You insuring your iPhone? Who with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulobrad, Nov 10, 2007.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

Heard about these guys: http://www.cusc.co.uk/

seems like a decent deal, tried calling but couldn't get through today - reckon they'd cover iPhone just like any other model or could they be seen as a special case?

2. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I got the CarphoneWarehouse LifeLine insurance. £35 (i think) each quarter (3 months), so its about £13 a month.

3. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

OMG thats expensive! I've had mobile insurance before and haven't paid over £5. Will be looking into insurance with accidental damage.

4. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know any other companies that offer insurance?.

5. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I emailed CUSC last week and they confirmed their FoneGuard insurance would cover an iPhone.

It costs £50 per year.

I might give it a try.

6. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

state farm here....I know this is for uk but I'm just throwing all in.

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I've never heard of CUSC, has anyone used them and claimed in the past? what were they like?

8. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

9. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I've just canceled my CPWH insurance to get that. :)

10. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

There's a lot of confusion on this forum about UK insurance, and having spent some time trying to decide which policy to buy for myself, I'm not surprised!

The prices vary wildly, but the policies are also very different when you look at the detail. The best product will depend on what you're looking for.

I've tried to summarise the 3 policies that I've been looking at (CPW, O2 and CUSC). You can see the comparison here:

However, please don't assume this comparison is 100% accurate, as the policies are difficult to interpret in places, and I'm no legal expert! While the comparison should help, I strongly advise you to examine the policies, talk to the companies directly, and draw your own conclusions.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I can't be arsed with insurance. I'll just get another one.

12. Pointer macrumors regular

Nice comparison of the three products. All quite pricey but definitely considering the O2 insurance. COW insurance is way too expensive I think and the £50 one is from a company I have never heard of.

13. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

It's not just the handset you could lose.

My phone was recently stolen. The thief ran up a bill in excess of £150 on overseas calls within a couple of hours. I had to pay for those calls.

Fortunately, I was near the end of the contract, so I didn't also have to face continuing to pay for an unusable contract for too long (as well as having to get a new handset).

In the absolute worst case, your losses could run into a few thousand pounds.

I'm starting to sound like an insurance salesman :eek:

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've had a mobile since 1987 and never had one nicked, so I'll bank on my luck holding...

15. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

You got the O2 cancellation part wrong. It is free. You can cancel in the cooling off period instantly and with 30 days notice at any other time all free

16. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Sorry to tell you, but there have been numerous articles and studies into phone shop provided nsurance and it has been proven to be a rip off. I've had awful experience of it myself. When the O2 salesperson if I wanted insurance with my phone I declined without even bothering to hear what they were going to offer me.

The opening poster has linked to a very good offer - I may take it up myself!

17. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I had exactly the same outlook, but now I'm not so sure.

It was taken from my bag while climbing aboard a train at a fairly rural station, where you wouldn't expect thieves to be prowling. I didn't realise it had gone until I arrived at my destination, by which time the damage had been done.

My chat with the police afterwards shocked me - it's happening many times every day, even here in a rural area. I presume it's much worse in the cities.

However, I guess one loss in about 15 years is not too bad, and 15 year's of insurance premiums would have cost a lot more. I'm still not sure whether I want to take the chance of a theft that could potentially cost me thousands though...... :confused:

18. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Sorry, perhaps I didn't word that part very well.

I'm not referring to cancellation of the insurance policy - it's cancellation of the mobile phone contract. I think one of the reasons why CPW is so expensive is that it allows you to escape from your mobile contract after 9 months without penalty. They pay off the remainder of your contract.

19. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

ahhh ok makes sense now

20. arcsbite Guest

My Home insurance (contents insurance with Norwich Union) covers me.
    I'm covered for "Personal Belongings" including my phone, laptop, wallet, cash ect up to the tune of £1500.

21. Mr Ikasu macrumors member

What I want to know is if you lose your phone can you just buy a new one for £269 and use it in place of the one you lost or does it have to somehow go through O2.

The CPW sales people would have me believe that I would just have to pay for the remainder of the contract and start a new one if I wanted a new iPhone.
    If I didn't have insurance of course!

Surely this can't be the case. Can it?

22. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

It may cover the handset, but it probably won't cover the call costs if your phone is stolen.

23. cherbert macrumors member

I have had numerous phone calls to o2 Customer Services today and I think a lot of you should be very worried - especially those of you who think you can just buy a new one if you loose your iPhone!

After speaking with about 3 different people at o2 I finally got clarification that in the event of loss you can in fact buy a new iPhone and attach it to your existing contract but this will cost you the full price of approx £490!

It would seem that in the case of the iPhone some sort of insurance policy is favorable. I have requested the o2 insurance from their website but I think that I may cancel this and speak with my Home Insurance company and get them to cover my iPhone upto £500.

Let me just be clear with what o2 are saying - - YOU CANNOT simply buy a £269 iPhone and get it connected to your existing contract. You would have to pay the full sim free price of £490.

Its early days but I think there will be lots of complaints when o2 start getting calls from people who have lost or damaged their iPhones and they realise they have to fork out 500 quid to get it replaced!!!

24. Fatgadget macrumors newbie

Fatgadget

Mind if I ask how you cancelled it, either I am blind or stupid but I cant find anything in the policy or their website about how you cancel it.

The Muppet in the Carphone Warehouse shop also told me that you couldn't get insurance with O2 for the iPhone :mad:

25. cherbert macrumors member

I think by law you will have a statuary 14 day cooling off period in which they have to allow you to cancel.