"You gotta be ****ing kiddin"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Devil's Refugee, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

OMG. I've just read that Hollywood has completely lost it's marbles and is remaking The Thing once again but with a bunch of numpties at the helm :(

When will this rehash madness end and they leave well alone or has human imagination just gone down the toilet forever..... :mad:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

After the "re"make of The Italian Job I no longer trust Hollywood with anything of historic value.

3. boyreinvented macrumors member

I really liked the remake of the Italian Job. It was a good movie. The problem was the title. They simply should have renamed the thing and then elements like the mini chase would become an homage instead.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I like some of the remakes, but for the most part they suck. I about fell on the floor laughing when I saw that they were remaking "My Bloody Valentine" in 3D.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I too liked the remake of Italian Job. There are indeed some really bad remakes ... War of the Worlds comes to mind. Thanks to Tom Cruise for topping that off as an epic failure!

6. boyreinvented macrumors member

War of the Worlds is an excellent remake! It's better than the original! If you want to give an example of a bad remake then The Day The Earth Stood Still is it!

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Agreed. It was a good movie - imo much better than the original, which was indefensible. But they changed the plot so much, it should have had a different name..

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Urgh, and that too. The new WotW replaces the horror and atmosphere of the first and just throws in action scene after action scene.

I don't understand why they cant rename these films since they are nothing at all like their original counterparts.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Bless you, and all that dwell in your house.

I was tempted, as I love the original very much, but now, NEVER.

I think I will seek out a DVD-remastering, instead. :cool:

10. chedda macrumors 6502

Sacrilege

Remakes are very annoying especially classics like "the thing" the worst is that the younger audience believes it is original and worth merit. I recently watched Hancock and saw too many references to Omega man . Perhaps i am showing my age ,but come on let's try and be a little original. Rocknrolla made some references to the Long Good Friday but that was more of a nod to its fore runners in the British cinema. The only re make i have totally enjoyed is Cape Fear it added a new twist .

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ok, enough bantering positively about the commercial abortion known as "The Italian Job" remake...

Did you notice how this movie coincided exactly with the major US release of the car showcased in the movie?

IMO the car company had the damn movie made. :rolleyes:

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You guys must be OLD because the only movie that I actually heard of in this thread that was a remake was The Italian Job. I didn't even think that all these new movies were re-makes.

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

14. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Which I completely don't understand. Why? They are going to ruin something beloved from my childhood - a film that's really pretty awful in its own right. Karate Kid doesn't need to be remade, it's bad enough as it is! That goes doubly when you consider Jade Smith is playing the role of Daniel LaRusso.

I do, however, have to admit my complete hypocrisy and say that I really enjoyed Spielberg's War of The Worlds. I even liked the new Italian Job.

The Day the Earth Stood Still, however was awwwwful. Not even Jennifer Connelly and Jon Hamm could save that crapfest.

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Say it ain't so! Those movies went from bad to worse during their sequal, sequals, sequelses.

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Afraid so.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Why do they have to do it as a remake, why not just increment the sequel number. They're all essentially the same film anyway.

As for the other remakes, I think we should stop calling them remakes and just say, they ran out of good titles so they're starting to recycle the old ones. Dump the idea that the newer movie of the same title has or has to have any sort of resemblance to the older one, call similar sequences homages and be done with it.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Anybody can replace Ralph Macchio, but which actor is going to play Mr. Miyagi?

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The guy from Kill Bill, with the long moustache, if he's still breathing. :)

[​IMG]

20. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I read somewhere that it's going to be Jackie Chan.

And let me also say that I think it'll be a dud. The original was bad, but I have fond memories, since it was one of my childhood favorites.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But Jackie Chan doesn't look like a koala. This remake is going to suck!

22. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Also-one more thing. The remake is also set in China. I have no idea how loosely it's going to be based on the original, but apparently, pretty loosely.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Which is exactly why it should be yet another sequel, rather than a "remake."

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Because there is a certain amount of built-in audience willing to see a remake regardless of whether it's good or not, or how close to the original it is.

25. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Hey now. I thought that The Day the Earth Stood Still remake was actually very good. The means of destruction toward the latter part of the movie was a bit illogical....but the movie, overall, was actually pretty good. The War of the Worlds remake was great.

I think people who complain about remakes are too attached to the original versions. It's called a "remake" because it's a new writer's and new director's vision on the same concept behind a given story. Sometimes,that may vary greatly from the original writer's and director's work. With a remake, a lot of people seem to want the exact same movie as the original only with modern visuals, effects and actors.

As a guideline, what you should do when you see any "remake" is, forget that the original even existed. Don't think about the original, don't compare it to the original. Watch the "remake" as if it is a completely new and original movie/story. You'll most likely appreciate and enjoy the "remake" a lot more, then.

For the record, I also enjoyed "My Bloody Valentine 3D." However, I didn't like the ending...and who the killer ended up being. I really think we need more non-kidde 3D movies...sc-fi, horror and adventure are the best candidates....I don't know if I'd want to watch something like Frost-Nixon in 3D.