Yep, jailbreaking has truly died...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Dale Sorel, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Huh... well, there are 23 posts in the normal iPod touch forum marked as being from today. The hacks forum has a whopping two :rolleyes:

2. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since that's the only reason to jailbreak an iPhone or iPod touch... :rolleyes:

4. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

so nice that you can admit to stealing what feeds peoples family's. :rolleyes:

Has it ever occurred to you that there are many of us that think the current design and "visuals" of the iPhone are just fine as is?

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Jailbreaking is a waste you dont need themes and everything you need is in the app store.:apple: It really brings on stealing of apps and thethering atts network. Nothing good comes from it.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it would be safe to say the iPod Touch hacks section has died down considerably on mac rumours but I go on another forum and theres pretty much a drive over jailbreaking 1st generation iPods and people still wanting to know about 2nd generation jailbreak progress

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My friend is a rich bastard who pirates his apps. He thinks Apple is scamming him or something, yet he has the top spec'd unibody MB, MBP, iMac, Mac Pro (~24K and he just surfs web and goes on facebook and claims it's too slow). Rich spoiled brat. Some ppl actually make very artistic and sensible themes and jailbreak their iDevice. Then there's the oddball here and there using some "themes" that look like utter and complete crap that should of never left the garbage. Some guy put a windows based theme on his iPhone and said iPhone OS sucks because there's no task manager... My school is filled with dumb ppl I guess...

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ok....

1. iDevice?? wtf lol

2. he definately sounds like a rich brat lol

3. yeh I know what you mean about the vista theme, vista maximux is a well put together theme for the iPod

9. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

So just because the jailbreaking section on macrumors is dying, you think jailbreaking in general is dying? Sorry to break it to you, but macrumors isn't the only apple/ipod/jailbreaking forum out there, nor is it the most popular.

10. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

No, maybe I don't need themes. And my Touch isn't currently jailbroken. But by Cthulhu am I going to stand up for the right for people to do whatever they ****ing well like to a device they've bought. Long live the jailbreaks.

11. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Wanna list some of those other forums?

12. rdsxrule117 macrumors newbie

come on guys

there is no way jailbreaking has died. it has only become more complicated, but if you can follow simple directions, it is very possible. just go to this link cuz this guy has become so helpful. i didnt have my ipod touch jailbroken for awhile and then i looked there and convinced myself to do it. no matter what anyone says, it makes my ipod so much better, especially that i can get apps for free now hehehe.

died? dying? i say its on fire

Attached Files:

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

modymyi for one.

Jailbreaking may not be as popular as it once was because of the App Store but it definitely isn't dead.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Wow, I hope the dev team doesn't read this as they might stop their work.

I will be honest I have over 150 cracked apps downloaded. I used 18 of the apps on a regular basis. Yes I have purchased all 18 apps. In total I have purchased 35 paid apps and 49 free apps. The other cracks are on the memory stick just sitting there.

Apps aside I like a lot o the items jailbreaking offers. Themes, not so much, but I really like the transparent doc, five icon dock, cut and paste, pdanet in a pinch, irealsms, snapature, sbsetting/toggles and so on.

Jailbreaking to me is like overclocking a processor. Intel says don't do it yet motherboard companies give users a gui to make it easy.

Say what you will about jb, its a tool, you can use it responsibly or irresponsibly its up to the individual

Attached Files:

15. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

well excuse me.

sorry, but i can't buy things right now, i am just a kid, don't have a credit card, and my dad is not computer savvy and dosent like getting into things like itunes.

when i do have a credit card however, even though it may sound like i'm lying, i would feel better buying things to support people. i seriously wish i could now, but i can't.

and dont say, well just wait till you are an adult, waiting 5 years won't change anything, as i would not buy these things anyway.

16. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Being a kid has nothing to do with it. You're still a thief.

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

18. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

This thread is ridiculous. One huge can of flame-bait.

The big reason that jail braking is "down" on this forum is probably because it's not a huge deal anymore. It's routine and unexciting for iPod Touch and iPhone 2G owners. It's just like when running OS X on unsupported Macs was in full swing. It was pretty easy to get it to work. The only real "problems" came from people with strange configurations. This was happening on the official XPostfacto support board so you can imagine just how few posts there were here and on other forums. Just because it's not spoken about doesn't mean it's not happening.

Also the iPhone 3G base band unlock is barely a couple days old. Being unable to unlock the iPhone so it will work on non-AT&T iPhone plans is a big deal for a lot of people. Thats something that until the 1st of this year couldn't be done. AT&T's required contract makes things rather difficult when it comes to obtaining one anyways.

19. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Jailbreaking is def not dead, your basing your claim on a forum at macrumors? lol go to mmi and some other sites and youll see jailbreaking is as popular, if not more than, the pre-app store firmwares. Jailbreaking adds so much to your phone its crazy. But believe what you want. Im going to go record a video, send that vid to a friend via MMS, text a few people in landscape, cut and past that text to an email, download a few YouTube videos to watch whenever i want, download a few songs to my iPhone (for free, no iTunes), and play a few NES, Genesis, and SNES games all on my unique iPhone:)

20. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Those two bolded statements don't match each other. You first say that you would pay for the apps if you could, then you say that wouldn't buy them anyway?
    Plus, your excuses don't work. You don't need a credit card to make purchases in iTunes, you can just use a gift card.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Then don't buy them at all and act like a normal human. If you can't afford it, you don't buy it. That's how life works.

Both of these are debatable.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

^ People are going to take you alot more serious if you don't talk like that, calm down and speak like a human, trust me it will help you out in life.

And in no way is jailbreaking dying. Sure maybe this sites section is dying down, but honestly its very poor compared to THE jailbreaking site (of which I was a very active member till I broadened my scope by coming here) ipodtouchfans.

That site is still VERY active.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Video recording (Cycorder)
    MMS (SwirlyMMS)
    old game ports (Quake4iPhone, (S)NES emulators)

It goes on and on.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Dont forget gpsphone! I love being able to play pokemon without a gameboy!

Jailbreakings worth it for many reasons including themes, FULL customizeability, great apps that arent allowed in the appstore, etc

25. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Ignorance is a bliss. Please keep telling us what we don't need. Everything we need is in the appstore? Are you really this dense?

Your attempting to link the number of posts in a help forum with the activity of something? Thanks for the laugh; generally the people who jailbreak their phones/ipod have some sense of knowledge and know how to use google. Unlike the main ipod touch section where people don't understand the concept of reading the manual or using google to find an answer. Troll attempt failed.