Yet another MBA VS. MBP Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I am wondering what one to get. the base end macbook air or the base end macbook pro.

i am only 14 and only need a computer that can do light web browsing (thats about it) (i have my iMac for other stuff)

i am selling my black macbook because i thought it was too much for my needs.

i know it sounds like i am leaning toards the air, because i am. i know i dont need a macbook pro, but for 200 more dollars it seems like i would be foolish not to.

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

why are you not considering the MacBook?

if it is too much for your needs, the MPB is way more than you need

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I personally would go for the MBP if an extra $200 doesn't bother you but if you want extreme portability and don't mind sacrificing a bit of processor speed then the MBA is what you want. If it were me I'd go with the MBP, simply more bang for the buck.

4. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

If you think your Black Macbook is to much for your needs, then a MBP will be way to much for your needs. If you are just looking for a secondary computer. That is portable and well strong enough for everyday use, then go with Air. The MBP is waaaaay more computer then the standard Macbook. You stated you already have a Macbook and looking to sell it. If I was you, I would keep and save the extra money. If you are only going for the Air, for its cool factor.

I am just saying, I do not see a point in selling a Macbook. Just to turn around and buy the air. But if I was you and really wanted to throw the money away, go for the air.

I really want a MBP and MP. I will try to buy around the end of the summer. I will then retire my new iMac, for everyday use and multimedia.

~Steven

5. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

yea i guess i really do want an "ultraportable"

just exploring all my possibilities.

i know you talk about the money, but to be honest it isnt that big of a deal. the macbook air is sexy, and the extra money it costs is worth it.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

How is money not a big deal? You're 14 :(

What do you need these for? I'm kinda glad I had no money at 14 and was happy just playing in the park with my friends all weekend...

7. fatcat23 macrumors member

No kidding, how is money not a big deal? Do you work for this money or is this from the parents? Work for the money and see how hard it is to make. I have an idea, go play sports and save your money. You already have the macbook and the imac and the iphone. Kids these days are crazy...

8. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

GET NEITHER!

Sell the Macbook, then use the money to buy yourself a nice Asus EEE PC, which shouldn't be "Too much" for your needs.

Use the rest of the money to invest in a college/uni fund.

Now, go on, live your life young man. And don't go around blowing your money (most likely your parents money) on useless crap you don't need.

And please don't give me the "I earned it all by myself crap", if you were going to, cause I'm 15, nearly 16 and I can hardly find a job that pays above minimum wage.

To get enough money on your own to buy all that stuff at our age, you need to kill about 23 hookers and sell a hell of a lot of crack.

9. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I would say the MBA (not just cos I use one).

You say you have an iMac for your workhorse (for power stuff, etc) and only want the laptop for portable 'light' use; then the MBA is a good option. It is a pleasure to use ( as long as you dont need the built in DVD or millions of ports).

I for one use the desktop mac for most stuff and the MBA for travelling, killing time on the roof terrace and watching stuff from my NAS when I can't be arsed to get out of bed...

The Macbook Air in my opinion is a great portable option, and I love the fact that it only has a couple of ports (hidden behind a neat flap). I get about 5hours out of its battery (with Bluetooth off), when trawling the web for interesting stuff or working on my degree assignments.

At the end of the day I guess its down to personal choice and if you have already said the bigger macbooks are too much, then the air is the way to go....

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The macbook is too much for you so youre selling it for a MBP? Huh?

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well you'll have to go to another computer company then - Apple doesn't currently sell any ultraportable machines. If you took your MacBook to the Apple Store and placed it alongside the Air you'd very quickly notice that the width and depth of the computer are practically the same - the only dimension which is smaller is the thickness, and to get to that thickness you are sacrificing a lot including stereo sound, USB ports, Firewire and remember, Air has no optical drive - you won't be able to play music CDs or DVDs on it unless you are near your home computer.

12. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks for actually stating what one you like better!

not that it is anyones business, but my dad was hurt in the Vietnam war, and because of an agent orange settlement we have some money now.

13. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

So you are taking your father's money??? I am sure he offered it to you... But you as a human and his son. Should say," No dad your worked very hard for this and gave up allot. Why don't you/we take a trip or something."

Consider yourself lucky. You have a laptop/desktop/iphone.

I am 17 and I look at the younger crowd, shakes head. I am not much older then these boys/girls. I am just now able to afford an :apple: computer. So I went out and bought the iMac in my signature. But I can look back and smile for all the hard work I did at a minimum wage job and small photography work on the side. I even do the same for Canon PowerShot G9 and my Blackberry 8830 (I use for school/personal. I take online class and Blackberry helps allot.) As I have stated in my other post, I am considering a MP/30" ACD and/or MBP. Thats only if I can get apple to finance it. On the plus size if I finance, it will build my credit up. But I am considering buying a Canon 40D and some lenses soon. But my point is, I worked hard for everything.

