(You have insufficient privileges to post here.)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ProjectManager101, Jul 18, 2015.

1. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

Hello

Srs. I couldn't find the appropriate place to address this, my apologies in advance if this is not the right one.

It is early Saturday, 3:27 am and I am in bed with a fissure in my leg from yesterday that woke me up. Any way, I was navigating the site and I ended up in a very interesting section of political issues but when I wanted to share a point of view I was not able to and then I saw the message above. What privileges does the moderators refer to?

Thank you very much for your time.

2. Mr. Retrofire, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mr. Retrofire is correct, we have a post count limit of when people can access certain forums, such as the Marketplace (250 posts) and the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum (100 posts).

4. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

That message also appears at the bottom of closed threads. Take a look in wasteland (brace yourself for stupidity).

5. nj-morris, Jul 18, 2015

nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Yeah, you'll find a lot of threads from somebody who shares an avatar with you (and me).

EDIT: And no, I didn't change my avatar just to write this post.

6. ProjectManager101, Jul 18, 2015

ProjectManager101 thread starter Suspended

ProjectManager101

7. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Haha, I noticed a while ago (?) that you also changed your avatar. I don't think he realizes it ,,,,

8. lastcall macrumors member

lastcall

"Only users with a history of 250 posts (user title 6502 or higher) and membership
    for at least 6 months can access the Marketplace forum."

This is ridiculous. Been a registered member for like 3 years, and can't even post a damn thing.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Looks like you were finally successful!

10. alfmil macrumors regular

Only after you post things like "downloading now" or "safari is snappier" 99 times does your opinion on politics matter to the people of MacRumors.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm afraid not. ;)

Yet another 100 post min rant ;-)

12. leechie macrumors newbie

leechie

Would like to know the reasoning behind this. Seems a bit extreme.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can't give you the "mod" answer, but I'll give you my answer. First, Marketplace restrictions make a lot of sense. Even though people have gotten in and screwed members over, it is reduced when you put on the restriction. For PRSI, it keeps out those who register just to start crap with others. It doesn't always work, members who have been here a very long time can get stupid and combative as well, but overall, it stops those who stumble on the forum through searches from just popping in, popping off and taking off. It's not hard to get 100 posts if you hang out and chat among the community forums. BS posts will be deleted though, the mods are quick on that.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

GoCubsGo gives you the answer

To summarize the marketplace and the PRSI are not the main focal points of MacRumors and the post count limitations is prevent people coming in and causing issues. Nothing is perfect, but its a decent system. Back before we went to Xen, people would not even see the two forums until they met the requirements. Now anyone sees the PRSI forum, which I think may complicate the issue.

16. Tech198 macrumors G4

Technically, its not a membership, since we don't pay to post to the site :)

17. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

hmmm - I disagree on that point.
    Payment is in the form of taking the time to respond, and hopefully doing that in a positive manner, if possible.
    "Membership" is being responsible to the group, even if that idea for some seems a little vague, or out of focus :)
    I have been a member of this forum (and other similar fora) for a number of years, some times I even get compensated in various ways, and cash money never enters in to it.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically, payment is not required to be a member of anything.

Membership definition:
    Member definition:
    Clearly those that sign up are part of a group and thus a member ;)

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

Within the context of PRSI, the amount propaganda-esque articles that gets posted up there by committed users is obscene, if anyone could sign up and post stuff there instantly, it would just descend into a chaos of tinfoil hat spam.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, my recollection is that even before the switch to Xenforo, everyone could still see the PRSI forum even if they had failed to amass the necessary 100 posts before being able to post there, but, yes, the Marketplace forum only became visible once you qualified for membership of the Marketplace forum, which meant both having a post count of at least 250 posts and a minimum six month membership of the forum.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

It also dissuades banned members registering again just to do the same.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, yes, now that is something that hadn't occurred to me.

23. G4Droid macrumors newbie

G4Droid

I have to disagree as one may join the MacRumors forum and be part of a certain group of members but still is not part of the organization of Macrumors Forums that would only include the Site Owner, Staff Members, and maybe V.I.P.'s. Those would be the organization of MacRumors any one else is just a member of the Community, and doesn't belong to the organization of the forum it's self, though some part MacRumors may belong to the community or public domain. I like to think of it as being a Community Member where I'm not tied to Macrumors forum as in I don't work here.

Although we all are a small part of the same community of Those who love Apples, and Macintosh fruits.
    I think that is how we get Mac's don't they grow on you. lol

Don't mind me too much I'm mostly just trying to work toward my 100 post..

24. petalino macrumors regular

Have you tried moving your leg?