Yet another iPhone SE review

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koolmagicguy, Apr 4, 2016.

1. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

I have never been more hyper in my life.

I'm the proud owner of my first iPhone. Silver. 64 GB. SE. This thing is a real beauty. I've always wanted an iPhone but never could afford one. So when I saw the keynote for this baby I set my mind to buy it. After my first day using my new toy I'd like to share my impressions with you.

(Since I have never had an iPhone I may mention things you find obvious.)

Display: Perfect size and resolution. (Subjective, I know.) I owned an iPod touch years ago and I feel right at home. Downsized from a Nokia Lumia 928 with a 4.5" screen and honestly I like this size more. I'm not going to watch a lot of movies on it (that's what I use my iPad for) but it's just the right size to keep up with my virtual life on the go. Coming from a larger screen typing did feel a little cramped at first but auto correct helps a ton and when I type with one hand my speed is reduced but so are my typos. No pixelation.

Battery life: is AMAZING. I have not charged my iPhone since opening the box. 3.5 hours of use and 12 hours of standby on LTE. (It came with 3 hours of standby at 82%.) It is now at 42% REMAINING. Screen is about 40% auto brightness. Also, no yellow tint! I set up my phone, browsed Safari, made test phone calls, shot a few test videos and read the news. Not highly intensive but normal use for me.
    Side note: my iPad mini 2 battery life is also amazing. 7.5 usage hours and 61 hours of standby. I crap you not.

Touch ID: is a blast. It is quite fast and I wouldn't want it any faster. Sometimes I want to see my notifications without going to the home screen and I press the home button to glance at them.

Price: Overpriced but what do you expect? I saved my money and I hope to have made a good investment in a phone that will last me at least 2 years. Yes, the flash storage premium is obscene. Honestly, I paid what I was willing to pay for an unlocked smartphone with the latest and greatest internals.

Overall: Damn this thing is fast. No loading, no crashes, no latency or lag. 64 GB is way more than enough storage for me. It fits in my hand. I LOVE Hey Siri and will use it a lot, especially in the car. Very intuitive. Sound quality is ridiculously good. There is a tiny "rattle" when shaking the phone next to your ear like a lunatic. Non-issue.

Thanks for reading!

Disclaimer: Not an Apple fanboi. If you find opinions offensive or cannot stand differing opinions... too bad.

2. Kobbr macrumors regular

A lot of SE users on this forum trying to justify their purchases. You never saw this many threads on a flagship phone.

We get it, you like your phone. Unfortunately for you.. Mines better.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Because people like their phone. Hard to grasp, I know. I'm eagerly awaiting mine in the mail.

Better for you, yes. Unfortunate for no one.

4. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I like reading threads about people loving their phones. Sometimes we forget when we read about all the people who complain that some of us really do love them.

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Me too. I like when people enjoy what they've purchased.

6. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

And around here we don't hear about it enough. And the things people complain about gets a little ridiculous.

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I'll never understand people like you. You call him out for creating a thread (which he is excited about) and then you throw in a comment to make yourself look better.

I now remember why I stopped visiting the forums for a while. People like yourself are pure toxic.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We get it, you're insecure and you have to make yourself feel better by crashing folks' threads, demeaning them, and "bragging" about yourself.

Sad. Pitiful, actually.

9. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

I'm right there with you. This is my first iPhone also and if I had wrote a review it would have been exactly like yours.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Congrats on your happy marriage!

His phone is faster than yours,

And has better battery life,

And fits in his pocket. He wins. [​IMG]

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I fing the touch ID problem is easily negated by using a differnt finger, or just the tip of my thumb rather than a whole thumbprint. My biggest issue with the older touch ID was (still is) that it fails more often. Not sure if the longer read time does this or what, but I certainly get missed reads easily 3-4 times as freuqnelty.

Otherwise I liked your points. Happy you like it :)

12. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You can scan one finger more than once (set it up for two to three "separate fingers"). For me, this has made it a lot more accurate and quick to respond.

13. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I traded in my 6 Plus for a 64gb Space Gray SE. Best upgrade ever. I feel extra large screens are for people who tend to only have one computing device. I love the small phone size of the SE to complement my 9.7 Inch iPad, 15 inch MBP, and that extended to a 27 desktop setup at any time. Small, powerful phones are going to be the next market to chase after.

14. Kobbr macrumors regular

No issues with my phone fitting in my pocket. I'm 6'3".

Faster? No. Better battery life? Debatable.

SE is a joke.

15. kerrikins macrumors 65816

It's interesting that you end your post by childishly saying that yours is better, when you came across as sounding very insecure in your purchase.

Also, I have to wonder if you've ever actually paid attention to these forums around release time. The number of threads about the SE has actually been pretty reasonable compared to the tidal wave in September/October.

16. c0LdFire macrumors regular

Not everyone needs to compensate for their dick size via a phone.

17. HAudidoody macrumors newbie

This can't possibly be true.

18. koolmagicguy thread starter macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

Why? Do you think you know me? Even as a kid I was quiet and reserved.

Oh no, you ruined my life. I cannot be happy without your approval. LOL

19. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Spam from a newbie!! Move along.

20. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

shouldn't you be heading in from recess now?

21. ijme macrumors newbie

So I got my 64GB Space Gray SE yesterday at around 5pm (ordered 3am 3/24). Moved the sim from my 64GB Black 5 and did a restore from backup. It did the iTunes restore in minutes but the re-install of apps took forever, but was all done by late last night, maybe around 10pm. Some observations (so far): It's seems quicker/snappier, it's edges are a little less slippery than the 5 (matt vs. glossy), the black plastic separating strips stand out (i keep thinking there's dirt/stain). The SE is a nice upgrade but I think the 5 is sexier. The 5 was Steve Job's final and greatest. I hope they keep this form factor around for a long time. Wish I could cram the SE innards into the 5's shell...

22. aohus macrumors 68000

you make other apple enthusiasts look bad.

Coming from a 6+ to an SE.

Love the phone. Sure the battery life isn't as good as the +, but what can you expect from a phone this size. This phone lasts me through the entire day for sure. I will be using this as a backup device once I get the iP7. This phone is something to be reckoned with. Something hip/classical about carrying this device with it's smaller footprint compared to it's bigger brethren.

Thoroughly enjoying live photos + 12MP camera sensor, and overall snappier performance compared to the A8 SoC in the plus.

23. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Good for you.

You can butt out now.

Why others want to point out that their phone is better, is beyond me. I guess they need reaffirmation on a regular basis.

Edit: and From a noob no less...small wonder.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This is the my favorite iPhone to date, and I have owned them all since the original.

25. aohus macrumors 68000

for some reason i like the display better on the SE than the 6.