Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
Hate Android. Using a year old Android device and a year old Apple device is such a mismatch. My Android device loses its efficiency after 3 months. My iOs device stays zippy like new 1 year after.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Nope the email only affect iPhones. It seems to be a PDF file made to work only on iOS. Malwares can usually only corrupt one OS.

Your reasoning on why this is an issue is not strong at all. You just seem to be denying the truth, to convince yourself the iPhone is better no matter what. Good day.

That same logic can be applied to what you are saying. You found one case of a PDF file made expresely to effect iPhones. However, there are hundreds of apps that are used in the Play Store to corrupt Android phones but you say there isn't an issue. At least with the corrupt PDF you would have to be be very oblivous to open it. With an App it can just be a flat out accident. I do personally believe that iOS and for that matter the iPhone is better than any other phone or OS but that's just my opinion. Unfortunately I cannot use you as a gauge to my reasonings strength as you think one person saying something in one article on MacRumors is a powerful arguement.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
That same logic can be applied to what you are saying. You found one case of a PDF file made expresely to effect iPhones. However, there are hundreds of apps that are used in the Play Store to corrupt Android phones but you say there isn't an issue. At least with the corrupt PDF you would have to be be very oblivous to open it. With an App it can just be a flat out accident. I do personally believe that iOS and for that matter the iPhone is better than any other phone or OS but that's just my opinion. Unfortunately I cannot use you as a gauge to my reasonings strength as you think one person saying something in one article on MacRumors is a powerful arguement.

How is it an issue if it's not affecting people?

Everytime you download an app on Android, it warns you of what access is given to apps before it downloads. You have to be an idiot to download an unknown app asking for every access on your phone. How the hell is it an accident?!?! You have to open the Play Store, actually search a while for the app (Because it is not a popular, all popular ones are clean), get past the access right screen then download it. LMAO an accident?!?!

There could be millions of apps that can affect the phone but the fact is that NOBODY is affected by them.

Read the thread, it is more than one person. Versus what you found which is nothing, it is far stronger.

Seriously, your argument makes no sense at all... Accident? Really? Opening a PDF attachment on an email is an accident, downloading an app is not.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Hey I tried the Nexus 4 for a week and my experience was that I almost stopped using apps (because there are few that are worth using if you're used to the quality of iOS apps, and of course if there are any at all) and instead started using the web aquivalents for apps. And that's why I've returned to my aging but still capable iPhone 4.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I am an iPhone user since 2007. I had all the iPhones except the 4S.
Don't get me wrong, I like iOS very much...but i need a change.
I hate Android so I am considering to try a Windows 8 Phone, perhaps the new Lumia 920 from Nokia.
I am going to keep my iPhone 5 because i'm in the ecosystem, just like you guys.
The iPhone 5 is a very sexy phone, I like it, but it's not the phone..it's the OS.
I do not need fancy widgets or anything, I just need a change...
I don't know what to do... should I wait for Jony's iOS 7 ? I can wait 3 or 4 months until the first Beta to try it out.
What do you guys think ?
(Sorry for my english)

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
How is it an issue if it's not affecting people?

Everytime you download an app on Android, it warns you of what access is given to apps before it downloads. You have to be an idiot to download an unknown app asking for every access on your phone. How the hell is it an accident?!?! You have to open the Play Store, actually search a while for the app (Because it is not a popular, all popular ones are clean), get past the access right screen then download it. LMAO an accident?!?!

There could be millions of apps that can affect the phone but the fact is that NOBODY is affected by them.

Read the thread, it is more than one person. Versus what you found which is nothing, it is far stronger.

Seriously, your argument makes no sense at all... Accident? Really? Opening a PDF attachment on an email is an accident, downloading an app is not.

