Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Glad to see people will be able to get their X's in time for Christmas. And this is after analysts predicted X supply wouldn't catch up until early 2018.
Analysts guess a lot and have been proven wrong many times by Apple.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Apple still isn’t meeting demand since you cannot reliably walk in to a store and buy the X. Most stores run out of inventory in the morning.

It will be weeks before things stabilize. I believe there is still a retail wave of buyers out there who do not like waiting for orders. This will be an awesome quarter for Apple.

Reactions: Baymowe335

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
Apple still isn’t meeting demand since you cannot reliably walk in to a store and buy the X. Most stores run out of inventory in the morning.

For the last week, all models have been available for immediate collection at all stores on my "check availability" list (Thats up to 240 miles away).

It seems to me that supply has now met (And exceeded) demand. I reserved and collected mine yesterday.

Reactions: tallii4

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Reguardless if you’re an Apple or android fan, I think we can all agree as consumers it’s good when you have product availability. It’s never fun to wait when you’re super exited about a new phone.

Reactions: N0ddie

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
For the last week, all models have been available for immediate collection at all stores on my "check availability" list (Thats up to 240 miles away).

It seems to me that supply has now met (And exceeded) demand. I reserved and collected mine yesterday.

Scrap that. the phone is available at every store in the UK for collection.

Reactions: tallii4

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Once again, "analysts" getting it wrong about Apple's supply/demand balance. What we will have to wait to see (via quarterly earnings) is if Apple simply met demand much quicker than estimated of if demand was tepid for the X after launch.

If Apple managed to meet demand this quickly, it wasn't large enough to begin with.

Can't wait for Tim Cook: "we launched the iPhone X; and the supply has been off the charts..."

Reactions: aylk and wbeasley

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
$150 isn't worth getting all riled up contemplating. If that is real money to a buyer then they probably shouldn't be considering a $1000 phone either.

Exactly.

And if the $150 is a problem... how do they afford their monthly phone bill?

Unless they're on some super-cheap prepaid carrier... they're probably spending in the neighborhood of $80 every month just for service.

Suddenly... that extra one-time $150 doesn't seem so bad! :p

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Once again, "analysts" getting it wrong about Apple's supply/demand balance.
So we're just...
Yep, didn't Min say it would be well into 2018 before supply matched demand?
gonna ignore that analysts...
And this is after analysts predicted X supply wouldn't catch up until early 2018.
have updated their analyses multiple times based on updated supply chain info, and go with the original shortage prediction because it fits a certain narrative? I mean, that's cool and all, if that's what you want to do. But most of us realize Apple has worked pretty hard to improve supply over what it was when those predictions were made. We also realize that analysts predictions change often based on information received over time.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017

It matters when you check. It’s a good thing all stores have stock each day, but all have been sold out at Apple retail at the end of the day.

I tracked this for over 30 days and every Apple Store in America was sold out at close or business.
[doublepost=1513003289][/doublepost]
If Apple managed to meet demand this quickly, it wasn't large enough to begin with.

Can't wait for Tim Cook: "we launched the iPhone X; and the supply has been off the charts..."
Based on?

Apple is one of the best companies in the world at ramping large scale production. This company has sold almost 80 million phones and millions of other devices in 90 days.

They guided for $87B which means you can book it. They will not miss that and iPhone X demand has to be strong to hot that number.

Don’t doubt their prodigious ability to meet demand or that they were probably working hard on iPhone X production since July. Launch date was their choosing.

Cook already said demand was strong, but you’ll just say he’s lying even though he can’t lie.

Last edited:

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Played around with one, and even though it's nice and all, I can't justify the cost. I could afford it, but it's really not worth it for what it brings.

Reactions: wbeasley

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Reguardless if you’re an Apple or android fan, I think we can all agree as consumers it’s good when you have product availability. It’s never fun to wait when you’re super exited about a new phone.

And if you wait too much time you may end up changing your mind, Apple knows that.
A lot of people, including me, were too pessimist and thought it would have been really hard to get X before the end of the year, I'm glad Apple proved us wrong.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Once again, "analysts" getting it wrong about Apple's supply/demand balance. What we will have to wait to see (via quarterly earnings) is if Apple simply met demand much quicker than estimated of if demand was tepid for the X after launch.
Technically they didn’t get it wrong. Ming said “backordered into 2018” and it’s still backordered, just barely. Not quite 2018 yet though.

lisztomania7

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Wow, upgrading from a model you just bought a couple months ago when it was introduced. That's the quickest upgrade I've ever heard of. Even quicker than me upgrading to an X after buying a 7 Plus 11 months ago.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. But be warned, FaceID is often slower than TouchID and doesn't work all the time. Otherwise, amazing phone and worth the $$$.
[doublepost=1513001453][/doublepost]Reports of supply-chain bottlenecks have been greatly exaggerated.

My reason for upgrading so soon is an unlucky timing thing. My iPhone SE completely died several months ago (which is unfortunate - I really liked the little thing), and wasn't worth the cost of repairing it, so I limped along with a very beat-up 5C for about a month before the 8 came out. With reports saying I would likely have to wait until 2018 for the X, I decided to go ahead and get the 8. Made sense to me, at the time.

I'm sure Face ID isn't perfect, and I honestly prefer Touch ID - but I've hated the enormous bezels on iPhones for half a decade now, so I'm happy to be making the switch.

Reactions: roncron

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Played around with one, and even though it's nice and all, I can't justify the cost. I could afford it, but it's really not worth it for what it brings.
I need a new phone and I was comparing the 8 and 10, the little extra cost of the 10 vs the 8 makes it a no brainer for me.

Reactions: roncron

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Went for the "Buy One, Get One Free" 8 promo at AT&T yesterday. One of their biggest stores in Houston. He said Saturday was packed with people.

He said 8 vs X sales are 50/50.

Just all conversational.
Apple is happy to sell people the 8. That mix sounds about right. The X would be the best selling single model, followed by the 8 Plus.

Remember the 8 is $50 more than the 7 was last year. The $999 price point of the X created an anchor.
[doublepost=1513007669][/doublepost]

It varies by store. In Chicago the stores have stock but the Wisconsin and Northern Indiana stores generally do not. In previous years it has sometimes been the reverse.

LJC94512

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 14.49.38.jpg

That's all I'm gonna say.

Reactions: KPOM

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.