Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
No, PRAM/NVRAM reset won't affect the hack of the extension.

Will wipe out the boot setting to allow unsigned extensions to load, so, will have to boot via recovery or external source and reset that value via:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

----------

It can be. Just enable TRIM then command-s boot to single user mode and run the command "fsck -fy" (without the quotes) and unused space on the drive will be TRIM and performance will be restored to like new.

This might not be necessary.

Yesterday was my monthly computer maintenance day. Have not been running TRIM enabler hacks since Yosemite (so, one month). Did not note previous what my free vs in-use block count report was, so, a bit of speculation here.

Anyway, booted into recovery mode yesterday and ran Disk Utility Repair Disk on the drive. Got the "Trimming blocks" message. Today, noticed that I got back 3+GB of storage. Since booting off recovery, none of the extensions have been changed there. So, appears you can TRIM a drive with Disk Utility in a recovery mode and not have to mess with changing anything in the extension.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This might not be necessary.

Yesterday was my monthly computer maintenance day. Have not been running TRIM enabler hacks since Yosemite (so, one month). Did not note previous what my free vs in-use block count report was, so, a bit of speculation here.

Anyway, booted into recovery mode yesterday and ran Disk Utility Repair Disk on the drive. Got the "Trimming blocks" message. Today, noticed that I got back 3+GB of storage. Since booting off recovery, none of the extensions have been changed there. So, appears you can TRIM a drive with Disk Utility in a recovery mode and not have to mess with changing anything in the extension.

Confirm you are running a third party, aftermarket SSD?

If so, that would mean Apple is stopping TRIM from working by default with third party SSDs in OS X, but allowing TRIM for third party SSDs in Recovery? That makes no sense to me. (I'm not questioning you, I'm just saying it makes no sense Apple would do that.)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yep, third-party SSD: self installed Samsung 830.

There have been threads on other sites in the past re: speculation of Disk Utility trimming. Whether the "Trimming unused blocks" message is actually TRIM, who knows. Lots of opinions, noone I trust being definitive, until some official pronouncement from Apple re: TRIM.

ADD: all that I can guess is since in recovery mode, and working on a disk that is not "active" (data is at-rest), less concerned of something going awry.

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Yep, third-party SSD: self installed Samsung 830.

There have been threads on other sites in the past re: speculation of Disk Utility trimming. Whether the "Trimming unused blocks" message is actually TRIM, who knows. Lots of opinions, noone I trust being definitive, until some official pronouncement from Apple re: TRIM.

ADD: all that I can guess is since in recovery mode, and working on a disk that is not "active" (data is at-rest), less concerned of something going awry.

I think it's because the Recovery Mode is using the base disk driver, which does not have the "Apple SSD restriction".

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I am working on a new feature to perform a total manual Trim which can be run every week or so, to avoid the constant risk of getting the boot error. It will be a part of a major new disk software I am releasing at the end of this year.

While that sounds nice, I for one am not interested in running trim manually.

I would rather a way to get out of the boot error without the manual typing. Best would be a fix that could be run from recovery. If not that perhaps a bootable thumb drive to do the fix. And if not that at least an app or script that could be run from a USB drive. Anything is better than what we have to do now.

Mike

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
I've just used the instructions on the Chameleon website to reset to original in Terminal and updated to 10.10.1 whilst wiping the sweat from my brow and everything seems to have gone ok.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
While that sounds nice, I for one am not interested in running trim manually.

I would rather a way to get out of the boot error without the manual typing. Best would be a fix that could be run from recovery. If not that perhaps a bootable thumb drive to do the fix. And if not that at least an app or script that could be run from a USB drive. Anything is better than what we have to do now.

Mike

Yes, automated recovery will also be a part of the new software.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
No, PRAM/NVRAM reset won't affect the hack of the extension.

Will wipe out the boot setting to allow unsigned extensions to load, so, will have to boot via recovery or external source and reset that value via:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

----------

How about if the flags are added in the Boot.plist. Does that get overwritten with each OS update?

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
I just updated to 10.10.1 and stupidly forgot to disable TRIM before. This is just to say that running the terminal commands on the cindori website worked, but not initially and I got a kernel panic. I had to run a disk permissions in target disk mode from another machine to eventually get back. Oh, and having to type out the commands manually is a real pain in the xxxx.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I just updated to 10.10.1 and stupidly forgot to disable TRIM before. This is just to say that running the terminal commands on the cindori website worked, but not initially and I got a kernel panic. I had to run a disk permissions in target disk mode from another machine to eventually get back. Oh, and having to type out the commands manually is a real pain in the xxxx.

