You folks have created a nice little forum here!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lowendlinux, Feb 8, 2015.

1. lowendlinux, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I just want to say that you folks have created a nice little forum here. This forum seems to be the only one here thats like the tech forums I spend most of my time in. You folks make things work instead of just buying new stuff which is quite refreshing, I'm tempted to pick up a PowerBook just to have something so I can contribute. Thanks this place is refreshing, relaxing, and thought provoking. Thumbs up!

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Stay out of the gun threads. ;)

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Thank you. We do try our best to keep the spirit of PowerPC Macs alive.

4. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Thats all thats there so thats sort of like avoiding air. :p

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My philosophy:

Try to fix it, but if that doesn't work, shoot it :)

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Speaking only for myself on the following…

Macs were forced on me. I know that sounds bad, but when I first got started in the graphic design world that is what newspapers, magazines and design firms used. It's what I used in design school.

A series of small business, newspaper employers after my first one forced me to become familiar not only with the OS but with the Mac as well. These small businesses have no budget for IT departments. So, it's up to you to figure it out, make it work and/or fix it. On deadline no less.

I cannot afford new and it's only just recently that the earliest Intel Macs have started to approach my budget range. So, for me, making it work is usually the ONLY option.

In regards to my Quicksilver project it's also been a matter of wanting to max out a platform that I have always wanted using parts that were either of that time period or can be made to function on the Mac.

Lastly, if I can think of it, usually someone else has already thought about it so I burn up Google a lot seeking answers.

I'm here to share what I find and to get knowledge about what I do not know. And the community members have been very generous and kind to me over the years. I have gotten many things I could not otherwise have gotten because of the generosity of the members. I try to pass that along myself.

Now speaking (hopefully) for most of us…We are all here to keep a platform that we love relevant. You don't need the latest and greatest just to open a PDF or browse the net. And we all have fun figuring this stuff out and sharing it.

----------

I'm about ready to do that with my GigaDesigns dual processors!

There's a good reason GigaDesigns does not have the same name recognition that Sonnet does!!! :(

7. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I don't contribute much here because my PPC knowledge is extremely limited but I do check in everyday and usually learn something new. And for that I'm thankful. There's a good group of people here.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

My philosophy:

Try to fix it, but if that doesn't work, part it out and reuse or sell the parts.

----------

Agreed! Most of the other forums here just have simple people who go to work and don't tinker much and don't think much, just have the latest and greatest. I think they are what you call "mainstream". They aren't very crafty and not very interested in stuff.
    I tried to ask a question of how to muffle a hard drive and make it quieter, and I almost got stoned to death with "SSD". I should've asked in a hard drive forum where they actually know all about hard drives, etc.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

When the tech you have suites your needs just fine you have less of a need to tinker with it, it has nothing to do with not being "interested in stuff". PPC Macs are older and require more maintenance and upgrading to be kept up-to-date with today's needs.

Also, do keep in mind that today's Macs are less upgradable than they used to be. I can't even upgrade the RAM in my rMBP.

10. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Seems like that should include all PCs, since Macs are the only ones that "just work." :p

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My computer tech buddy(not a Mac guy) and shooting buddy keeps a steady supply of those for us :)

BTW, the last one we shot up was an old Dell P4. We made a bit of a game out of shooting the processor from 25 yards. We shot the heatsink off, and I put a bullet through the socket, but the processor simply wouldn't die. It fell out of the socket when the heatsink came off, then came out again when I hit the socket. It survived both of these without bending a single pin. We finally propped the processor up next to the heatsink on top of the case, but still couldn't kill it. I think he made a special place on his shelf for that survivor of a processor :)

12. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

It may not live up to that promised 10GHz but it will take a bullet! :p

13. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Let me just add my two cents on this, if it was not for all the awesome people on this forum, like Intell, Bunnspecial, 128keaton, altemose, PowerMac G4 MDD, Poiihy, eyoungren, and many other people on this forum, I would not have gotten into mac collecting. I have gone from 4 computers to 11 because of this forum. Of those 11, 6 of them are macs, and 4 of them are PPC, one is 68k, and one is Intel. This community is extremely strong and very helpful.

PPC may be dead, but we breath new life into it. When companies try and shut us down because we're "old", we find loopholes to continue using their software. We create new software for computers that were brand new 10 years ago. PPC lives on thanks to this awesome group of people.

