Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Do you really think the *majority* of Yosemite users is not satisified?

I think the majority of Yosemite users aren't bothered enough to write posts to complain. I think the satisfaction rating overall, is quite possibly the lowest since Lion and that was mostly due to major issues/bugs early on, but also removing huge features like Rosetta that killed functionality. Thus, I skipped Lion entirely. I plan to do the same with Yosemite. I have NEVER skipped any other major updates since Panther and it's not because I don't want a few of the new features. It's because it SUCKS. It wasn't ready and the graphical changes were unneeded at best and piss ass ugly at worst.

This thread is irrelevant

To you, maybe. I'm looking at the official update numbers and they are exceptionally low for Apple, particularly for a FREE upgrade. I think more people upgraded when it cost $20 to do it. That's SAD, IMO, but also telling.

Most people like the flat look because it looks "modern" and not dated.

Are "most" people under the age of 25? Because the rest of us have already seen "flat" interfaces (MS-Dos menus, Windows 3.1, Atari ST, Amiga) before and they are INCREDIBLY DATED, as such. It's only "new and fresh" to people that weren't alive or didn't use computers back then (being in diapers, etc. as such). To me, it looks ancient. Mavericks looks modern by comparison. I suppose if you started building cars with fins again it would look "new" to "most" people. But it's NOT "new" at all.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Are "most" people under the age of 25? Because the rest of us have already seen "flat" interfaces (MS-Dos menus, Windows 3.1, Atari ST, Amiga) before and they are INCREDIBLY DATED, as such. It's only "new and fresh" to people that weren't alive or didn't use computers back then (being in diapers, etc. as such). To me, it looks ancient. Mavericks looks modern by comparison. I suppose if you started building cars with fins again it would look "new" to "most" people. But it's NOT "new" at all.

I think it's unfair to compare Yosemite's look to those antiquated UIs you mention. It's not the same kind of "flat", so to speak ;) There's depth and a graphic quality that were inexistant back then. iirc we've had a similar discussion when Yosemite came out, in this very thread (hence its irrelevance to gauge the OS approval rating :p), flat is what's cool and modern these days, even the majority of movie posters use helvetica or a variation of it. What are we gonna do about it? ...Is it cool to my eyes? I do prefer "less flat" and Mavericks' curves. The reason I reinstalled 10.10 was because I wanted some specific features and I've always liked running the latest OS. I wouldn't have minded a continuation of the previous UI, less drastic. But Yosemite's UI is not really an issue, to me.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Do you really think the *majority* of Yosemite users is not satisfied? [COLOR="#808080"

No I don't as you say "think the majority of Yosemite users is not satisfied."
I think the majority ARE not satisfied. You can read it all over the web not just on this forum.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Yosemite, no more attractive with Retina displays than without

… retina is easy on the eye!

Recently I spent time with two Macs with Retina displays.

First, a new 15" MacBook Pro.

Then, a new 27" iMac with 14.7 million pixels. 5K.

The hardware is nice, but neither experience altered my opinion about the appearance of Yosemite – the look of the operating system is substandard.

Attachments

• 2015-03-28 01-46-26 screenshot.png
    2015-03-28 01-46-26 screenshot.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 194

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I think the majority of Yosemite users aren't bothered enough to write posts to complain. I think the satisfaction rating overall, is quite possibly the lowest since Lion and that was mostly due to major issues/bugs early on, but also removing huge features like Rosetta that killed functionality. Thus, I skipped Lion entirely. I plan to do the same with Yosemite. I have NEVER skipped any other major updates since Panther and it's not because I don't want a few of the new features. It's because it SUCKS. It wasn't ready and the graphical changes were unneeded at best and piss ass ugly at worst.

To you, maybe. I'm looking at the official update numbers and they are exceptionally low for Apple, particularly for a FREE upgrade. I think more people upgraded when it cost $20 to do it. That's SAD, IMO, but also telling.

