Yet another 100 post min rant ;-)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by CatBookPro, Feb 17, 2016.

1. CatBookPro macrumors member

CatBookPro

Ok... I get the concept of limiting comments of political nature to those who have been active on this site.

That said... A number of posts to acquire the "minimum system requirements" are often nothing more than a "pull my finger" or massive tangents to the original posts.

I often don't post to this site because I simply don't want to get into some weird tangent / argument with some weird individual that's got an anger management problem :)

Point being: Based on what I see in the "100" minimum posts... I'm not seeing quality in many of them.

Again - I understand the need for a policy... but it seems to encourage an "elitist" / "pull my finger" mentality. ("It's snappier!" gets an addition to minimum system requirement of 100 posts)

Just a thought...

Sidebar: I guess I have to target myself on my whole rant, because I just added to my 100 post minimum lol!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Those are frivolous posts and when we see them, either through browsing a thread, or through post reports, they're removed and thus will not count towards a members post count total.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

And yet you want to post in PRSI? That's where all those people hang out. (;

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Well, according to the faq of that forum, one must also be a member for a month. Combine that with 100 posts and it seems like a lot of extra work to go through just so you can go argue with a bunch of people.

However, since this is being touched on, is there any particular reason those who cannot post in there yet are able to still view it?

5. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

LOL! You will probably want to avoid the internet and forums all together in that case!!! :D

As someone who has run a forum in the past I think the requirements are fine. I think if you lowered it you would get even more bozos in those subjects. On the flip side, some people just want to interact with a conversation and may not care at all about the 100 min post. This post I am making could be construed as a pointless response in an attempt to make my post count go up. It is all subjective. Maybe someone just thinks "lol" and wants to share that. Not everyone cares about the political comment restrictions....just saying.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

So they can get used to the forum etiquette before they are able to post in there. :(

7. theluggage macrumors 68030

I don't think anybody is suggesting that having 100 posts makes you eloquent, insightful and on-topic... it just establishes that you didn't just sign up on the spot purely to rant on a political article that you found via Google or perform "reputation management" for your client.

Presumably the restriction was introduced after bad experiences with drive-by trolling....

8. mkldev macrumors regular

I'll second this rant. I've had an account for over a decade, but my post count is low, because I usually only post when I have something particularly insightful to say, or when I can point out some key technical detail that others might have missed.

I posted two comments on a thread earlier this afternoon about Apple ID passwords, and had another post ready to go, explaining in some detail why changing the password on an iCloud account back to a previous value will not make it possible for existing devices to reconnect and make backups. Unfortunately, before I could post it, some well-meaning admin moved the thread into a category where I can't post.

So now, there's a thread that I replied to, in which people are replying to my post, and I can't reply to them because of these ridiculous post count rules.

At the very least, it should require 100 posts or some reasonable account age, rather than 100 posts and a reasonable account age. But more importantly, if a user has already posted in a thread, that user should be allowed to continue posting in that thread no matter who decides to move the thread into a black hole category.

9. Umbrarian macrumors member

I also wish some of the non political discussion (encryption of this phone), would be in a tech forum.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I've had a 100 posts in a day before. Just contribute jeez. Not hard requirements

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Which is fine if those posts are adding to the discussions but if they are just made as an attempt to build up your post count they will be deleted for breaking the Overposting rule.
    Forum Rules

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: If you think you want to discuss something that is technical and related to a story in PRSI, please start your own thread about it.

However, you'd be surprised at how easily some of these apparently non political discussions become heavily political.

Particularly in a US election year.

Don't be surprised if such a thread doesn't last long outside PRSI.

B

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

When threads start in sections other than PRSI, one way to help us keep them there is to alert us via post reports as soon as you see the discussion start to stray into PRSI-territory. In many cases, that can mean users won't experience what @mkldev describes.

14. CatBookPro thread starter macrumors member

CatBookPro

Point noted - I totally agree. I just decided to post a little rant... because I was being a big baby about not having enough posts lol :)

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

And yet you want to post in PRSI?

16. CatBookPro thread starter macrumors member

CatBookPro

That's and excellent point... I'm thinking that I don't want to reach that 100 post limit and just stick with the tech stuff going forward :)

17. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yeah right, I report the "safari snappier" comments all the time and the mods notify me back that no action was taken. :rolleyes: Should make for a good ss opportunity next time it happens.

Yep, the paradox the OP setup here is pretty amusing.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've had the opposite experience with the vast majority of reports related to things of that nature.

19. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I'm specifically referring to the "safari is snappier" comments, whatever judgement they're using isn't equal between all of the mods. Other erroneous, similar comments do get removed.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, including those particular ones for the most part in my experience. I'm sure it can likely differ for others, perhaps based on the moderators involved and/or the thread and/or something else.

21. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

Agreed with OP.

I will probably get to post somewhere next year… LOL :p

22. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Any chance of consolidating/merging them further ?
    So many of them they are verging on spam of the social issues forum. Haven't browsed through any of them, I'm guessing the majority of them are populated by the same posters.

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: we don't merge news stories if that's what you're asking. Please report any non-news threads you think can be combined.

B

24. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Unless there's also non-frivolous content in the post, the moderators are consistent about removing posts containing only that comment when they see them.

I took a fairly quick look at the post report history, and saw the most recent 22 reports you've submitted (back to Oct 11). I didn't see any for this type of post. Do you happen to remember approximately when you reported it last, or can you PM me the last moderator notification you received? If we made a mistake (and being human, it does happen), we have no problem rectifying it.

And in general: if anyone sees a "Safari is snappier" post that hasn't been moderated, it isn't because we chose to leave it unmoderated, it's - barring mistakes - because we didn't see it.

25. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

I didn't notice that most of the spam comes from the mac posting bot - Don't want to tick him off !