14. technosix macrumors 6502a

I've been a Mac user since the first PowerBook was introduced. Apple has done very well for itself. I miss "Apple Computer Inc." but it's their migration to a consumer focused entertainment company with iPods and now iPhones and iPads that keep them alive.

15. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Not to post and leave

I guess I'll do the nickle tour of my history...

I'm the progeny of two teachers so I grew up with Apple, I started with an IIe, then moved to a IIc. When I went off to college I took a PowerBook 170 with me then off to the Army and after my first trip to Afghanistan in 2002 I bought a 12" PowerBook (667 DVI-Ti). In 2004 I married another Mac user, in 2005 when it was announced that Apple planned to switch to Intel I said I'm never going to buy another Mac my wife said for you maybe. ;) Well I didn't buy myself another Mac I switched to Linux because I figured that if I was going to use an Intel computer I might as well pay less. Well I ended up not paying less but I've learned a great deal using Linux over the last 9 years. I still use Macs at work, and we still have Macs at home but I still refuse to buy a new Mac for that one slight all those years ago. I'm sure one of these days I'll break down and buy a new Mac but until there is something special about them it just won't happen until that day I'll continue putting Linux on my boxes and making them mine in some little way.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I work on a Mac Pro at work all day.

There IS a difference between PowerPC and Intel Mac. The Mac Pro does it's job, but it lacks character.

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Since everyone is telling their "conversion" story, I'll throw mine in.

I'm a graduate student currently working on a PhD in Analytical Chemistry. The chemistry community is actually pretty mixed. Most analytical chemists and inorganic chemists tend toward Windows, while Organic and Biochemistry have a heavy Mac presence(although far from universal). Physical chemist are the odd ones out-physical chemistry and computational chemistry are almost one in the same, which implies a heavy reliance on *nix systems. Linux is popular, although OS X has made a lot of inroads. Whatever the case, Windows is pretty universal for most instrument software now(except for the rare one that is Mac classic or *nix specific-our NMRs are a mix of these), so you will find yourself interacting with Windows regardless of what you use for your personal platform.

In any case, for day to day work I was a pretty heavy Windows user until March 21, 2012. My only real Mac experience up to that point had been with iMac G3s in high school(hated those things at the time), a B&W G3 for Adobe Pagemaker in journalism class, and a couple of G4 towers in the computer lab at my undergrad(not sure what models, but they were graphite cased) that I used very rarely because they could print for free :) .

On March 21, 2012, however, I was working on my literature seminar on my year-old Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. The literature seminar is one of the "milestones" in our program that one must present, orally defend, and pass in order to continue on in the program-in other words it's a big deal. I was working on the Powerpoint one evening at about 10:00, and my computer shut off. Apparently, somehow or another, my Windows install had gotten corrupted, and I couldn't get the computer to reboot.

The next day, a friend lent me his "old" Mac-an Aluminum Unibody Macbook running Snow Leopard. I pulled the hard drive out of my Windows laptop, and another friend stuck it in his desktop and pulled my Lit Seminar files off of it(the powerpoint and papers I had downloaded). I spent the next few weeks learning my way around OS X as a "trial by fire," but presented and passed my literature seminar one week later on March 29. Two days after, I went to the Apple store in Lexington, KY and bought my first Mac-a 13" Macbook Pro. As it so happened, on that particular day, the University of Kentucky(which I support) and the University of Louisville(where I attend) were playing each other in the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament. I was a bit self-conscious showing my U of L student ID in Lexington to get the student discount :)(UK won, by the way).

Fast forward to the spring of 2014, and my faithful Macbook Pro started giving me problems. It was very slow, and generally just unuseable. I took it to the Apple store in Lexington again, where it took them a week to figure out that the hard drive was bad :rolleyes: . In that week, I had to dig out the same Toshiba laptop that had failed me before(since repaired) and use it.

That was the excuse I needed to buy another Mac. I went on Craigslist and bought my first PowerPC Mac, a Powermac G5 single 1.8. The rest, as they say, is history. I'm a collector by nature, and unlike some of the other things I collect, G3/G4/G5 era PPC Macs have the unfortunate combination of being relatively available and fairly inexpensive(for the most part). I'm up to about 40 PPC Macs now, and have developed a particular interest in G4 Towers. I've also stretched back into 601-604 based computers(primarily after being given some), as well as 68K Macs, although admittedly my interest in those isn't as strong as the early 2000s era computers.

