Yes I've looked everywhere for the answer but...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jordanf2000, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jordanf2000 macrumors newbie

I'm still having trouble finding out what to do.

I jailbroke my 3GS on Spirit about 5 months ago. I would like to upgrade to 4.0. I'm on 3.1.2 now. I just want someone to put it plainly - what is the process for upgrading to a jailbroken 4.0?

Also, I have MyWi on my phone now, will it carry over once I upgrade? Do I back it up to my computer? How do I even go about doing that?

Thanks!! And I really did look everywhere for the answer but couldn't find anyone that was in my exact position.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you open up cydia does it list available shsh's saved on cydias server so you can restore to them.
    And no, once you restore/update you will lose all your JB stuff but you will be able to install them again after you JB.

3. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

If you have the hashes saved for 4.0.1 then you can. If not, you have to wait.

4. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Also, you have to pay($19.99/MyWi) for iPhone 4. The previous version won't work on IOS4.

5. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Upgrade price is $9.99

6. jordanf2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

Back to my original question, what exactly is the process for me to update? I assume it's not as easy as just connecting to iTunes and updating to 4.0. Or is it? Or will that brick my phone? Do I restore my phone to factory mode and then upgrade to 4.0 and then look for a way to jailbreak? Do I have to jailbreak again using Spirit or can it be any way? I really am ignorant on this matter. Any and all help is appreciated.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Step 1: Make sure your SHSH are saved by opening Cydia, and looking at the top of the homescreen.

Step 2: Download firmware for your device. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Step 3: Edit your hosts file to include this line:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    On Windows: Open Notepad as an administrator. The hosts file is in windows\system32\drivers\etc\ The file does not have an extension, so change option to All Files to find it. For mac, google it.

Step 4: Open itunes, click your iphone, hold shift (option for mac) and click restore. Find your firmware and perform the restore. If your hosts file was edited right, and your SHSH backed up, iTunes will receive authorization and proceed with restore.

Step 5: Enjoy your iPhone on 4.0

8. Kayan macrumors 6502

We keep attempting to answer your original question however you are not answering our question...does Cydia (or do you know this for yourself) show that you have your SHSH files saved for 4.0 or 4.0.1? If you don't know what these are, you need to search the forum for SHSH, read up on the topic, then come back once you understand that you can only upgrade/downgrade to a firmware that is not Apple's latest release if you have these saved. If you do have them saved, then the simple answer you've been looking for is posted above several times, if you don't have these saved, then you'll have to wait for a JB to come out for 4.1. Also do some reading up on what the software TinyUmbrella can do for you.

9. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Am I mistaken or doesn't tiny umbrella do this for you? It's been a bit since I download TU but I remember something about giving it permission to edit my host files. I know that I've never edited them and the other evening when I was trying to learn how to edit them should I ever need to, I went to the host file and it was already done for me. Does this sound familiar to anyone??

10. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Yes, TU does this. It is much simplier to use than doing the host file edit yourself.

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

No Way. In hell. Sorry but I do not buy into this tinyumbrella phenomenon. You can if you want, but there is no way you can say that using it is easier then simply adding one line of text to a text file.

With tinyumbrella, you have to download your SHSH, and then host a local TSS server to verify. So many errors come from this. It's unreal. And then you have to troubleshoot the errors ad nauseam.

I have tried to explain this to people, but they insist on making it more difficult than it should be. I just had a friend call me tonight and thank me for the easy method I provided. He tried the tinyumbrella route and got nothing but errors.

OP do yourself a favor, add one line of text to 1 file on your computer, and restore like normal.

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Sometimes it does give errors but for me it doesn't. Double click Tinyumbrella, click start TSS server is a hell of a lot faster for me than navigating through directories to find the HOSTs file and then a Google search to find the line to add.

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

Youre conveniently leaving out several steps in between, including downloading the 3rd party application, installing it, configuring it, and then connecting your iphone to the computer, making sure TU detects it (errors galore here), maybe putting the phone in DFU mode, downloading the SHSH blobs from cydia, then hosting a tss server.

Surely thats harder and more complicated than opening a text file, copying the line which I posted in this thread, pasting it in a text file, and clicking save. Right?

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

Never said it didn't work fine, its just unnecessary for 99%+ of people wanting to restore or downgrade. Its extra steps, extra complication, and extra potential for errors, which then need tons of troubleshooting. Not remotely worth the effort.

16. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I have found TU easy to use. It's not much effort and for some, it is simpler than editing their hosts file.

Maybe you should dial it back a bit. Why such hate for TU?

S-

17. kre62 macrumors 68000

Because I dont think you're being honest with yourself if you think that going through all those steps is easier then editing one text file. If you know how to open a word document, type a word in it, and click save, you can handle editing the hosts file.

The reason I get into it is I can't believe people jump to recommend TU to every new user who asks, when that users need could be fulfilled so much easier. Seriously there may be a use for TU in extreme situations, but 99% of these are not such situations.

18. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You are making TU out to be much harder than it is. Like I said, it's pretty simple as far as I am concerned. You come across like a raving maniac with all of your hyperbole....

S-

19. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Or you can just buy an unlocked iPhone and not deal with any of it, minus the jailbreak if you want that of course.

20. kre62 macrumors 68000

Keep doing it the hard way if you insist. No worries.

21. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Both ways are trivial to me......

S-

22. kre62 macrumors 68000

youre leet bro

23. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I also use it to save local copies of my SHSH blobs so those steps of installing etc are redundant. I don't have to put my phone in DFU mode and everything works nicely. Start program, click TSS server. For me it's far easier than editing the HOST file myself. Your mileage may vary but understand not everyone has problems running it.

24. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Yep, most of us already have it installed and our hashes saved, so it's a one button solution.

25. Kayan macrumors 6502

Didn't you squabble about this enough in your older thread Mr.? I thought you got time-out for arguing this before. Seeking more attention over a point that doesn't matter and won't convince anyone by your 'skillful' arguing? Oh, and didn't you "conveniently" include more steps in between, such as ignoring the fact that many people trying to downgrade are already in possession of TU, and that connecting your iPhone to the computer is (1) not that big a deal and (2) you need to also do that for your method to work. Both methods are fine, you just happened to not be very proficient at using the TU one and got confused along the way. The install is also the easiest install and foolproof application I've ever installed on my Mac.