The reason it was flat back in 1999, same for Windows, the technology just wasn't there. Even for graphic cards. The desktop was 16bit or there about. Icons etc had jagged edges.

I think it's unfair to compare Yosemite's look to those antiquated UIs you mention. It's not the same kind of "flat", so to speak ;) There's depth and a graphic quality that were inexistant back then. iirc we've had a similar discussion when Yosemite came out, in this very thread (hence its irrelevance to gauge the OS approval rating :p), flat is what's cool and modern these days, even the majority of movie posters use helvetica or a variation of it. What are we gonna do about it? ...Is it cool to my eyes? I do prefer "less flat" and Mavericks' curves. The reason I reinstalled 10.10 was because I wanted some specific features and I've always liked running the latest OS. I wouldn't have minded a continuation of the previous UI, less drastic. But Yosemite's UI is not really an issue, to me.

This is Apple's version of Hollywood movies. Reinvent old stuff because they have no people anymore that have original ideas.

After all, this is the same Apple company that used to insult others for no originality with slogans, Think Different. Does nobody remember?

Remember when they mocked the competition?

Last edited:

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I have seen all this hate! but i really feel yosemite is better than prev versions! check these http://qwich.in/top-5/os-x-yosemite-tips and tell me if you still feel so about yosemite!:eek:

People have opinions based on personal preference and knowledge of the available resources for any specific subject matter. Might just be some older Mac users that have been in the trenches over the years know without a doubt what the product is capable of, and are comparing past satisfaction and happiness with this new in your face disaster. Teaching the old dogs new tricks is not always so easy. Just keep it simple, pretty, and working correctly that will get high marks from the old Mac users. That is my opinion.

Etan1000

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
I have seen all this hate! but i really feel yosemite is better than prev versions! check these http://qwich.in/top-5/os-x-yosemite-tips and tell me if you still feel so about yosemite!:eek:

Seems like you tuned in pretty late to the discussion. Those "tips" are old news and irrelevant to the problems and issues with Yosemite laid out here and elsewhere in great detail.

If you studied all the discussion in this forum and are still unaware of the unresolved issues, I would highly recommend this alternate resource covering one of the critical issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/searc...showAnsweredFirst=true&q=yosemite font vision

Respectfully,
Etan

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

And who are these "rest of us" because I am not under 25 and I have seen all that you mentioned. And yet, I feel Yosemite has a new fresh look. So before you go generalizing realize that not everyone over the age of 25 feels the same as you. Might as well count my wife in there too as she is also not under the age of 25. So I guess that makes 2 of use not included in your generalization on age and people feel is old, new or INCREDIBLY DATED, as such. Car analogy, really.

Last edited:

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
And who are these "rest of us" because I am not under 25 and I have seen all that you mentioned. And yet, I feel Yosemite has a new fresh look. So before you go generalizing realize that not everyone over the age of 25 feels the same as you. Might as well count my wife in their too as she is also not under the age of 25. So I guess that makes 2 of use not included in your generalization on age and people feel is old, new or INCREDIBLY DATED, as such. Car analogy, really.

Count in my generation to "rest of us" which is way more than +25.
Been there, seen that, like the reborn and recogniton of naïve/primitive art which is closely related to Yosemite's "flat design" with its main philosophy of "simplicity rather than subtlety".

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I had been a huge fan of the OS X UI for years, and was very happy the day I bought my Mac mini. You can see how much I loved the OS X look from the screenshot below when I designed a gnome theme for my Linux box before moving to OS X.

My first opinion of Yosemite wasn't good, I thought the UI was horrible. However, being on Yosemite for a bit has changed my views, the flat UI isn't really as noticeable as I thought it would be. Yes, I still miss the pre-Yosemite look, but I'm not as concerned about it anymore. Still, I wish I knew enough about OS X to be able to fully theme the UI without causing problems for myself.