This is interesting. The couple months I've been using TRIM Enabler and Yosemite (from beta to continuing update seeds) I haven't had to turn it off before updates. Yosemite updates and upon restart TRIM Enabler warns me TRIM has been disabled and I just re-enable it. No issues.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So how do I disable kext signing? I'm so confused. I've searched, and lead to an old post on cindori. Is it that one?

I still have not purchased TRIM Enable Pro, but will as soon as I know what to do.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So how do I disable kext signing? I'm so confused. I've searched, and lead to an old post on cindori. Is it that one?

I still have not purchased TRIM Enable Pro, but will as soon as I know what to do.

Install Trim Enabler (free edition is fine), launch Trim Enable and move the slider switch from off to ON. Reboot as instructed to do by TE. Then launch TE again, and make sure the switch is moved to the ON position again. Reboot one more time and you should be all set.

This will disable the kext signing requirement.

mraviator

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
I'm a recent switch-ee from Windows 7, having taken over the family's Mac Mini running Yosemite. I'm going to replace the HD with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD this weekend. Coming from Windows and reading all this TRIM business and issues on OS X made me chuckle...what happened to "it just works!" :)

Anyway, my question is....if I disable kext to use TRIM, how often does PRAM get reset automatically/on it's own/without me doing it? I don't mind jumping through the hoops from time to time to update the OS. But if PRAM resets itself weekly for whatever reason, that would be a pain.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
I'm a recent switch-ee from Windows 7, having taken over the family's Mac Mini running Yosemite. I'm going to replace the HD with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD this weekend. Coming from Windows and reading all this TRIM business and issues on OS X made me chuckle...what happened to "it just works!" :)

Anyway, my question is....if I disable kext to use TRIM, how often does PRAM get reset automatically/on it's own/without me doing it? I don't mind jumping through the hoops from time to time to update the OS. But if PRAM resets itself weekly for whatever reason, that would be a pain.

Have bought an EVO SSD and still not sure if I will use it or stay epithet the original apple SSD OR USE THE SAMSUNG AS AN EXTERNAL DRIVE WITH NO TRIM

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

It's definitely not weekly, at least in my case. I am coming up on one month with kext signing off and never once has PRAM been reset.

Now I did update to OS X 10.10.1 but I turned kext signing back on before doing so (with Trim Enabler).

Mike

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
It's definitely not weekly, at least in my case. I am coming up on one month with kext signing off and never once has PRAM been reset.

Now I did update to OS X 10.10.1 but I turned kext signing back on before doing so (with Trim Enabler).

Mike

Thats because it does not. 2 years has passed with Mountain Lion and I've never done a PRAM reset until several days ago. Even with power cuts to the house there has been no PRAM reset. In fact, now that I think of it. I've maybe only ever done two PRAM resets with this 2008 Mac. Maybe even one.

Reason I know it's never happened, I have the chime start up sound set very low. Only after a reset it's very loud.

brycenesbitt

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
To TRIM or not to TRIM, that is the question.

I've given up on TRIM, and do this instead:

dd if=/dev/zero of=trim.tmp bs=1024 count=10241024
rm trim.tmp

Which writes zeros to all empty parts of the file system, until the disk fills up.
This is the same technique used by recent Linux distributions to avoid the performance penalties and risks of TRIM.

If the underlying sectors are already zero, this will execute very fast.
It will leave a large pool of zeroed out sectors that the SSD firmware can quickly overwrite.

Last edited:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I've given up on TRIM, and do this instead:

dd if=/dev/zero of=trim.tmp bs=1024 count=10241024
rm trim.tmp

Which writes zeros to all empty parts of the file system, until the disk fills up.
This is the same technique used by recent Linux distributions to avoid the performance penalties and risks of TRIM.

If the underlying sectors are already zero, this will execute very fast.
It will leave a large pool of zeroed out sectors that the SSD firmware can quickly overwrite.

So running this command periodically will TRIM the drive with little risk?

Sounds a good bet until an OSX 10.10+ - compliant TRIM patch or support comes along...

rcliff

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
To TRIM or NOT to TRIM

It seems like the potential headaches of enabling TRIM on Yosemite may not be worth it.

1) What is the consequence of not using TRIM on a modern drive like a Samsung EVO 840 that has a garbage collection (GC) routine?

2) Will it shorten drive life significantly?

3) Will performance degrade over time with GC only and no TRIM? If so, by how much and how quickly?

I realize these questions may be tough to answer but I'm thinking that these drives may run fine without TRIM. Perhaps running disk utility from a recovery disk to manually TRIM the drives every few months is a good alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.