Yet another thread about how Apple has lost me as a customer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7031, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 7031 macrumors 6502

Simply put, my usage of my Macbook Pro has been shocking. It was 1,600 GBP when I got it, and it's now worth nothing to me.

Here's my horror story:
    Pretty much the whole time I've had it, it's had heat problems.

Around June, the battery was dead and it pretty much depended on the charger, but strangely it had to be plugged in for about 20 minutes before it would boot with it.

I put it to sleep one night. Never woke up again. Turns out the logic board is dead. Apple wants nothing to do with it, my insurance wants nothing to do with it, and I'm left with a 1200 pound repair bill (700 if I do it myself) that I clearly cannot afford, so I'm left with no choice but to switch back to Windows, which I'm now very happy to do.

Anyone else ever been in the same position as me?

(for the curious, it's a Rev D Macbook Pro, specs in my sig)

2. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Try watchdog, of i'm not mistaken anne scary robinson had an apple that broke.... her researches would be quite happy to add you to yet another growing list of big companies to be taken on. she doesn't like big companies........ ask uk marketing director of centreparks.... she destroyed him... but he was a smug git.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Are you in warranty or AppleCare? I've had plenty of work done, Apple have never refused me anything. This MBP I'm typing to you on has had 3 new keyboards, a new battery, a new charger and a new sensor of some sort. I love it to bits, despite its faults it's the best laptop I've ever had, is 'perfect', and Apple have looked after me very well.

MBA is in right now having a new hinge, battery, fan, and trackpad button :)

<3 AppleCare.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Wouldn't it be better if your MBP and MBA just worked without breaking? It's nice that AppleCare is there for the rescue, but IMO, the products shouldn't break down like that.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry to hear that:(. Did you buy it from apple or a third party? I guess you should have gotten :apple:care.:eek: Keep in mind that this could happen to anyone from any company with anything. In 1999, our Honda Accord had problems. Now we don't buy Honda. The point is, there is always going to be a defective machine wherever you look. I'm sorry you had to be the recipient.:(

6. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

First of all, sorry if I came across a bit mad in my first post.

Secondly, sadly the machine is no longer under Applecare or something, but what worries me is that I've noticed how many other manufactures in this price range offer 3 year warranty as standard. I guess maybe it's better to be safe than sorry though.

To be honest, in some ways I am sad to see this machine go, because it generally was great to work with, and it was pretty powerful and Final Cut is brilliant.

Either way, my next purchase will have to be a desktop since power is currently more important to me, and my budget is going to be around 800 pounds.

Also, I searched the internet and other people have had the same issue as me, but with no fix. The machine is completely dead.

Thanks to those who have replied so far.

7. chrisrottan macrumors member

Honda has 3yr bumper to bumper warranty
    60,000 miles on ignition/electrical parts and 100,000 miles on powertrain.

8. chrisrottan macrumors member

Apple computer's are very fragile. They said under normal use, the battery should last you 5 yrs yet they only offer 1yr warranty on it. That's a joke.

9. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Where does Apple make that claim? That's an absolute joke. No battery lasts that long. 2-3 years is expected failure time.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So your computer broke out of warranty and you're mad that Apple won't fix it?

:rolleyes:

11. chrisrottan macrumors member

12. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Let me tell you my Apple horror story:

In 1990 I bought a Mac SE/30. I had it for eight years before I sold it. It worked the entire time.

In 1995 I bought a 5300cs. Widely regarded as a piece of crap, I used it daily for five years before I gave it to my uncle. He used it for a couple more before it finally gave up the ghost.

In early 2000 I purchased the then newly-released G4 tower. Nine years later, it still works. The only repair I've needed to do was to install a new hard drive a few years back.

In 2003 I bought a 1GHz 12" PowerBook. It still works and gets used nearly daily.

In 2005 I bought a G5 iMac iSight. It still works and is my main machine.

I have a 3rd gen iPod that I still use regularly, as well as two shuffles and an iPhone.

The only Apple products that have crapped-out on me early have been the first Titanium G4 PowerBook, which lasted me two-and-a-half years, and an Apple TV, which died a year-and-a-half after purchase.