Attachments

• scr-desktop-20140602.jpg
    scr-desktop-20140602.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 165

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2012
The idea that "Yosemite will appeal to the young" is stupid. There's a post on YouTube by a a group of "young people" buried somewhere in this thread where they ridicule Jony Ive and his simplistic designs. This is just more of Apple's marketing team trying to put lipstick on a pig and convince us it's really a super model.

Nice try.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
The idea that "Yosemite will appeal to the young" is stupid. There's a post on YouTube by a a group of "young people" buried somewhere in this thread where they ridicule Jony Ive and his simplistic designs. This is just more of Apple's marketing team trying to put lipstick on a pig and convince us it's really a super model.

When/where did Apple say that Yosemite will appeal to the young?

I did read numerous "reports" from people ridiculing the interface and saying it looked like a toy, therefore implying (or saying) that it was for kids, but this has nothing to do with Apple's marketing team, just people talking. I've never heard that Apple wanted to "reach children" with Yosemite... Not trying to argue, just asking.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
It has to do with the balance of power within Apple. Ive taking over the complete design including software and forcing his Bauhaus, naive/primitive art style.
It goes w/o saying that it may appeal/appeals to lot and is disliked by many, including myself.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
When/where did Apple say that Yosemite will appeal to the young?
I've never heard that Apple wanted to "reach children" with Yosemite... Not trying to argue, just asking.

Your assumption that Apple has not been interested in reaching out to children, might be pitted against the days when Apple filled the grade schools with their brand of computers for kids to experience the Apple computer world. Just another way of looking at your point that they don't reach out to children. It was occurring way before Yosemite.

Last edited:

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
You assumption that Apple has not been interested in reaching out to children, might be pitted against the days when Apple filled the grade schools with their brand of computers for kids to experience the Apple computer world. Just another way of looking at your point that they don't reach out to children. It was occurring way before Yosemite.

I never said Apple wasn't interested in reaching out to children. What I'm saying is that Yosemite's new look wasn't made to reach out to children. Except maybe for the people who are saying it "looks like a toy". I don't remember Apple declaring stuff such as "well we have made big changes on our UI so now children will be able to use OS X like everyone else because it's so simple to use and it looks so cool".

FrtzPeter

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
I got started using Macs in 2002. I bought an iBook because I wanted to use it as a remote terminal at work, and we worked on Solaris based systems. At home at the time I was using Linux. One day I just looked at Aqua on Jaguar and how superior its appearance was to those on Linux at the time and I just asked myself, "Why stick on this Linux box if I can use this great looking Aqua interface and still do all my work?" At that point, I switched.

If OS X at the time I switched had looked like Yosemite does now, I seriously doubt I would have switched at all. The iBook probably would have been a one-off purchase that would likely have ended up eventually getting replaced by a laptop PC running Linux.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I noticed this today in an Apple Store playing with the new rMBP. I could tell right away it was hard to look at. If you're in terminal a lot like me, it was downright painful trying to read the screen. I'm a little bummed because I need a new one and I don't want that.

There are any number of third party terminal programs, starting with the 20+ year old xterm. Pick one that allows you to select a font.

Razzosinni

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
I don't like the look and feel of Yosemite either. I've been using Macs for about 2 years, since Mountain Lion was the latest version. I always loved the UI, it's mostly the thing that brought me to the Mac. Anyway, as soon as iOS 7 was introduced (which I hated, by the way, and I still have trouble getting used to), I knew OS X was going to be butchered as well. I enjoyed Mavericks as much as I could. Jony Ive has way too much power at Apple and Cook doesn't seem to care at all about what is actually being developed. I agree that iOS was getting stale. Want to make a new interface? Great. Make a better one, one that looks even more classy. This is childish. I swear to God, stock Android looks better than this.

