Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Has anyone installed yosemite for macbook retina mid 2012 ? How does it run ? Any lag when browsing safari ? How is the smoothness in general compared to mountain lion or mavericks ?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I don't have that model myself, but the across the board consensus seems to be that Yosemite runs as good as or better then Mavericks.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
I run Yosemite on a mid 2010 13" MBP ( upgraded RAM and SSD one year ago ) and have no performance issues.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Has anyone installed yosemite for macbook retina mid 2012 ? How does it run ? Any lag when browsing safari ? How is the smoothness in general compared to mountain lion or mavericks ?

I installed it tonight, it runs fine.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
I got late 2012 and Finder isn't as smooth as Mavericks. It's a little laggy tbh.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
it runs very well overall. I wouldn't go back to Mavericks if someone put a gun to my head.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Runs great and Safari is [this time for sure] snappier. Very noticeable speed improvement.

I used one of the B&W desktop backgrounds for quite a while, and Yosemite looks great with it. I don't mind the color effects, and might use one of those on certain desktops. Mostly, I like a color neutral UI (I do a bit of image processing and extraneous color just doesn't work). I know, I can turn off transparency, but I actually like it. From a practice standpoint, scrolling window transparency really does add information about where you are in the document.

Everything else is at least as responsive as Mav, and most likely more so. I've only had it on the rMBP for a few hours though.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I've been using it on my 2012 rMBP since DP1. It runs just fine (aside from a few 'new OS' glitches). Battery life is the same, give or take 10 minutes, and operating speed is good (the same as Mavericks, much better than ML). I notice a slight increase in heat, i.e., about 5-7 degrees centigrade.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Mid 2012 rMBP here. In general the UI is a little bit more sluggish than Mavericks. Mission control is very smooth, but Preview in Finder is noticeable laggy. Safari works great and very smooth. The Preview in Finder issue is the worst case of laggy animation I've seen, but you kind of stop noticing it after a while. :(

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Mid 2012 rMBP here. In general the UI is a little bit more sluggish than Mavericks. Mission control is very smooth, but Preview in Finder is noticeable laggy. Safari works great and very smooth. The Preview in Finder issue is the worst case of laggy animation I've seen, but you kind of stop noticing it after a while. :(

Have you been able to get handoff to work ? I can't seem to "pair" my macbook pro with my iphone 6 with bluetooth . But is "pairing" required for handoff ?

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
No need to pair your bluetooth devices. Both devices do need to have the option enabled for it to work though.

OS X: System Preferences > General > Allow .....
iOS: Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested > turn it on

Also, both devices need to have bluetooth 4.0 for it to work.

megakilo

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
I have 13' 2012 rMBP. Performance side is pretty good. But I do get random system freeze several times. I had to do hard reboot.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
late 2013 13" rMBP, finder very laggy compared to Mav (so much so that I had to switch of translucency to get some fluidity), otherwise Safari much improved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.