You know what I love most about my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Herb Dorklift, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Herb Dorklift macrumors newbie

I've had it a few months now, and it's got something no other computer I've ever used has.

It's silent.

I love it :)

Also, on another unrelated note, I'm buying an external HDD this weekend for use with Time Machine. How often should I back up? Every day? Every week? Or whenever I do a big change to the system?

2. B5Burn macrumors newbie

With Time machine, turn it on, done. Auto backup of everything the first time, then incremental backs ups every hr, every day, every week......

I love TM.

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Unless you want to keep it in a separate place... I have clients that backup routinely (once a day or week) they just hook up the drive and let it to its thing. The first time you run it, it will take a long time.. hours. But after that if you backup say once a week, it will only take a few minutes.
    Keep in mind that you wont be able to grab stuff from the trash so much... example, Lets say you backup once a day... You backup in the AM and then disconnect the drive. Then, during the day you download or make a file ... you work on it and save it, etc.. but then you throw it away (and empty the trash). The next day when you back it up... the TM wont even know that the file existed... whereas the TM that is always connected will catch it and you can resurrect it.
    Hope that all makes sense.

WW

4. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

hmm this isn't the rightest place to ask but does anyone know if i can connect an external drive to the router and use (is there one?) a time machine program for windows?

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Apple TimeCapsule hooks up tO your router. They are pricey, but are very convenient.

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, all my Apple comps are dead quiet (even my 27" iMac). You get used to it & only notice when another computer sounds like a helicopter taking off in comparison!

7. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

That would only be true if there had been an hourly backup during the life of file, yeah?

8. cheeseblock macrumors member

My favorite thing about my MBP is the mouse/trackpad. The different gestures such as zoom, scroll, and exposé are so cool. I could never go back to a windows laptop, ever

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an SSD in my 13" MBP, and what a difference that machine has and my Core i7. Now my desktop isn't all that loud as desktop goes, but there's a huge difference between that and the silent running of my MBP.

10. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I agree, one of my favourite features is also the trackpad and gestures. After getting used to using them all the time, definitely couldn't go back. Which is why when I got a laptop stand I decided to go with the Magic Trackpad instead of the Magic Mouse - I couldn't function properly without my gestures :D

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Agreed. The trackpad is a thing of beauty and even after being run ragged for 12 hours or more the MBP stays...silent.

My Dell inspiron kicks in the hi-speed fans just running MP3`s in Media Player!

12. zodqyv macrumors regular

Industrial design. Solid hardware. Clean and simple. I love the unibody, both MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

13. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I have heard that before on these forums, but I have the 27" i7 with a 2TB HDD and it is so quiet I literally have to put my ear right next to the case and listen intently to hear anything. Perhaps it is something to do with the model of HDD, or maybe I just got lucky!

14. maggotmac macrumors newbie

Couple of tips...

- Format the new drive when you get it to the Mac journaled file system.

- Partition it into sensible portions to leave space for other back ups if you would like or keep control of time machine. I found you can't limit how much it uses apart from partitioning. I have a 1TB drive and I give time machine 500GB for backups.

- I have all my movies on external drive and tell time machine to not back up the Movies folder in \Home. This way it is not backing up 1GB or so if I change or rename my movies or copying across so I can watch on my laptop and then delete.

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

My MBP isn't silent...

Never has been, and I've had it three years. Works great, but definitely noisy.

16. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

Yeah, it's silent, but it is too hot.
    70C for just browsing. :mad:

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't get people... duh a $2000 computer is going to be nice.

But my Dell Vostro is also silent. And with Windows 7, I can have it backup to a network share automatically. It's <1" thick, with a gorgeous 13" LED screen and almost 3 hours of battery life while playing video games.

Seriously, you guys need to compare $2000 Mac's to $1000 PC's, not $300 P'soS.

18. jacobp89 macrumors newbie

considering I only paid about $1000 for my MBP, guess I don't fall into this category of "guys" you called out. I'll choose my MBP over a Dell any day. I would never in my life touch a Dell. Oh, and you can share a macbook over a network too. Also there is something called pogo plug, maybe you've heard about it. You can plug it into a network and backup, share, stream anything you want to any computer on your network.

Back to the original topic of this post. I also love how silent my MBP is. Unlike most PC's, which I will not name any but you get the idea, is very noise, especially during boot up. I can have my MBP running full speed for hours and never hear it.

19. CopperX macrumors member

Kick the external HDD and use Backblaze instead.

I gladly pay $5 a month for peace of mind and not having to worry about making backups. Also, I get to access all my HDD contents from anywhere in the internet. WIN-WIN.

20. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

I love the touchpad. That and it's great resale value is the only reason I'm buying a mbp. don't care much for osx and the rest, if apple didn't have that sextastic touchpad I'd be shopping elsewhere :p