So let's get this straight in both cases we are dealing with something that the user would have to be stupid in order to fall for it? Sounds like both cases are equally pointless. Thanks I have to agree with you, in both cases you would have to be a complete idiot to fall for the malware. Opening an attachement on an email from a source that you don't recognize cannot be an accident. You needed to first open the email, then click on the pdf file. My only remaining arguement is that in the case of the iPhone you are getting malware from a source that has nothing to do with Apple while the Play Store issue or non issue as you say is completely involved with google/Andriod. However, this isn't getting anywhere so I'll allow you the final word since frankly it's difficult to have a constructive debate with someone who gets so bent out of shape so easily.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
So let's get this straight in both cases we are dealing with something that the user would have to be stupid in order to fall for it? Sounds like both cases are equally pointless. Thanks I have to agree with you, in both cases you would have to be a complete idiot to fall for the malware. Opening an attachement on an email from a source that you don't recognize cannot be an accident. You needed to first open the email, then click on the pdf file. My only remaining arguement is that in the case of the iPhone you are getting malware from a source that has nothing to do with Apple while the Play Store issue or non issue as you say is completely involved with google/Andriod. However, this isn't getting anywhere so I'll allow you the final word since frankly it's difficult to have a constructive debate with someone who gets so bent out of shape so easily.

Most if not all malware I receive by email are from my contacts that are infected. Opening a PDF file from an email does not make you an idiot, just an accident.

Yeah sure, I get bent out of shape easily :rolleyes: You just can't admit that this is a non-issue and still using this useless gibberish as an excuse to defend your love for iOS. If Android did not have any malware at all, you would just dig for another reason anyways.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
so true

I went from an iPhone 4 but got bored with the iOS and frustrated with AT&T to Verizon

Got a BB Bold 9930 because I wanted a complete messaging phone. But instead I missed the apps, music, browsing and ect

Then got a Galaxy Nexus so I could have better apps, decent camera, bigger screen, but Android lacks great apps and the GNex camera was so so and it had terrible battery

finally with the iPhone 5 I get a great camera, the best music player IMO, best apps, 4G with decent battery life

my MBA with my iPhone 5 is the perfect combo for my life.

----------

Hey I tried the Nexus 4 for a week and my experience was that I almost stopped using apps (because there are few that are worth using if you're used to the quality of iOS apps, and of course if there are any at all) and instead started using the web aquivalents for apps. And that's why I've returned to my aging but still capable iPhone 4.

The Nexus line is great because it allows Google to give you the purest experience but like you said the apps on Android are just meh. Even when Android gets apps that Apple has its 3-4 months later

Another thing I noticed is how Android believers fall for the spec game. A course it doesn't have a 3300mah battery (1400mah), it doesn't have a 5" screen (4"), or a quad core processor (A6), but it runs as efficiently or better than most Androids.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Another thing I noticed is how Android believers fall for the spec game. A course it doesn't have a 3300mah battery (1400mah), it doesn't have a 5" screen (4"), or a quad core processor (A6), but it runs as efficiently or better than most Androids.

Yea, the battery is something I completely forgot mentioning. Even my two year old iPhone still has far better battery life than the Nexus 4 which annoyed me a lot.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Most if not all malware I receive by email are from my contacts that are infected. Opening a PDF file from an email does not make you an idiot, just an accident.

Yeah sure, I get bent out of shape easily :rolleyes: You just can't admit that this is a non-issue and still using this useless gibberish as an excuse to defend your love for iOS. If Android did not have any malware at all, you would just dig for another reason anyways.

.................................I really just don't even know what to say. I won't beat a dead horse so I'll simply reply to your new assertions. Well first I apologize I do need to reply because you made statements that are non-factual and while my online reputation does not coincide with my real reputation I still feel the need to defend it.

Opening an email from an unknown source with an attachement and openeing the attachment makes you an idiot. If you get something with malware from a trusted contact your trust is either very misplaced or your trusted contact is trying to infect you with malware. (sure it's possible they didn't know but see my next point) Almost all emailing software scans for malware so if they sent you malware there is a serious issue there. But I agree if you get an attachment from someone trusted and it has malware it's an accident on your part, you aren't an idiot.