I've never purchased AppleCare (not a wise move, I know). I suppose I've been lucky, but I consider Apple products to be generally well made. When my Apple TV died, I was upset, but I figured that I had finally gotten my comeuppance.

I'm sorry that you had bad luck with your laptop, but you took the chances when you didn't purchase the extended warranty.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why didn't you deal with this while it was under warranty?

Something's not right here... you aren't telling us the full story.

14. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

:eek::eek::eek:... My memory is failing me!!! I'm embarrassed. Well, I still remember our car had problems... in the end we sold it:). Sorry about that... will fix:eek:.

15. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

sorry to hear that:(

just today on macrumors i saw 3 threads...one guy had a problem with his air's hinges and got a rev c as a replacement...another guy had a broken iphone case(3gs) and got it replaced out of warranty!
    maybe you got unlucky...apple isnt that bad!!:eek:

16. zbasarab macrumors member

not to sound insensitive, but tech breaks down (especially laptops). nothing ever lasts and to expect something as complex as a laptop to live forever is ridiculous. that's the whole point of having insurance (applecare). if you didn't buy it it's your own fault and if you've had the comp for 3 or more years leading it to expire i think that is reasonable.

17. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

ok, so you were having problems with your MBPin June, some 4 to 5 months ago, depending when in June this started to occur, and you are just now getting it looked out?

Something doesnt seem right, I think we are missing more to this story, like the accidental dip into a pool or something.

18. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Here's a counterpoint to the original post.

I've owned MANY apple computers since the early 90's. So far, I've only had one major issue where my graphics card on my early Macpro died out of warranty. I took it to Apple anyway and guess what? They repaired it because they thought it might have been from an earlier issue.

I bought a G4 titanium when they first came out in 2001. I sold it 6 months ago to a guy who was thrilled to buy such a great laptop. As far as I know, it's still chugging away.

It's stupid when people use the argument that an expensive piece of equipment should last a really long time. Well, you're dealing with electronics and anything is liable to go wrong. If you don't trust the machine, go out and get an extended warranty or a rider on your home insurance. Why blame Apple if your computer goes bad out of warranty?

And to the OP, if your computer has been giving you so much trouble, why didn't you deal with it while it was under warranty? You made it sound as though you've always had issues with it.

19. jay1097 macrumors member

I have to say that your story doesn't warrant a thread post.

You bought a consumer electronic device, there is a chance that it will break and if it is out of warranty it is not unreasonable for apple to want to charge you for a repair. If you had problems from day 1 and didn't get it fixed than you have no one to blame but yourself. It's not fun to have to replace a laptop, but it happens (relatively rarely).

So you have a budget of 800 pounds get a refurb iMac 20" for 679 and spend the rest on applecare
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB417B/A?mco=MTA4MzIzNTI

20. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Original Crackbook :-

1- Became discolored
    2- Cracks started appearing, actual parts of the body falling off
    3- Left speaker stopped working
    4- HDD died
    5- Logic board failed

I owned the notebook for 3 years, but only actually used it for 7 months since I was overseas. Terrible experience. Giving Apple one more chance with a uMBP 15". Any problems I'll be going back to Dell and w7 I'm afraid.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Soooo did you it break down after the one year warranty or did you have applecare and it broke down after three years?

Just trying to hear the entire story.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I can understand the OP's frustration but due to the circumstances I would've just bought another Mac. In this case he's talking about needing a powerful desktop. The new iMacs are incredible.
    The OP is being quite naive in just deciding to go back to Windows as if his experience will be great. Macs, PC's and any other electronic device are all machines and can and will break whether immediately or over time but if the OP thinks deciding to go back to Windows will solve his hardware concerns then he's being naive.

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

you have to love all these people who buy something-have it break, then they vehemently defend that everything the company makes or will make is utter and complete garbage. Then they want us to feel sorry for them when something breaks and they were too cheap to pony up for extra warranty.

24. chrisrottan macrumors member

But his point is, THEY SHOULDN'T BREAK THAT EASILY FOR THE MONEY YOU INVESTED ON.
    Get it? Some people don't have 2Grand to spend on machines every year. And this makes me wonder whether the last report by consumer's report was a fix-up. I mean, it was a survey but I see why Apple scored high by the many answers of unbelievable people excusing poor quality control.

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member