Yet More Girl Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, this thread is a follow-up to my last thread, but I figured the question was different enough to warrent it's own thread. (Mods, please merge if you disagree).

So basically, I've been thinking about this for a while. We were just gonna hang out around at school (our school is open until 5:00), but that sounds kind of boring. I was wondering if it might be appropriate to take her to this great street that I know, they have all kinds of restaurants, cafes, shops, and such. It's a pretty popular place for high school/college students to hang out.

I am rather new to this whole dating thing, so I am unsure what would be appropriate here. Thanks.

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

That sounds a lot better then hanging out at school. Blach, what kind of date is that?

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Oh yes! A café, or ice cream parlour is great for a first date. It's a great place to just talk and get to know each other. As a warning, from my experience there is no secret formula to "creating" a perfect rendez-vous. They are either super great and the two of us have a lot to talk about, or they can be really awkward with lots of silences between bouts of talk about the weather.

Don't bring flowers on the first date. Just yourself and your best, cleanest shirt. No heavy aftershave or cologne. Just get to know each other better. Good topics to start with are: "the biscotti here is to die for!" - or some other food or drink you could recommend. If that doesn't go anywhere except an ok or other mono syllabic response, sit at your table and go, "So tell me about you. What do you like in life?" Hopefully that will trail off into a wonderful evening.

Oh and one more tip: CONFIDENCE! Even if you're nervous as hell, and your palms are sweating and you're conscious about your walk and you feel even more awkward...take a deep breath and just at least pretend to be confident. Girls love a guy that takes control...to a certain point of course.

PS: I would recommend you NOT taking her picture on the first date. That could seem kinda creepy. Just let the first date allow you two to break the ice. Not evaporate it.

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Hehehe! I'll try, and let you guys know what she says.

5. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Pretty much what I was going to say in a nutshell. Good advice! :)

6. fotografica macrumors 68040

A sense of humor is also a good thing.Don't be afraid to laugh and to laugh at yourself (a good sign of self confidence).Open ended questions are also great to keep a conversation going.Most importantly,be yourself,relax and have fun. Good luck!!

7. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Look, just act like Frank Costello from The Departed, and everything will be golden :D :D

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Yeah, I have no idea who that is, but thanks. :confused:

Anyway, here's the message I sent her:

No, I'm not cancelling our meeting. I was just wondering if you wanted to go somewhere else, since being at school might be a bit boring. I understand if you can't or don't want to, but I'm just throwing it out there. Have you been to [the cool place]? I have a few favorite places to hang out over there, or maybe you know someplace we could go.
    Well, either way, see you Wednesday.
    -[my name]

How is it?

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A better way to say it would have been, "Hey do you want to do something other then hang out at school."

10. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Now you tell me. :eek:

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Try not to sound desperate, try to be spontaneous. Don't plan the evening out before hand, let it happen as the evening progresses.

By saying "do you want to get a bite to eat" does not sound as bad as, "hey I found this great place."

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

No need for me to try. :D

So basically, I said the wrong thing?

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You didn't say wrong more as you said to much. Keep it simple, don't try so hard to get her to notice.

14. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh. :D I tend to do that alot.

BTW, I already sent it. :(

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Next time keep it simple. just say, "do you want to hang out later", is all you need. Let the attraction come natural

16. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Noted for future referance. :)
    (I probably shouldn't say stuff like that, should I?)

Well, I hope it'll work out. I'll let you guys know if anything interesting happens.

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Great advice....just be more like the Mac and not like the PC. That's way it will "just work"...if you come at her with a bunch of security prompts and a camera taped to your head, she's gonna give you the Blue Screen of Death.

18. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Buy her ice cream. Ask her about herself and listen. Don't stare.;)

19. fotografica macrumors 68040

Whatever you do,don't over analyze it to death..Just let it happen and have fun...

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Or just wear sun glasses.:p :cool:

21. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

That made me LOL. :D

I know the perfect place!

22. efoto macrumors 68030

MacNut is right in a lot of the posted ways, however it's always easier when it isn't your relationship you're talking about.

I tell all my friends those same things but then when it's my turn I can't stop talking, say waaaay too much then totally somersault sideways into hardly speaking at all! :eek:
    You'll do fine, just keep things light and enjoy yourself/ves.

23. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

QFT

24. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Right now, I'm doing a bit of investigating. Right now, I'm looking through her Facebook notes to get an idea of what kind of music she likes. Thank god for iTunes. :D

Is that too weird?

25. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:p

Oh man, it's sad that I actually understand all that.