You don't use your iPad as your main music player right?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Do you guys treat it as your main music player or simply duplicate whatever is already on your iPhone and iPod? Because I see all these posts where people say they bought the 64GB version because they need to fit all their music. I carry all of my music on my iPhone and can't imagine putting any tunes on an iPad. It is just simply to bulky to carry around as a music player. It also seems kind of a waste of space by putting music on it when it is already on my iPhone.

Or is it when you are browsing the web or reading a book that you like to have all your music all coming from one source?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, I use it as a music player. My iPhone I use to talk on, you know, the phone....

PS: I use it to watch movies too. And play games. Those things take up GBs of space.

3. oli356 macrumors 6502

I don't use my iPad for music. It will POSSIBLY have a couple of dozen songs on. I have a phone for music..

On the other hand, I do use it for Digitally Imported radio -- have it playing when I go to sleep.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There's no such thing as a main music player anymore. Apple devices try and spread your music across multiple platforms so you can listen to music with whatever device is closest to you. I listen to music on the iPhone the must since it's the most pocket sized and I'm going to carry around the iPhone anyways. I can actually DJ off of the iPad however using DJay. You can plug in a cross mixer to the iPad and beat-match all day long.

5. ru4real macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

You've got to love people that make blanket statements based on their own preference. I VERY definitely have a main music player, and it's my iPhone. As with the OP I can't begin to imagine using an iPad as a music player. It doesn't fit any of my docks, it makes no sense to carry around when I'm listening on my headset and it'd be crazy to use in my car when I can have a single mounted device (my iPhone) for music, calls and nav. In no scenario when I generally listen to music does an iPad make sense. But, that's just me, everyone is different.

6. cueru macrumors member

I just recently realised that I don't need to put all my music on my new iPad when I get it. I'm used to having a device to put all my music on, like my iPod Touch (though I am trying to sell that currently), but I guess for the iPad it doesn't seem as necessary to have everything. That said, I will probably put a lot more movies on it than I ever did with my iPod Touch, so I'm still happy I got the 64GB - also more room for taking video!

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And using the iPad as a music player doesn't imply one doesn't use other devices to listen to music.

I have two old iPods in each of my cars. I use a SD card for the times I use my wife's car (as she also has an old iPod plugged into hers).

I have all my music on my iPhone, on my iPad, on my MBA, on my portable drive, on my NAS and on iCloud. Call me paranoid.

I can listen to it anytime, anywhere, connected or not. Using Bluetooth or AirPlay solves most connectivity issues for me around the house.

I prefer messing with playlists on my iPad.

To each his own. ;)

8. mtvalenz macrumors newbie

Ipad is great for music when you're home. I have an airport express hooked up to my stereo and it works great with the ipad and iphone.

9. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

So if most of you don't use your iPad to store your all music as a player, why the need for 64gb?

10. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

What's "talking"?

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

iTunes match means all my music is on all my devices.

I think for £20 a year Apple really nailed it.

My iPod touch 8GB for example, is plugged into a dock in my kitchen, from it I can play my entire 52GB music library.

Same goes for my iPad and iPhone where ever I am!

12. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

not me

my computer is my main music player with my iPhone and/or old iPod Nano as backup.

Movies, documents, apps and games will most likely fill up mine.

13. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

lots of apps, books, photos, movies. that kind of stuff.

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

15. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

The iPad is not as convenient as say a smartphone for music due to it's size. But when I am at home, it is hooked up to a stand and music is air played to speakers in the house. I don't do that with my phone, however. When I am at the gym, I use my phone. Everything else at home, the iPad is king.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's what you usually do with phones. Put an "i" in front of it and we suddenly go NUTZ! :eek:

----------

For all the other stuff that's not music? :confused:

17. MelodyMarch03 macrumors member

I plan on using my phone for most of my music needs, because it is much more portable. It will fit in my pocket even just throughout the house. Ipad will be mainly for gaming, and notetaking and other productivity items, when I just don't want to haul out the MBP. I went with 16GB, because I don't plan on storing lots of movies on the device itself, not with Netflix and Hulu.

18. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I use it to stream Pandora a lot and spotify when I had that running.

Mainly because I use the iPad all the time and its more convenient to control music there than pull out an iphone/ipod. Plus the speakers are adequate for some casual background music at times.

If I had a 64 gb one I'd store music on there, but on 16gb I need the space so I just stream when I use it, plus a very selected playlist just to have something on there.

19. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I will if I am lying on the bed midday and need some music while I take a nap. Otherwise, no. I have a iPod Nano for that.

20. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I don't have any music on my iPad I do have about 8 Gb of music on my phone and 80 on an older iPod.
    When at home I usually just stream from my network as I have several terabytes of music, movies and tv shows and all of that would never fit on any iDevice.

21. Millionin20s macrumors regular

I actually have considered using my iPad as a music device in my car. If I did that, it would definitely qualify as my "main music player", since I spend enough time there.... Would that count?

22. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use pandora on all my devices. Don't really sync any of my iTunes or Mp3 music anymore unless I want something really specific.

That said my 16gb iPad got filled up fast just with Apps, not even that many.

23. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I play music on my iPad if I happen to be using the iPad for other things too, else I'll use my iPod or something. The iPad isn't really portable enough to use as a main music player.

24. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I used to think this way. Then iTunes Match came out and now I don't need more than maybe 6 gigs at a time for music. The idea of storing it all on the device is bonkers. You can't possibly listen to it all at once, so just grabbing stuff on-demand is the way to go.

Really the idea of storing all my media locally is dead to me. I store backups of it all on my NAS, and just stream or copy as needed over the internet. It's really silly to be so demanding of what amounts to months and months of media consumption that you are trying to store on one device.

25. Smithwicks macrumors 6502