many fold and complex.

Maybe Yelp has mostly service industry... great and Apple Maps pulls from that when available, but the other databases they have access to should have all the other businesses and instituions, the info pane when selected may just be sparse. Essentially pulls yelp data when available.

But why is all that data not there yet? I understand buggy, or slow, but database implementation like that 3 months out should already be well implemented and in the debugging state. It's as if they are still hashing out those database systems... which is worrying.

Another possibility, it may be a LONG time coming. Apple is often all or nothing on features. If those POI's with Yelp data don't exist, Apple may be fine ignoring them preferring fully fleshed out Yelp POI's rather than a mix of full Yelp POI and TomTom/etc partial POIs.

3. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Add the Gas Station yourself !!! Yelp is awesome at allowing Businesses to be added within minutes. Where I live none of the shops were listed so I took 5 minutes of my time and added them. Now Yelp users see them when they do a search.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's been a very long time since I heard of anyone using Yelp for... well, anything.

5. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Apples done a fantastic turn then :)

6. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Since I have devices with both OSs I was about to write up a comparison showing how poor iOS maps is. I used the search term 'gas' and only found 3 in the entire city of Winston-Salem North Carolina, none of which were gas stations, while Google maps found 7 real gas stations.

Apparently, with iOS 6 you need to be more specific with your search term. You have to use 'gas station'. When this is done, iOS 6 provides good results. This highlights one strength of Google. Their search often knows with high accuracy what you are searching for without having to type in very much. Apple will need to work on this.

7. mds macrumors 6502

Maybe its not popular in the UK? We use it all the time in the US. Mostly for restaurant reviews.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I love all the details that you get in Maps now.

Attached Files:

9. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Apples maps seem to become more and more disappointing.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Did you search in Yelp or Maps? There's a ton of locations that are available on Yelp but won't show up if you search in Maps. I don't think Apple is using the full Yelp database for Maps for the beta.

11. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I searched in yelp.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The last person I heard of using Yelp for anything was my Dad, who's the worlds most old fashioned man and still returns hand written business accounts for his tax return.

Even he dropped it four years ago.

13. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Well that's all going to change now. ;)

14. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

uhh... I have a feeling that's a bit of an exaggeration, because yelp didn't even become popular until the iPhone app, and the app store didn't even exist 4 years ago (but almost!). I will agree that Yelp probably peaked a couple years ago, but it still has one of the best database's around even if not many people are still active.

and...
    exactly. The database seems to be decent (at least in the US), and now that every single iOS user will have this comment/rating/check-in system as the default... it will be used. Heck, I might even start reviewing places (something I have NEVER done) if iOS provides a really easy, seamless and inviting way to do so.

15. RTWG macrumors regular

RTWG

I agree.

Now that Yelp will be on iOS, I've actually created an account and started adding the businesses that I represent on it (I develop websites for local companies).

I'd never used Yelp before, but now it's going to be on millions of iOS devices, it's crazy to ignore it.

16. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

This is really the key point....not that Twitter needed Apple to build (or maintain) a base of users, but don't you think the integration helped boost tweets?

I was a pretty regular Yelp user for the first couple of years it was out and dropped off a little, but still use it every time I travel. The fact that it will be an integral component in the Map function and on the phone will draw me right back in.

17. naltst* macrumors member

Exactly - Apparently I joined yelp in 2009 and have just added my first review for a friend. It's gonna go big so you might as well make sure you're onboard at the start

18. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Many of my friends and I use Yelp on a daily basis. It's a great community for finding user-generated reviews. Sure there are some problem with spam reviews, but that's what you'll find with almost any website.

19. mds macrumors 6502

I didn't realize it was soooo uncool to use yelp. I use it a lot and a lot of my friends us it a lot. I live in LA and there's a bazillion great restaurants and Yelp is awesome for finding good places to eat around town. I use Urban Spoon too, but Yelp often has more reviews/content. I also tour around the world 3 months of the year and Yelp has been great finding decent food around the US. Wish there was something comparable in Europe.

20. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Is the yelp content abroad not very good?

21. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I know Yelp is constantly branching out to different countries, but I was under the impression that it was decent in Europe, and has had a presence in most EU countries for awhile.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Actually, you were right. I was getting Yelp and Yell mixed up.

In which case I've never even heard of anyone using Yelp. Ever.

Phazer

23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

So do you have a problem with Yelp or have you really never heard of anyone using it? I don't use it much, but I have. It's quite useful for finding new places when traveling. I say it's a solid integration.

24. mds macrumors 6502

Hmm...I'll have to give it another try.

----------

Really? Because multiple people in this thread have used it.

25. naltst* macrumors member

I don't think yelp is as popular in the UK. It was on my phone for a while (just for the temporarily hidden monocle feature) but I never used it for anything really functional...