I also have to thank the tremendous amount of knowledge available here-folks like Intell, Altemose, Gavinstubbs, 128Keaton, Eyeyougren, and I'm sure others that I'm(unintentionally) forgetting. They have advised me and led me in the right direction. I've taken their advice and used it to "get my hands dirty" and actually see for myself what works and what doesn't. I can't think the folks here enough for that. I've tried to-in turn-share what I've learned in my experience with these older-but still very capable-systems.

18. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

I agree there is a difference one is a Mac and one runs OS X.

19. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

I agree that the new machines do in fact lack character but not all the intel macs do. I personally own 4 PPC macs and love them! 2 Imac g3s beige G3 and emac 1.42. Although the emac isnt my favourite the G3's systems i love! And im not letting them go!

However, Im using a Macbook 3,1 as my daily Driver. And its a dream to use.It was my first ever mac, and i started with Leopard and now im on Snow Leopard. This machine is a joy to use and its my main machine even though the specs in my Gaming PC are a hell of a lot better then this. Id say the newest macs lack character but the first gen core duos and core 2 duos have some.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Way back in 1990 is when I bought my first 286 from a friend. Cost me $100 and I was paying $10 a month in installments.

He taught me DOS and I became a diehard PC/DOS fanatic. By the time Windows rolled around I was telling anyone who asked that Windows was a crutch for those users who refused to spend the time to learn DOS.

I held that attitude well in to 2000. Macs weren't even considered, being less than Windows PC machines. But I knew how to work on them and use them because that was the platform school and my industry used. Eventually though technology soon passed by my old PCs and I begin to find (starting with my TiBook 400, given to me in December 2001) that Macs just worked.

I could cripple a Mac at work, or something else could cripple it and I was still able to get the work out on deadline. At one point when my own PC failed me I was forced to acknowledge that at least on a Mac this would have been unlikely to have happened. After losing the contents of my PC's hard drive with no way to recover it and with all the problems I was then having with my PCs I abandoned PC in 2003 and have never looked back.

I support PCs at work and I am bilingual but I my preference now is solely with Mac.

21. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Am I the only one here that doesn't collect PowerPC Macs and only has one fully functional Mac that is not even here? :p

22. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

This is the best subforum on the site. The members who frequent it are very knowledgeable and you hardly ever see snarky or condescending comments.

23. RedCroissant Suspended

I love PPC Macs....

I only got into PPC Macs because my finances went down the tubes and was able to sell my 2009 iMac and buy an iMac G5, an iBook G4, and still have plenty left over. Once I realized that PPC Macs are great machines that are only slightly limited (based solely on what my computing needs are) then they became even more attractive. From that first ibook and iMac combination, I got an iMac G3, PowerMac G4 QS, a PowerMac G5, another iMac G5, 3 more iBooks, and even had previously given away laptops returned to me! So as of right now my PPC stash isn't as big as it used to be, but I do have 3 iBooks (2 G3s and a G4). One day I will get another PMG5 quad or dual 2.7, an iMac G4, iMac G3, and an iBook (clamshell) in addition to a Powerbook (I just really want a Mac with a front-facing slot-loading superdrive.

I also love this forum bc when my finances got crushed, there were great people that got my knowledge to where it needed to be. Now I am in love with these machines and with Macs in general. Knowledge of PPC has helped me and customers at Best Buy for sure but also the majority of my family members with issues.

It's just fun. And yes, I do have Intel Macs and of course iOS devices but my 27" iMac has to go (as soon as I find someone that isn't trying to seriously low-ball my price).

24. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Agreed....
    We've went from boring and ugly beige/platinum boxes to beautiful and colorful works of art, and back to boring aluminum boxes... only a little fancier.
    But Apple is bringing color back in! The new 12" Air will come in the 3 colors: Space Grey, Gold, and I think regular aluminum. Other Macs would probably get colors like this soon afterwards.

I saw the render of the golden Air and I really like it. Waiting for the golden Pros :)

Attached Files:

25. RedCroissant Suspended

I really hope they don't go that route. I like the iPhone gold color but that would be just a little ridiculous in my opinion.