Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Blue Velvet said:
Yeah, I'm sure this was all Mr. Cruise's idea. :rolleyes:
I know. But if I had said it was Paramount's(?), nobody would have cared. I call it journalistic interpretation. Besides, I have a feeling that he has some say in the campaign. All these big stars like to think they know something about everything...

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
While I don't quite understand the point of having newspaper racks playing music when opened, I do appreciate the creativity. What I don't understand is how hundreds of people misconceived the little boxes and assumed they were bombs. What the Hell?

Culture of fear, anyone?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
This really sounds like a missed publicity opportunity... imagine—the cameras are rolling, the bomb squad has been called in, when suddenly, out of the crowd Tom Cruise (in costume) shows up to "disarm" the offending device and save the people in the Veteran's Care Facility. You can't buy that kind of publicity!;)

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I do wish they had a picture of the offending device. Depending on what it looked like, I should imagine the wires coming out of it being misconstrued. Well, I guess until the music began to play. Then it would just be a stupid toy. But, if the music didn't play, I would have to ask myself what a plastic device with wires coming out that are connected to the dispenser is trying to say.

The more I think about it with my "lessons learned" mind, I think this would be an incredibly effective tool for placing bombs at several locations around a city. Your explosions would happen at fairly close intervals, but you could be long since gone from the scene when the device went off. And the display copy would keep people from seeing the device and reporting anything...

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
irmongoose said:
I'd say this tells more about the moronic state of fear people are in these days that anything and everything is a possible threat to them, rather than Tom Cruise and his buddies.

irmongoose

exactly. people need to lighten up. why do americans always have to be in fear of something, anything. it's quite pathetic. :rolleyes:

oh, and let "TomKat" be. they're not harming you, so what if you think they're wacky, why should that give you the right to impose your beliefs on others?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
evoluzione said:
oh, and let "TomKat" be. they're not harming you, so what if you think they're wacky, why should that give you the right to impose your beliefs on others?
isn't that exactly what "TomCat" is doing, they are forcing their scientology cult down our throat's.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
MacNut said:
isn't that exactly what "TomCat" is doing, they are forcing their scientology cult down our throat's.
How are they forcing Scientology down our throats.

I am not a Scientologist. Nor do I feel like I must learn about them let alone become one.

So again, how are they forcing Scientology down my throat? What am I missing?

Signed Curious

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
MacNut said:

What kind of a retarded comment is that? Forcing it down our throat? Uh, when I see interviews of AR Rahman (a huge music director) .. he ALWAYS talks about how Islam inspires him to make music, the way he does. He talks about how he finds it peaceful.

Boy George talks about how he found solace in Hinduism.. Madonna and Britney talk about Kabbalah (sorry about the spelling)..

Are they forcing it down our throats? Its stupid when everytime I come here.. there's a new forum about Tom Cruise and how he's doing this and that.. God.. let him be, and spare us as well.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So when Tom tells Brooke Shields that she is wrong for taking antidepressants because scientology says its wrong thats not forcing of religion?

nbs2 said:
Apparently movie studios and friends are above the law. I say we use the PATRIOT Act and lock them all up for a while

First, let me say that Tom Cruise's life choices definately make me think he is not in good mental health. Second, congrats on finding an week old news story. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself) Third, I fear that flippant references to the patriot act are going to make this very AMUSING post more political than intended, but I liked the Idea!

nbs2 said:
if I had said it was Paramount's(?), nobody would have cared. I call it journalistic interpretation. Besides, I have a feeling that he has some say in the campaign. All these big stars like to think they know something about everything...

I look forward to reading you column in Monday's Post! .

But seriously, I don't think the IDEA was that bad. I blame the installation techs. The dispensers weren't supposed to look as if they had been fiddled with. It was a creative ad concept. And done w/ much greater care I think it could have been very effective. If I bought a paper (from a visibly unaltered) dispenser and heard the MI theme music, I'd certainly have told people about it. The exposed wires really did take a great concept and scare people needlessly; shoddy work w/ an bad result. - Though personally, (and speaking ONLY for myself) I refuse to live in fear of occurances the danger of which are statisically = to being struck by lightening, such as people bombing newspaper dispensers. I MAY die someday b/c of this outlook, but everday between now and then I won't be afraid.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
nbs2 said:
Apparently movie studios and friends are above the law. I say we use the PATRIOT Act and lock them all up for a while
Patriot Act sucks, does nothing but sap away all our liberties & freedoms and if Cruise wants to use a ultrasound let em. Its not rocket science. If this man can fly a P51 im sure he can follow instructions for a ultrasound. Control freaks and news networks looking to make news.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
MacNut said:
So when Tom tells Brooke Shields that she is wrong for taking antidepressants because scientology says its wrong thats not forcing of religion?
Brooke Shields is a Scientologist, correct? So if she is, he is saying that she should follow their beliefs. Simple.

Sounds about the same to me as some of my Catholic friends ensuring others go to confession or celebrate Lent.

Every religion has items that those who believe are to follow. Those who don't tend to be corrected by other members.

So what else is new?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
evoluzione said:
exactly. people need to lighten up. why do americans always have to be in fear of something, anything. it's quite pathetic. :rolleyes:

I do catch a hint of sarcasm there. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway:

Where did I ever mention anything particularly about Americans? The only point I am making is that this article does not show anything about Tom Cruise, because he most likely has nothing to do with this publicity stunt. Rather, it goes to show how scared we all are, of everything and anything. And no matter where you're from, you know that's not the way things should be.

irmongoose

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
irmongoose said:
I do catch a hint of sarcasm there. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway:

Where did I ever mention anything particularly about Americans? The only point I am making is that this article does not show anything about Tom Cruise, because he most likely has nothing to do with this publicity stunt. Rather, it goes to show how scared we all are, of everything and anything. And no matter where you're from, you know that's not the way things should be.

irmongoose

actually, no, there was no sarcasm there :)

i just realised your location says Tokyo. is it the same there? with regards to, shall we say, the general public, living in perpetual fear of something? anything?

i honestly thought it was more of an American thing than anywhere else. Having worked in London, there was always some bomb threat or something, heck, i even remember evacuating the school yard on more than one occasion when i was a kid...maybe i'm "used" to it?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
MacNut said:
sushi said:
Brooke Shields is a Scientologist, correct? So if she is, he is saying that she should follow their beliefs. Simple.
No, Brooke Shields isn't a scientologist (to my knowledge), but that's beside the point. Tom Cruise can say whatever he wants about Ms. Shields, or any other woman who happens to take antidepressants for post-partum depression. That doesn't mean he's "forcing his religion" on anyone; it means that he's expressing an opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.