I say you get bent out of shape easily because you are taking a debate and adding hyperbole and getting all worked up over something that doesn't even matter. (worked up in this case is adding ellipsis to your posts and cursing needlessly, in my opinion needlessly) And you are right I can't admit this is a non-issue because it is an issue. Malware in a stock appstore is a huge issue. The fact that google is actively trying to get rid of it is evidence enough. And I don't dislike Android because it has malware in it's appstore, I dislike Android because to me it doesn't have the same polish that iOS has. I happen to like Android widgets, wish Apple would incorporate it. Lastly, you may be right I do have rather a fondness to iOS, not sure if it's love yet but I'd say it's more of a strong like.

localhost8080

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
i got the ipad mini on release day.
i was considering getting a nexus 7 instead because its half the price.

the thing that made me get the mini was: all the other apple things I have:

apple tv - i wouldnt be able to use airplay mirroring with a nexus 7

pioneer airplay speakers: i wouldnt be able to play my music through them

podcasts app: i wouldnt be able to sync all my podcasts

itunes match: doesnt exist on non- apple devices.

sure i could get the kindle app, and i do use google for email / documents, but i would be missing out on so many other things.

the 'ecosystem' is by far the best feature of the apple devices :)

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I bet the iPhone is less "sticky" for iPhone customers who don't use Macs - it would be a lot easier to switch to Android or Windows phone if it wasn't so tightly integrated to your computer.

I'm so invested in the ecosystem it would cost me thousands to switch between Mac and iPhone apps. Good thing I have no urge to, so happy with that investment.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
.................................I really just don't even know what to say. I won't beat a dead horse so I'll simply reply to your new assertions. Well first I apologize I do need to reply because you made statements that are non-factual and while my online reputation does not coincide with my real reputation I still feel the need to defend it.

Opening an email from an unknown source with an attachement and openeing the attachment makes you an idiot. If you get something with malware from a trusted contact your trust is either very misplaced or your trusted contact is trying to infect you with malware. (sure it's possible they didn't know but see my next point) Almost all emailing software scans for malware so if they sent you malware there is a serious issue there. But I agree if you get an attachment from someone trusted and it has malware it's an accident on your part, you aren't an idiot.

I say you get bent out of shape easily because you are taking a debate and adding hyperbole and getting all worked up over something that doesn't even matter. (worked up in this case is adding ellipsis to your posts and cursing needlessly, in my opinion needlessly) And you are right I can't admit this is a non-issue because it is an issue. Malware in a stock appstore is a huge issue. The fact that google is actively trying to get rid of it is evidence enough. And I don't dislike Android because it has malware in it's appstore, I dislike Android because to me it doesn't have the same polish that iOS has. I happen to like Android widgets, wish Apple would incorporate it. Lastly, you may be right I do have rather a fondness to iOS, not sure if it's love yet but I'd say it's more of a strong like.

Yes opening an attachment from an unknown is idiotic. I meant opening an attachment from a known source is not.

I initially thought you were the one listing malware as a reason why you don't use but it was Ike so I apologize for making a mistake like that.

But I stand on my position that having 0.5% of apps in an app store is a non-issue but it does not affect users at all.

And cursing needlessly? I used the work hell once...

----------

I bet the iPhone is less "sticky" for iPhone customers who don't use Macs - it would be a lot easier to switch to Android or Windows phone if it wasn't so tightly integrated to your computer.

I'm so invested in the ecosystem it would cost me thousands to switch between Mac and iPhone apps. Good thing I have no urge to, so happy with that investment.

I use a Macbook as my main computer. But most of my syncs are done through Google and Dropbox so it really does not matter which device I use.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I am an iPhone user since 2007. I had all the iPhones except the 4S.
Don't get me wrong, I like iOS very much...but i need a change.
I hate Android so I am considering to try a Windows 8 Phone, perhaps the new Lumia 920 from Nokia.
I am going to keep my iPhone 5 because i'm in the ecosystem, just like you guys.
The iPhone 5 is a very sexy phone, I like it, but it's not the phone..it's the OS.
I do not need fancy widgets or anything, I just need a change...
I don't know what to do... should I wait for Jony's iOS 7 ? I can wait 3 or 4 months until the first Beta to try it out.
What do you guys think ?
(Sorry for my english)

You're probably a ways away from seeing the first beta of iOS7 (probably June-ish) and even then I wouldn't expect to see something radically different. They aren't going to re-invent the wheel in 8 months.

torontowriter

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
iRobot

Yes...Now all they have to do is come out with an iRobot and get them to deconstruct into individual working pieces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.