So at the last WWDC, the change somehow came natural and although I wasn't planning to upgrade, truth is, I enjoy Continuity. Hell, I even bought a new MacBook. It's incredibly convenient. But as far as the UI goes, at this point, I'm pretty neutral. Yes, I definitely feel that the Apple products have "lost their magic", but I feel like I have no compelling alternative. There's no way I'm going back to Windows, simply because I despise Microsoft for a number of reasons. I like the Apple ecosystem a lot and for the most part, I had no issues in getting everything to work together. Performance-wise, I have no complaints as well. I still think they have the most beautiful hardware in the industry, despite the flaws of the iPhone 6. So all in all, I still find Apple to be the way to go.

But the user interface is awful. A couple of years ago, when I used to jailbreak my iPhones, there were these themes in Cydia that you could get for 2 or 3 dollars, and some of them were even free. I personally felt that some of the icons looked much better than those of iOS. So these unknown developers, who have extremely limited resources, managed to enhance the look of my phone almost for free, at a time when iOS looked stunning. In 2013, Apple had somewhere around 140$ billion, and even though they sit on that huge pile of cash, they come up with iOS 7. :rolleyes: Am I missing something?

Oh, and talking about usability, Ive brags about having created an unobtrusive UI, but whenever I change the volume on my devices, I have to put up with the transparent bell and speaker that covers my content. I have to pause my video and wait for a couple of seconds to go away. This is "putting me out of context" a lot more than a grey notification bar that hides the background of my iPhone does, believe me. That's just plain stupid, and prior to Yosemite and iOS 7, this was not an issue.

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
And who are these "rest of us" because I am not under 25 and I have seen all that you mentioned. And yet, I feel Yosemite has a new fresh look. So before you go generalizing realize that not everyone over the age of 25 feels the same as you. Might as well count my wife in there too as she is also not under the age of 25. So I guess that makes 2 of use not included in your generalization on age and people feel is old, new or INCREDIBLY DATED, as such. Car analogy, really.

I can only assume you missed the point entirely. I was saying anyone who used a computer before the year 2000 or so has ALREADY SEEN A FLAT INTERFACE BEFORE. How can something be "new" when it's been done to death before? HENCE my comment about people under the age of 25 since they have an excuse, at least (i.e. they've quite possibly never seen all the two dimensional GUIs from the 1980s and 1990s. Just because YOU happen to LIKE two-dimensional, that in no way changes my point that it's NOT "NEW" or "SHEEK". It's more like OLD and I'VE BEEN THERE, DONE THAT BEFORE. If you can't comprehend that idea, oh well. I'll try and not lose sleep over it. It has NOTHING to do with whether some people PREFER two-dimensional and everything to do with the previous comment that it's "NEW" and "NOW". Well, I guess the two thousand teens are the new 1980s then because I've seen this look and it's not new.

Now OSX V1.0 was NEW. NO ONE had ever seen the AQUA interface on ANY computer before. It was not only new, it was ground-breaking and trend-setting. Now it's just copying what everyone else is doing. In case some haven't noticed, Microsoft has ALSO gone "flat". Since when has it been a good thing to look like Windows? OSX should be its own OS and stop worrying about what's in fashion. Apple should SET fashion, IMO not follow it and it USED to do that. Sadly, Johnny Ive is not Steve Jobs and neither is Tim Cook. They are traditional business people that can follow someone like Jobs and do a good job when reigned in, but clearly without those controls, they just follow what they think is trendy. Is there money in that? Sure, but it's not the same Apple. Even Apple in the '80s didn't go bankrupt. It took 15 years without Jobs before they started to approach that point. So I wouldn't base current sales that are based on Jobs ideas (e.g. iPhone, iPad and uni-case notebooks) on future ones when those ideas have reached their saturation point. I simply think copying what everyone else is doing is the WRONG DIRECTION.

Worse yet, Yosemite has key functional problems (e.g. harder to read text on some monitors, etc.) that Mavericks does not have. That's not only the wrong direction, but going backwards. Apple should listen to its users feedback and fix the damn problems. Those are far worse than just the "look".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.