I look at my little brother and others his age (12-14). They all have cellphone/laptops/desktops/smartphones/ipods/ and all kinda cool stuff. The one the makes me mad is the clothes. They have A&F/A&E/Hollister and they will be grown out of it by the end of the year. I just now bought me some of those damn brand clothes for my self. Okay, let me take that back. I had a $300 gift for Christmas to A&E

Come on kids, Work!!!! You will be so happy you worked for you stuff. Cut grass thats what I did at your age.

My advice for you is. Save that money. Because in a few years you will be driving. I am sure you will want a new stero system or something for your car.

~Steven

14. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

People, get off your goddamn high horses and just respond appropriately or GTFO. It doesn't matter a damn where the money comes from.

Personally I fund my Mac purchases with dirty money from my uncle's Columbian drug and sex empire, wanna fight about it?

OP, get the MBA. The MBP is pretty much a portable iMac, and you already have one of those, so going for the added portability over functionality won't affect you providing you don't need power on the move. Also it makes no sense to go for a MBP if you found the MB overqualified.

15. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i dont know, i know im really flip-floppy but i guess thats the reason for the thread.

i know i said i didnt need the power of the macbook, but what about in a few years? i want something that will last.

also, the express card slot of the MBP really drives me in, i could see so many uses for it (usb hubs, card readers, anything really) also i love the user upgrade-ability.

on the other hand, the MBA is more built around my needs at the moment, but a hub would be needed, and i really dont like how it is spec'd for the dollar.
    it WOULD be perfect for my needs right now, and it is uber sexy (what apple product isnt)

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I could understand the point of this thread if you had no laptop at the moment or if you were using a very old model, but your signature says you're using exactly the same laptop as me and it only came out last year.

The only real benefit to you in buying a MacBook Air is the reduced weight. It's not a lot of weight either - the difference is only about 2lb. Have a long think about how often you actually use the computer away from home and how long you'll be carrying it for. If you use the laptop mostly at home, what is the point of paying extra for a lighter, lesser machine?

As I've said, I've got the same model as you and I believe it's a great machine which will last a long time, one of the things you've just specified as wanting. If you go to the Air you'll be getting a machine with a slower processor and much smaller hard drive so you'll be effectively paying out for a machine which will last less time.

Just keep the computer you have for goodness sake, buying a new machine right now would be a huge waste of money and won't bring you any benefits whatsoever. You may want to invest in some more RAM for your MacBook though. 2GB is ideal.

17. nastebu macrumors 6502

Am I the only person reading this thread feeling very very old? :)

18. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

yes, but i dont even like taking my macbook out in public because its so "fragile". i dont want it to get scratched or cracked.

i need something with a lot more durability, and either way i will get that with the aluminum bodies of both suggested laptops.

also, i will be loving the backlit keyboard :)

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't know much about materials but I believe that the plastic used to make MacBook is much more durable than the aluminium used in the Pro or Air, can anyone corroborate this?

I have to say though that I have seen way, way more damaged MacBook Pros at University than I have regular MacBooks. It seems that the aluminium is much more susceptible to denting than the plastic.

20. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

really? this may change everything. i wanted something fingerprintless (the backbook def. is not ;)) and could hold up well, and of course, match my iMac

21. StvRndy macrumors member

I'm totally agree with aneiltc13. The aluminum really easy to get dented and scratched. I have the aluminum keyboard, and they have tiny holes now. I don't know how did it get those but every time someone else uses my keyboard I really feel like want to tell them "Please be gentle".

I actually like MB white plastic design better than aluminum. I hope they'll still use them for the next major design release.

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The three quotes above are from Apple's website and describe the materials used to make the exterior of the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and MacBook. The MacBook's description is the only one which mentions actual abuse of the computer.

I think it's worth remembering that these are all computers and expensive computers at that. The best protection you can give them is by not abusing them yourself and there really is no defence against a major drop or scratching object. You'll also find that there are design 'niggles' of the Pro and Air just like the fingerprinting of the black MacBook.

23. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks for clearing that up, i really have a tough choice on my hands for the next couple days

24. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Depends on your finances and priorities. If you're 14, I assume you're not an on-the-go mobile worker, so you don't *need* the portability of an MBA. If it's just email and web, you could get a used MB and save $1000+.

But then again, if you're 14 and you or your parents can afford a $1600+ laptop simply for web surfing, then buy whatever you think is the prettiest :)

25. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The silliness of this topic is that the guy actually already owns a very speedy 2.2GHz MacBook in black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.