Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauriceMoss

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.
I am an avid mac user, but I have some questions that I hope people with more experience can help with. I currently have a 24" iMac, I have had several iMacs/iBooks before... This is mainly background. Not important.

I am going back to school and I need to have a MBP. The model you need is up to you, but it needs to be able to run CS5 design premium, Final Cut Express, and the iWork stuff. 13" is automatically out.

This is a question of choice between the 15" i7 and 17" i7. Both would get upgraded ram (8Gigs) and both would have the Hi-Res matte screen. The only difference in the specs are the size. (as far as I know.) I want the i7 for sure, so that I get the "better" video card.

I have gone to the apple store and compared both the size and weight and while I don't find the difference in weight to be that big of a hindrance, it's the difference in length (or width, depending on how you look at it.) thats cause for concern.

Am I going to find cases, backpacks, bags etc. that fit the 17"?
The apple stores in my area don't carry ANY that fit it. I have seen some around online, but... 199.99 for a crumpler bag seems steep... and I don't even like their photo stuff. I am more of a "try before you buy" kinda guy.
And apparently I like to rhyme...

This thing is going to go with me to school Monday-Thursday. (sometimes weekends too.) Once in a while its going to be in a car with a short walk to the school; sometimes its going to be on my back/seat on a train with a short walk to the school. I am never really going to have to carry it more than three blocks in my bag, and again, the weight isn't the issue... its more of the size.

I have read all the "Oh, man this thing is too big" threads, and have come to the conclusion that for some its unwieldily and for some it's just fine. The difference in price is only about 200 bucks, and when you are spending around 2600-3000, whats another 200 to gain some extra screen right?

It basically comes down to is the extra screen real-estate worth the extra bump in the dimensions... I'm leaning towards yes, but all my comparisons have been made in the apple store in a matter of a couple of minuets with machines that aren't even on the same table.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

MauriceMoss

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Not to discount what you said, but I meant school as in basically a University/Art School. The "desks" are more like tables. Space on them isn't an issue. The classes are 6-12 in size and there is plenty of space. There are plenty of power strips/adaptors, so power wont be an issue if I need it either.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
17" is too big especially for school it would barely fit on the desk. And you're right, it's hard to find bags that carry a 17".

yup the other day I had my 17" in a wheelbarrow (the crane is in the shop) and they wouldnt let me into the schools library because It was making everyone else uncomfortable w/ its heavy breathing :rolleyes:

op, you can find a bag/cases everything easily just might have to go online. the Apple store just doesn't carry those items (i asked several).

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.
I am an avid mac user, but I have some questions that I hope people with more experience can help with. I currently have a 24" iMac, I have had several iMacs/iBooks before... This is mainly background. Not important.

I am going back to school and I need to have a MBP. The model you need is up to you, but it needs to be able to run CS5 design premium, Final Cut Express, and the iWork stuff. 13" is automatically out.

This is a question of choice between the 15" i7 and 17" i7. Both would get upgraded ram (8Gigs) and both would have the Hi-Res matte screen. The only difference in the specs are the size. (as far as I know.) I want the i7 for sure, so that I get the "better" video card.

I have gone to the apple store and compared both the size and weight and while I don't find the difference in weight to be that big of a hindrance, it's the difference in length (or width, depending on how you look at it.) thats cause for concern.

Am I going to find cases, backpacks, bags etc. that fit the 17"?
The apple stores in my area don't carry ANY that fit it. I have seen some around online, but... 199.99 for a crumpler bag seems steep... and I don't even like their photo stuff. I am more of a "try before you buy" kinda guy.
And apparently I like to rhyme...

This thing is going to go with me to school Monday-Thursday. (sometimes weekends too.) Once in a while its going to be in a car with a short walk to the school; sometimes its going to be on my back/seat on a train with a short walk to the school. I am never really going to have to carry it more than three blocks in my bag, and again, the weight isn't the issue... its more of the size.

I have read all the "Oh, man this thing is too big" threads, and have come to the conclusion that for some its unwieldily and for some it's just fine. The difference in price is only about 200 bucks, and when you are spending around 2600-3000, whats another 200 to gain some extra screen right?

It basically comes down to is the extra screen real-estate worth the extra bump in the dimensions... I'm leaning towards yes, but all my comparisons have been made in the apple store in a matter of a couple of minuets with machines that aren't even on the same table.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

The 13" can run CS5, FCE, and iWork easily. :rolleyes:

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
17" is too big especially for school it would barely fit on the desk. And you're right, it's hard to find bags that carry a 17".

This is completely wrong and should be immediately discounted.

I am a university student, just like you and I have used a17" notebook since first year (going into my fourth now). The 17" is only 1 pound heavier and 1 inch bigger in every direction when compared to the 15". It's not that big at all. Unless your balancing your 15" on the edge of the desk, your 17 is going to fit just fine.

I got my bag at Best Buy, so if they have it, most places will have one available. I have both a traditional carry bag, and a knapsack. I use the knapsack exclusively, as I love being able to dump my books and notebook in and take off into the sunset. I'm not sure what's going on with the Apple store in your area, but mine has a whole bunch of hardcases and backpacks that are made for the 17" -like the ones you find on their websites!

