Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
You can never, ever, ever ever ever win in argument vs your girlfriend. Its a fact, there is no possible way, i have tried for years and i can there is no possible way to win. It does not matter what the subject is about, you will never win.

For example, if you are blind and your girlfriend thought you looked at the hot girl sitting on the other side of the restaurant then you looked, its a fact.

Here how it went:

GF = Girlfriend, Me = Me.

*watching a tv show kinda like american idol when a cute girl started to sing*
GF - Do you think she is cute?
Me - Do you really want me to tell you if she is cute?
GF - Yes!
Me - Yes, i think she is cute.

*10 mins of explaining why she is not cute*

Me - Okay she is not cute.

*2 hours later we are watching desperate house wives*

GF - Who do you think is the cutest one?
Me - Gabe (iva longoria)

*20 mins of explaining how i dont know what cute is and why Iva is not cute*

*10 mins ago*

GF- Do you think she is cute?
*a not so attractive female person she is talking about*
Me- Not really
*5 mins of talking explaning to me why she is cute*
Me - Your right, she is cute! what was i thinking before.

A pattern emerges here, cute girls are not cute and the not cute ones are, and most importantly she is always right, you as a male can never win.

All that being said, i love here to death and cant see myself without her :)

This is one way i am wrong and she is right in many many many other ways that i wont talk about now. maybe next time. Feel free to share your experience.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Next time she tries that nonsense, distract her with something unexpectedly deep and philosophical like "Do you think we reincarnate after death or just cease to exist?". Have one of these questions ready every time she starts and she'll soon think that the differences between her and your definitions of cute really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
Just get used to the fact they always think they are right. Even when you confront them with fact you are always going to be wrong. :D

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
You could try complementing her more often, helping her work through her own insecurities. Or get a new girlfriend who's not into head games.

They're not all like that. This is far from universal for all women.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
milo pegged it: that's insecurity talking. And I've never understood that in women. And I think most of us guys like women who are confident and secure in themselves, not ones who are always neurotically trying to assess other people's beauty standards and, by inference, whether they measure up.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I'd ditch her and find someone you can have a relationship with and be able to enjoy the freedom to say what you feel around her.

I was in a relationship for a couple years once where what you described happened on a far-too-regular basis. In my current relationship, I am free to comment on celebrities, girls I see on TV, or even her friends. She trusts me and I trust her, so why should we pretend that just because we are with each other we are somehow suddenly unable to recognize other people's physical beauty?

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
Sounds like she has cheated on you. Sorry to say but the same thing happened to me. This girl was great then over time what you described started to happen. Found out months later that she had cheated on me.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Sounds like she has cheated on you. Sorry to say but the same thing happened to me. This girl was great then over time what you described started to happen. Found out months later that she had cheated on me.
Wouldn't surprise me. My ex cheated on me.

Relationships with an overly jealous partner almost never last, and if they do, you'll wish they hadn't.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Here's how my convo with her would have gone:

GF: Do you think she's cute?
Me: Yes, definitely.

*10 minute explanation as to why she's NOT cute at all*

GF: Do you think this girl is cute?
Me: Yes, she's cute. She looks cute in the same way you're cute.

*no explanation as to why she isn't cute, because if the girl on TV isn't cute, then she probably isn't cute either, from what you said*

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey
How about a little "Well I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. We're all entitled to our own opinions" and that's it?

My husband and I, for the record, will forever disagree on whether or not Julia Roberts is beautiful. I think she's gorgeous. He thinks she has a caricature of a normal human face. :rolleyes: We avoid arguing about it, FWIW.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
You could try complementing her more often, helping her work through her own insecurities. Or get a new girlfriend who's not into head games.

They're not all like that. This is far from universal for all women.

Gotta agree. She's got some insecurity issues. Definitely not the norm for all women.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
my answer is usually "she is almost as cute as you are"

to which my GF giggles and then says after a minute "yeah, she is really cute. its OK to admit it." To which i usually say "yeah, she is a fine piece of tenderoni, but i am not in love with her, i am in love with you."

then, we have us some sex.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
...i usually say "yeah, she is a fine piece of tenderoni, but i am not in love with her, i am in love with you."
I do think that that is the key.

I think I'm not the 100% stereotypical woman (even though I am insecure and whatever else), but with my ex, I think I might have been more into ogling hot women than he. :p And no, it wasn't to bash or hate on them, I was genuinely enjoying myself just seeing them and/or being attracted to them. Which isn't to say there weren't times when I felt insecure, that he might have been more interested in some other woman/-men, but he'd remind me the he liked me and was with me. And it was up to me to believe that. I do think that that's the important part.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I came to the realization long ago, men and women cannot understand each other at any level which involves subjective values. It is not such a difficult thing to accept, any can actually be appreciated. I love the way women see things, even if I cannot share it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.