Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Two chicks at the same time.

I was wondering when someone would post that, ****in A.

I would go out and pick up a 2010 Plum Crazy Purple Dodge Challenger SRT-8

I would get the ball rolling on a new Custom home.

I would go on vacation to Europe.

Get college funds for my kids going.

Then I would invest the rest and live off it comfortably.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'll just put it in the bank and live off the interest.

At 2% (you can do better than that, but I'm being conservative), you get $1.2 million a year.

I'll do that. Though I'd spread it around so if the bank/fund I put it in went under, I wouldn't lose that cash.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Anyone whos ever said that has been ignorant of the fact people don't expect to win, its fun to play, its a buck.

As for what I'd do, probably invest it in a business or two.

Lotteries ARE fun to play, because there IS a minicule chance of winning.
That having been said, far too many people of limited means spend too much money thinking they have more of a chance than they do.

delux246

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'd have a pool built in my backyard and then have the rest made into $1 bills to put in my pool so I can swim in my winnings every day...

not really.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Lotteries ARE fun to play, because there IS a minicule chance of winning.
That having been said, far too many people of limited means spend too much money thinking they have more of a chance than they do.

And that is the problem. The people who do end up playing them are the ones who can least afford it.

For entertainment, check out this series on TLC called "The Lottery Changed My Life". It's like Behind the Music for lottery winners. I feel sorry for some of those folks.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
1) Pay for the Master's degree I'll be getting next year
2) Spend $1m-$2m on a apartment/loft/condo in the Hollywood area
3) Spend $2m-$3m on a place near where I'm at now
4) Spend $2m-$3m on a place in Maui
5) Spend $1m on a villa in the Italian countryside
6) Spend $2m-$3m on a place in Paris
7) Purchase a few vehicles (I'll need on in Hawaii, one in Italy, and I'll take two here at home), probably go for a few used Mercedes (BMW Convertible for Hawaii) in the $30k range and a Ferrari for weekend fun at home; there goes $500k.
8) Continue funding my education (I'd probably move on to a JD or PhD and sell the Hollywood apartment to buy one where ever I went to school) and travel quite a bit
9) Put the remainder in non-real estate investments ($60m - $12.5m = $47.5m) and live off the interest/dividends, etc. Assuming 2%, I'll take in about $950,000 a year, should be sufficient to shuttle me between houses (some of which I'll let out as vacation rentals when I'm not occupying) every once in awhile and pay my day to day living expenses.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
And you would have wasted every single cent. If you want to donate it donate it to people or organizations that actually make a difference in the world and have some value.
Wrong thread for that argument mate. Go explore the PRSI section!

Anyway, I think most people here have pretty much summed it up, but I'll add my own details:

•Pay off all debt my parents have
•Buy my parents a new house, car and holiday
•Donate lots to charity
•Buy myself a car
•Invest invest invest...until I'm out of uni in 5 years. Then use it to buy a house etc etc.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
60 Million, eh? Let's see...after the Gob'ment take its 40% and the wife takes her cut... I've got a cool $50 dollars to pocket. I guess, I'd buy myself a nice dinner to celebrate and get ready for work the next day.;)

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
while Knowing that buying a lotto ticket is statistically -ev is fine with me as long as it's like a 120 mil jp or so. I'd rather spend a dollar and have a shot at living a luxurious life than not givemyself the opertunity. Even If I bought a txket a week, that's still only 52$ or one night out at bars/ resturaunt

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
You would pay about 25-30 million in taxes right off of the bat, so you are actually working with about 30 million, which is generally considered about the minimum needed to make a foundation that can have a difference in the world.

I would work on doing that.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
And that is the problem. The people who do end up playing them are the ones who can least afford it.

For entertainment, check out this series on TLC called "The Lottery Changed My Life". It's like Behind the Music for lottery winners. I feel sorry for some of those folks.

Saw one of those a while ago. Really cool and sad stories. Although the reoccurring type of people always play. People who can't fully afford to take care of themselves and sometimes family really annoys me. At least now they can help out others and even themselves.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
The Correct answer here is a ......................wait a minute the odds are for the most part 0. Your not going to hit the jackpot but I guess if you Did a new Dodge Challenger SRT with 425 HP and every option would be fun for starters:D

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
The Correct answer here is a ......................wait a minute the odds are for the most part 0. Your not going to hit the jackpot but I guess if you Did a new Dodge Challenger SRT with 425 HP and every option would be fun for starters:D

The difference between 0 chance and 1e-1000000000000000000 is infinite

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Have one eight of it stolen by the government..

1/8th? Where do you live? I wish the government would take only 1/8th of lottery winnings! The really amount is a lot closer to 1/3 (in reality, a large lottery win will put you into the 35% tax bracket).

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
You're going to owe some serious taxes on that if you win. You will not be left with $60 million.

The top tax bracket is currently around 39%, and this would apply to your $60 million "earnings." You would be left with about $36,600,000.

In any case, because of this thread I have decided to go buy a $5 ticket for tonights drawing. Normally I only play one number per drawing. Maybe I'll beat you to it! Are you playing quick picked numbers or your own numbers?

Edit: Some calculations I made: For every jackpot winning Powerball ticket, 23,494 properly used condoms fail. For every jackpot winning Powerball ticket, 243 women give birth to quadruplets, via natural insemination. For every jackpot winning Powerball ticket, 278 people get struck by lightning.

Good luck!

Edit: I ended up buying eight additional numbers (in addition to the number I always play) so my odds are now officially 9 in 195,249,054 or 1 in 21,694,339. :D

No ice please

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
1/8th? Where do you live? I wish the government would take only 1/8th of lottery winnings! The really amount is a lot closer to 1/3 (in reality, a large lottery win will put you into the 35% tax bracket).

I think its 1/8th thats what my mother said but shes full of it sometimes. Haha

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Actually, I've always wanted to do crazy stuff if I ever became super wealthy. Well, ok, I guess it would be "eccentric", since only poor people are called crazy. :)

Anyway, I would something like get a bunch of cash and put it in classic style (mythical) pirate treasure chest, and then bury it in some random location. I would then put out a series of weird clues in a viral video type format and see how long it would take someone to find it.

I would like to say that since I'm pretty frugal and have gotten much better with money management, I would do well with a huge cash winning. I'm a big believer in saving and investing. The truth is, however, I would probably go broke pretty quickly doing a bunch of "Brewster's Millions" type crazy stuff.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
1) pay off my debts
2) Pay of my family members and close friends debts
3) set up nice retirement fund for my mother and aunt
4) set up serious scholarship program at various schools I have attended
5) buy most of the just delisted Agricultural Land Reserve properties so stupid condos do not get put in some of the best growing soil in the area and use it to set up a organic farm that would supply food and jobs to underfunded schools and families
6) Buy a building so the youth organization i volunteer with wont have to keep moving every few months as pushed out by crazy rents
7) finally pay for my ankles and eyes to be fixed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.