Once you get that back, you don't even notice you're notebook is bigger. Especially the Apple 17", as it's much smaller than most 17" notebooks from other vendors. I use my notebook in lecture theatre seats, and tables (like you describe) and it's never been too big. Even in Starbucks or in the car it slides around just fine. It IS bigger, and you WILL notice it if you're looking for the differences, but the tradeoffs are worth it to me.

It gets the same battery life as a 15", so that point is moot. It has a much larger screen, and the speakers are significantly better on the 17" than the 15". I'm not even a big guy, I'm just your average dweeb, so it isn't a matter of strength.

Not to mention that if you get into a gun fight and all you have is your MBP to defend yourself with, it will be way easier to deflect bullets with the larger 17" notebook. Just saying.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Don't buy a bag from Apple, their prices are too high. Also, don't buy RAM from Apple, do it yourself, and sell the RAM that comes in the MBP.

If you need a good bag, try this or this.

MauriceMoss

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Don't buy a bag from Apple, their prices are too high. Also, don't buy RAM from Apple, do it yourself, and sell the RAM that comes in the MBP.

Agree on the bag prices, but with the student discount on the RAM, it seems like it might just be easier to get it done there... Also does apple care cover 3rd party RAM? Im not very handy with computer installs. I have actually never done anything of the sort.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Agree on the bag prices, but with the student discount on the RAM, it seems like it might just be easier to get it done there... Also does apple care cover 3rd party RAM? Im not very handy with computer installs. I have actually never done anything of the sort.

If the student discount is good enough, and you're worried about doing the upgrade yourself, then go ahead and let Apple do it. It may be more expensive, but at least it saves some hassle.

MauriceMoss

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
It comes out to be about 100 more for the apple installed ram over the OWC or even less for crucial I think.. But thats not taking into account the fact I could sell the other DIMMs....

I guess there are more bag/case manufacturers out there than I thought there were...

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Installing RAM in a MBP really isn't difficult at all, but it comes down to whether or not you want to spend some extra cash and have it done for you or save the money and do it yourself.

As for the bag, your best bet would be an online source. I have a standard laptop backpack and my 17" uMBP fits in it perfectly, and it's designed for a 15" Windows laptop.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I have spent a lot of time with the 17inch and I don't find it big at all. Its still lightweight and feels great on your lap. Go for it!

CTrav86

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm in almost the same situation. I'm debating between the exact same MBP's (except with 7200 rpm HDD) and it's extremely difficult to decide.

I have the feeling that I'm going to go for the 17. The bigger and higher res screen, the greater number/better sounding speakers, the 3rd USB, the expresscard (even though I've never used EC before) are all sounding pretty good for the $200 difference.

But, coming from a 6 year old 15" PBG4, the 15 feels more natural to me. The 17 feels.. well, big compared to the 15, even though it is not that much bigger.

As for bags, I've heard great things about Tom Bihn products (the Brain Bag and the Brain Cell apparently will fit the 17). But, they're pricey, as well. Could always go with the more generic route with a North Face/Targus/SwissGear, etc. bag and the Incase sleeve (which is quite nice).

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I went from a 17" PowerBook G4 to my new 15" MBP HR AG i7, 8GB RAM, SSD.

The HR option for the 15" is a must. Do not miss the 17" at all. I spent 2 weeks deciding if I should get the 17" or the 15". 15" really just is the perfect size, for me anyway.

I use my MBP for heavy photo editing, blogging, word processing and video editing/uploading.

Physically the 15" just feel more natural in my lap. Only thing I am still getting used to is the position of the trackpad. You might want to take that into account when buying. 17" position of trackpad was more natural for me.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Since you'll be using CS5 alot (I presume) the extra real estate with the 17" would be far greater especially if you get the hi res screen. As far as backpacks go, I previously had a 17" HP which was a beast to lug around. Since it was so wide and the dimensions on that thing were so unwieldy, finding a bag that holds a 17" laptop was a chore.

What I did find though is that when most backpacks say they'll hold a 17" laptop, they're usually referring to the specs of a MBP 17" and not a normal Dell/HP/whatever else laptop. Nearly all the 17" bags I tested did not fit my HP 17" but DID fit my coworkers 17" MBP. If the bag is the big thing for you, you might wanna check out eBags and you can search for bags that specifically fit your laptop. There's quite a few in there but not sure what your preference is. I ultimately went with a Hurley backpack since it was the only one that could fit my 17". You shouldn't have any issues finding a decent bag that will fit your 17" MBP.

JCCash

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
I think you got your answer already and you just needed reassurance. Imsay buy it and if you don't like it then return it...or just trade it to someone with a 15 i7 matte. :)

I call the 15" "Baby Bear", 'cause it's just right. :)

Proph3T

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
i have the 17" i7 and love it. The backpack I use for school is just a standard da kine that i have used for years. I bought the incase laptop sleeve and it works perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.