yosemite for macbook retina 2012 ?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by anonymous4a, Oct 20, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Has anyone installed yosemite for macbook retina mid 2012 ? How does it run ? Any lag when browsing safari ? How is the smoothness in general compared to mountain lion or mavericks ?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

nope - noone has :)

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I don't have that model myself, but the across the board consensus seems to be that Yosemite runs as good as or better then Mavericks.

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

I run Yosemite on a mid 2010 13" MBP ( upgraded RAM and SSD one year ago ) and have no performance issues.

5. Fissure macrumors 6502

I installed it tonight, it runs fine.

6. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

I got late 2012 and Finder isn't as smooth as Mavericks. It's a little laggy tbh.

7. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

I just installed it, how is handoff working for you ? I can't seem to get it to work..

8. AirThis macrumors 6502a

it runs very well overall. I wouldn't go back to Mavericks if someone put a gun to my head.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Runs great and Safari is [this time for sure] snappier. Very noticeable speed improvement.

I used one of the B&W desktop backgrounds for quite a while, and Yosemite looks great with it. I don't mind the color effects, and might use one of those on certain desktops. Mostly, I like a color neutral UI (I do a bit of image processing and extraneous color just doesn't work). I know, I can turn off transparency, but I actually like it. From a practice standpoint, scrolling window transparency really does add information about where you are in the document.

Everything else is at least as responsive as Mav, and most likely more so. I've only had it on the rMBP for a few hours though.

10. Fimeg macrumors regular

I've been using it on my 2012 rMBP since DP1. It runs just fine (aside from a few 'new OS' glitches). Battery life is the same, give or take 10 minutes, and operating speed is good (the same as Mavericks, much better than ML). I notice a slight increase in heat, i.e., about 5-7 degrees centigrade.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Mid 2012 rMBP here. In general the UI is a little bit more sluggish than Mavericks. Mission control is very smooth, but Preview in Finder is noticeable laggy. Safari works great and very smooth. The Preview in Finder issue is the worst case of laggy animation I've seen, but you kind of stop noticing it after a while. :(

12. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you been able to get handoff to work ? I can't seem to "pair" my macbook pro with my iphone 6 with bluetooth . But is "pairing" required for handoff ?

13. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

No need to pair your bluetooth devices. Both devices do need to have the option enabled for it to work though.

OS X: System Preferences > General > Allow .....
    iOS: Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested > turn it on

Also, both devices need to have bluetooth 4.0 for it to work.

14. megakilo macrumors newbie

I have 13' 2012 rMBP. Performance side is pretty good. But I do get random system freeze several times. I had to do hard reboot.

15. prism macrumors 6502a

late 2013 13" rMBP, finder very laggy compared to Mav (so much so that I had to switch of translucency to get some fluidity), otherwise Safari much improved.